Dead deer attract others?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Grizzly-Papa

Dead deer attract others?

Post by Grizzly-Papa »

I stepped out my front door this morning at 7:00 to get the news paper and there was a doe on my front lawn eating grass. Coincidence or could she smell the buck hanging in the garage?

I saw her again later this morning in the backyard.

What do you guys think? :?: If you were to perhaps leave the rear legs or another part of a deer body in the bush would it increase your chances? That is before the coyotes and ravens showed up.

BTW, thanks to all of you for the kind congrats. I brought the head this evening to the taxidermist after a discussion with my wife (which I won :) ) and he also liked the rack. Very unique he said.

Grizzly-Papa
Life is too short to spend it indoors!
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Interesting question, Grizzly.

In my experience, deer don't pay a lot of attention to dead deer, period.

I've poleaxed deer in beanfields only to have others resume feeding only yards away from the fallen.

I've seen deer walk right past yesterday's gutpile.

I've seen deer feed within proximity to a decayed carcass.

And most curiously, when I killed a big buck (for here) last year, one of the group of does he had been with (that's right ... not just one, but about eight) began criss-crossing the field behind my house, where I was working at getting him hung up for processing. She got within ten yards of the game hoist several times, with me standing about twenty yards from her ...wearing an orange hat! She was baaing and mewing the whole time, eager to be bred.

Why did she do this? Because she knew Big Daddy was there? He was there, of course, just vertical and hanging head-down ... and dead! Was it that she could smell him?

I know that she knew I had taken him off, and that he was on that hoist.

Strange, but true.

Who knows? It certainly couldn't hurt to hang his tarsal glands up on your next hunt.

Grizz
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

You guys have some friendly deer in your neighborhoods.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Don't think it's the DEAD deer that attracts others, but it might be the odors and/or sight of another deer.
wabi
terry-1

deer

Post by terry-1 »

I hammered a big buck this blackpower season and there were 7 does with him. The came back after the shot and stood around him for about 15 minutes before I climbed out of my stand and ran them off.
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Simply put, it is the scent. In the woods, the deer's nose is king. Knock a deer down and you have the ultimate attractant laying there. It is human scent free and really smeels like a deer (because it is a deer). Unlike urine in a bottle, all the scents would present as all the glands are there would still be producing some odour.

I knocked a doe down last fall and saw her go down 60 yards away. There were other deer with her that took their time clearing the area so I just sat and watched and bathed in the moment. Not long after that, downwind of the doe, a nice buck showed up. Unfortunately, he eventually got downwind of me and left. Nothingis oure science but the fact that he was tracking straight to her from a downwind position amkes you wonder.

Scent for thought.
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_17947.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/725352.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/01.jpg[/img][/url]
Tom

Post by Tom »

Many times in our rifle hunts, you sould get a chance at another deer when you were gutting the first. We always kept the guns handy when gutting, learned the hard way.

A few years ago, my uncle took a nice Doe, while gutting it, near his compost pile, we cut off the tarsel glands. But I forgot to pick them up after hanging the deer in the barn. The next morning they were gone, but for 3 weeks there was a large buck that would walk all around that area, looking for the doe that made that scent.

As what was said above, it is a natural deer scent (the dead deer) to attact the other deer.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Grizzly-Papa

Post by Grizzly-Papa »

Well, that doe jumped in front of me again this morning in the backyard at 10 yards distance in my pine forest while I was getting firewood with my ATV.

I was still wearing my clothing that I used to process the buck.

Now I'm getting really nervous :shock: :o

I'm stripping down, throwing my coveralls in the wash and taking a long shower with bleach just in case.................. :lol:

Grizzly-Papa
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Is she a yearling doe, Grizzly?

Grizz
Grizzly-Papa

Post by Grizzly-Papa »

"Is she a yearling doe, Grizzly? "

She is a fair size but young. I would have to say that she was born in the spring of this year based on her behaviour, but no older than the spring of 2005.

Grizzly-Papa
Broadhead

Post by Broadhead »

I shot a 5 Point Buck last Gun season. Walked back to the House let him have his 30minutes or so... When i returned there was a 8 Point Buck walking around him (with in 3 ft) i had to almost chase him off to get that
Deer.
That was a first for me.....
Mighty Mooser

Post by Mighty Mooser »

True story on Wed morning!
4 pointer Buck came out my brother shot him, waited 15 minutes called for someone to bring the pick up truck. As he is fiddling with his cell phone he doesn't notice a nice doe walk 100 yards out into the hay field to look at the buck. He looks over at the buck, and see's this doe with both her nose and tail sticking straight out 10 yards from the buck, needless to say she will not do that again.
When you whack them you better stack them!!!
dsr

Post by dsr »

It might be related to the rut.
No experience with deer and this phenomenon but my son and his buddy shot a gobbler some springs ago. The gobbler had been with some jakes.When he went down they ignored the shooting and immediately laid a beating on him. I guess they saw their chance and weren't going to pass it up.
If you are still alive your mission here on Earth must not be completed.

Old rock hounds never die.They just slowly petrify.
Bucko

Post by Bucko »

I had a herd of cows move in to the wood lot where I had just field dressed a deer and too my surprise they winded the site and moved toward it getting worked up with increasing mooing.Several came close to the carcass as if investigating.Tell ya the truth it got sort of tense with the big fellas acting that way.I think the scent of the strong,fresh blood got them worked up
TPM

Post by TPM »

The guys at a neighboring hunt camp shot a small buck one evening and had it hanging in a tree next to their cabin. We had a bit of snow over night and when they got up in the morning there was a fresh set of tracks down their laneway that went right to the hanging buck and back out their laneway.