Geese

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

NewGuy

Geese

Post by NewGuy »

Just went this morning and picked up a Browning Silver Hunter in shadowgrass camo. I went out for geese and ducks last weekend as the farmer where i hunt asked me to get rid of some. Now i can leave the scope and rifled barrel on the 870. I can't believe i'm having a hard time getting guys out. Heading out this saturday morning to try it out. Any pointers on setting up the silouettes to draw 'em in close? Total rooky when it comes to waterfowl and the guy who knows, doesn't want to go out.(too far from him). I managed to get 1 goose and 2 ducks last Friday evening and Saturday morning but there was a heck of alot of ducks circling but not coming close enough. Any pointers are appreciated.
TPM

Post by TPM »

It's all about decoy spreads and calling. I can't beleive you can't find anyone to go. A lot of people in our area are looking for good place to goose hunt. I love hunting geese but the next two week-ends are dedicated to deer.
Big Al

Post by Big Al »

The real answer to your problem of somebody to go along with you. You need a retriever buddy. You can always rely on, he or she will always want to go along with you. They don't over sleep, no complaints about hang overs. Never had one of my Chessies complain about the cold. And the number one reason for choosing a retriever, they don't loose many birds. As a matter of fact you will find yourself hunting more just to please your new hunting buddy. Do not buy the argument that they get pissed at you when you miss a bird, this is untrue. The real reason he might hiest his leg by your pant leg after a missed shot is not a rebuff of your marksmanship, nut rather to hide his disappointment in you and to put the blame on himself in case anybody is watching ( when you jump back and scream, folks that might be watching will figure you must be snake bit and that's why you missed). In other words take your best friend on this earth along, you'll never regret it!
Fox

Post by Fox »

Hey man, if I was still down around that area I would head out with you. My only waterfowl success came from walking the creeks and jumping them. Good luck, I am sure there are a few people in the corn belt to help you out.
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

I wish i had your problem, i'm on the other side of the fence, can't really find places that will allow hunting, except for public land. But public land on the weekends tends to get a bit to crowded.
brownie

Post by brownie »

Hey Newguy. Man if you are looking for a hunting partner Id be gald to tag a few geese with yeah. I have head a bit experience in goose and duck hunting in fields. Give a pm if you are interested. Cheers!!!

brownie