2 firearms at the same time?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mighty Mooser

2 firearms at the same time?

Post by Mighty Mooser »

Is it legal in Ontario to carry 2 firearms at the same time when hunting deer. For instance next week shotgun season sitting in a ground blind or treestand with shotgun and black powder at the same time? Only reason I ask is I have a few long shots in a hay field that would be better suited for the blackpowder from the ground blind????
When you whack them you better stack them!!!
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

I would check with the mnr on that one.on page 55 of the regs it states.however when hunting deer during a rifle/shotgun season you may also carry a rifle or shotgun for smallgame in addition to your firearm thats meets the specs to hunt deer because it is the same type of firearm.
Tom

Post by Tom »

I asked a CO a few years ago that same ?. He did not seem to really want to answer but he did. He told me that it is legal to carry two firearms (as long as it is the proper firearm for the season) for hunting unless you are hunting migatory birds. Migatory birds you must not have more then one gun uncased at a time, but other then when hunting migatory birds, you can have two firearms (guns or bows) uncased and loaded at the same time. Remember that each weapon must be in the correct season. One can't be a rifle if rifles are not allowed.

Good luck.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Mighty Mooser

Post by Mighty Mooser »

During shotgun season for deer, you can use obviously shotgun, blackpowder, crossbow or bow. no rifles allowed down here in wmu 65. Although my blackpowder shoots just as far as one 200 yards +/-
I just want the flexibility in the hay field if the big fella walks out at 200 yards and won't come in which he has done 2 years running. I would like to reach out an touch him. I can group the size of my fist at that range with black powder. Shot gun I have shot 140 +/- but am dropping quick. The trick is to know your weopons capabilities!!!
Fox

Post by Fox »

You probably won't see him if you bring the long range gun, ha.

I have heard that there are no legal problems but you have to remember you have to be in full control of the firearm. This means that you cannot set it down fully loaded against a tree next to your stand. Most of these rules are up to interpretation by the CO, just be conscious of that and you should be fine. An easy way with a black powder would be to "unload it" just don't have the cap on there unitl you think you may need the gun.
TPM

Post by TPM »

During shotgun season for deer, you can use obviously shotgun, blackpowder, crossbow or bow.
Not here in WMU 80. November controlled hunt is shotgun/muzzleloader only and December is muzzleloader/archery only. Bows have to go away durung the first week of November.

Why not just carry the muzzleloader? Sounds like it's good for any range.
ch312

Post by ch312 »

ive always been told you can carry as many guns on you at any time as long as they are legal in that area/season.

i regularly take my 17hmr on my shoulder and carry my 870 incase i see a grouse or rabbit. with this combo i can shoot any small game under 150 yards or so. :wink:
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

Man I am already carrying a portable or a climber, one gun, scent stuff, rattle antlers, safety harness, rain gear, compass, range finder, binoculars, folding saw, rope for dragging if I get lucky, a picture of the girl friend, MNR permits and appropriate papers, topo map. And now you tell me I can carry another gun. Where to f*&k am I going to put it. There is only one orfice left with that has the strength to carry it. I ain't going to put it there.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

kendo kid wrote:Man I am already carrying a portable or a climber, one gun, scent stuff, rattle antlers, safety harness, rain gear, compass, range finder, binoculars, folding saw, rope for dragging if I get lucky, a picture of the girl friend, MNR permits and appropriate papers, topo map. And now you tell me I can carry another gun. Where to f*&k am I going to put it. There is only one orfice left with that has the strength to carry it. I ain't going to put it there.
well said.
:lol:
Mighty Mooser

Post by Mighty Mooser »

Set up the ground blind today, he has a scrape 130 yards from it. I can make this with my shotgun, hust aim a little high. This would be all I am carrying from the truck to the ground blind 350 400 yards. Anyone ever use an archery 3/d target as a decoy? we tend to get lots of deer coming out to the edge of this hayfield, but are leary, as coyotes lay in wait, an run them hard into the high fences. I have seen carcases. I am tempted to put the decoy out in the field and bleat a few times. How far can deer see clearly Field is about 200 yards across and I would hope the deer wouldn't be as coutios seeing another deer in the field. I may even get a coyote!
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

If it doesn't work for the deer you can always do target practice at the coyotes :lol:
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

Actually i was just thinking and one of the guys i went hunting jack rabbits with last fall carried a Berreta shotgun for those flushing jack's up close and a Ruger .223 on his back, for the ones that take of down field out of range for the shot gun. Never seen him shot the rifle, but the other guys that were there have seen it and they say the guy pick them up full tilt very far. :shock: