Deet last Evening

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sierra

Deet last Evening

Post by Sierra »

Back was bothering me yesterday, so I stayed around the house watching some football and doing domestic chores until around 1:45. Wife wanted me to go to a church function earlier but I refused, so I was at the house alone. My buddy ladder stand is about 600 yards from the house. I decided I would go out to the stand, I could sit there as comfortable as at the house.

I showered with scent free soap, dressed, headed for the stand. My stand is on the edge of a 180 acre field, 300 yards wide with a wood lot with pines on the opposite side, where deer like to bed which is adjacent to a standing cornfield.

I had taken some camo cloth to hang around the top of my ladder stand for additional consealment.

About 5:25 three does came out of the pines on the far side of the field starting to feed. After a few minutes of feeding they lifted their heads and starred back towards the pines.

Shortly a small buck appeared and the does took off. The does did not want any part of that buck. Two of the does went one direction and the other head in my direction. I changed my grunt call to a doe bleat. About midway across the field is a small ravine that I lost sight of her for awhile. She reappeared about 80 yards to my left and 50 yards from my edge of the field. She was a very nice size doe.

I gave a couple of bleats and she stopped and looked my way. She flict her tail and started to walk in the direction she was going. I did not think she was going to give me a chance for a shot.

I gave a few more bleats, she stopped. I continued with a few very soft bleats. She turned and started directly towards me. Again she turned and paralleled the edge of the field about forty yards out directly in front of me. She was at a trot. I shot, she immediately went down. I had not taken my range finder so I was guessing the distances. She lifted her head and tried to get up but her rear legs were dragging. She crawled 10 yards towards me and stopped. I thought that she had exspired. I had not recocked my crossbow thinking she would soon die.

Again she raised up and crawled to about 25 yards to the left of my stand. I recocked the crossbow and took another shot, hitting her directly through the lungs. She exspired. I am guessing that she will tip the scales at 180 or 190 pounds. She is a large doe.

I was using 85 grain Thunderheads on Wolverine bolts.

The first shot had broken both rear legs only inches below her hams. I recovered the fletched half of that bolt.
2006 Exocet 200
3x ProView Scope
85 grain NAP Thunderhead
Wolverine Hunter 20" CrossBolts
Original Stock String
Bolt Speed 320 fps
exocet

Post by exocet »

Congrats :D Jack.
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

Congrats!!