Quartering Towards You - who has had success with this shot?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ch312

Post by ch312 »

Annapolis wrote: If it was the bigger guy I would have given it a whirl.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

dude listen to yourself...you make it seem ok to take a low percentage shot if its a bigger animal. it doesnt matter if its a fawn or a record buck, u should still wait for the proper shot to lower the chances of wounding the animal...its called respect for the animal you hunt:wink:
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

Seems like people are lumping head on shots and quartering towards shots in the same category.

I would not take a head on shot. But quartering towards is a doable shot if the animal is close and not alerted. No shot is good if the animal is looking at you.

It would also depend on the angle of course. You want to at least have a chance at both lungs.
shifty

Post by shifty »

I have taken deer with frontal and quatering towards positions. One, I would rather have these shots on the ground then in a treeand you better have a tough broadhead if you hit any bone.
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

shifty wrote:I have taken deer with frontal and quatering towards positions. One, I would rather have these shots on the ground then in a treeand you better have a tough broadhead if you hit any bone.
Very true about the broadhead. On my qtr toward shot my 100 grain muzzy was all bent up, but it was a pass through. I was in a tree but only up maybe 12 feet.
exokidd

Post by exokidd »

I shot a small doe this year from the treestand, she jumped the fence and was walking towards me on my left side. I shot about 10 yards away went through her ear and through the spine. Slicktrick went right through the spine and kept going. She went down immediatly in her tracks and game over. Thats the first one that was shot in that position for me.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I took a cow elk this fall with a quartering toward me shot. I held on her for some time, hoping she would turn a bit more, but she didn't and it appeared she was about to step behind cover. I took the shot, but either she moved or I shot too far back. We found her and finished her off the next morning. Luck, lucky, lucky.

I don't think I would try that shot again. It's a very narrow window between the guts on one side and the shoulder bone on the other. I don't like that shot.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.