If you're thinking about getting a crossbow...My experience

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

WLStClair

If you're thinking about getting a crossbow...My experience

Post by WLStClair »

If anyone reading this is thinking about getting a crossbow, I thought I'd share my first experience with one this past weekend.

Rather than fight with my wife over hunting expenditures I referree soccer games to feed the cost of my hunting addiction. The High School season just ended here in Tennessee and I decided to spend this spring's ref money on a crossbow since I've always wanted one and they've recently been made legal to hunt with during archery season. I ordered it from www.AddictedToArchery.com and it arrived a few days later.

It was an Excalibur Exomax with the Scope Accessory Package and the optional Fast Flight Flemish string. After putting it together on Saturday evening I went out to the back yard to sight in the scope. I have one of those "Big Block" archery targets made of two foot thick heavy dense foam designed to stop high velocity carbon arrows. I stuck a 1" square piece of duct tape on the center of the target and took the first shot from 10 yards...hoping that I'd hit somewhere on the block and could step the scope in from there.

The first shot out of the box hit within an inch of the tape...I was pretty surprised. To make sure it wasn't a fluke, I pulled the arrow with the optional arrow puller and took a second shot...it hit exactly the same spot. I adjusted the scope down 1" and left 1/2" and took the third shot. It hit the tape. It was getting dark so I put my new purchase away and went back in the house with a smile on my face.

The next morning was the last day of turkey season so I decided to go turkey hunting and then fine tune the scope at longer distances while I was out on the hunting property. The scope that comes with the crossbow has marks on the verticle crosshair for every ten yards from 10-50 yards and I wanted to see if I could actually hit something with an arrow at 50 yds.

The primary crosshair on the scope is for 20 yds, so when I got done turkey hunting, I put the Big Block target at 20 yards and took my fourth shot ever with a crossbow...This time with a hunting tip on the arrow. I hit 1/2" high and 1" left. I pulled the arrow and took a second shot. Again, I hit EXACTLY the same spot...but this time, I guess since I was using the hunting tips, the arrow went completely through the 2' thick target and was laying on the ground 10yds behind it. All I could do was smile and shake my head in awe over the accuracy and power of this new marvel.

After adjusting the scope and moving the tape to a different spot on the target, I took a third shot at 20 yds...it hit the 1" tape. Satisfied that the scope was sighted in, I decided to take a shot using the 50 yd mark in the scope just to see what would happen. Since the wind was gusting at 10-15 MPH I was a bit concerned about missing the target altogether at this distance and losing my arrow. But I held steady on the shooting stick and pulled the trigger. This was the first shot where I could hear two distinct "pops"...about 1/2 second apart...one at firing of the arrow, and one at impact on the target...1" high and 1" right.

In seven shots...right out of the box...never shot one before...I had just put an arrow within 1" of a 1" spot at 50 yds. I don't think I've ever been as impressed and amazed with anything in my life and just had to share this experience with anyone who's not sure about getting one.

I can hardly wait to see the look on the other guys faces at the hunting property this fall when they pull the trigger on a crossbow for the first time and stick an arrow on a spot that's 50 yds away.

BTW...My biggest concern after ordering it was that I may not be strong enough to cock and uncock it. But it's really not that bad...especially with the string cocking tool that comes with the Right Stuff Accessory kit.

Just to be clear, I agreee that this probably DOESN'T allow you to shoot at deer any further away than you could if you were a good shot with a regular compound bow. At 50 yards they'll hear the first "pop" and will probably jump within the 1/2 second it takes for the arrow to get there...possibly resulting in a gut shot. But I've been tuning my compound bow all my life and never achieved anything close to this kind of accuracy.

I can see where it would allow you to shoot deer, turkeys, and other game, out to 30 yards with nearly the same accuracy of a .22 cal rifle. Using the Flemish Fast Flight string and carbon arrows that come with it, the arrow trajectory is very flat. If you zero the scope at 20yds, you can use the primary crosshair for shooting at game and you'll be within an inch or two at any distance out to 30 yards. And with the arrow travelling at 352 FPS the arrow will hit its mark at 30 yards in less than 1/4 second...not enough reaction time for an animal to jump the string.

It's truly remarkable...I can't wait for hunting season. :D :D :D
If I could only have one weapon...it would be an Exomax!
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

Welcome to the forum :D Great opening story to share with us :D
For me hunting is just like Mossy Oak, it's not a passion, it's an Obsession
buckbuster

Post by buckbuster »

EXOMAX for $489??!!
WLStClair

Post by WLStClair »

Yes jh45gun...I was glad that I had added the arrow puller to my order since they were also going in the whole way to the fletching...Except for one that went clean through...And one other one that went far enough through to pull out from the back side.

And yes buckbuster...it's the best deal I was able to find...$749 for the whole setup including the Scope Accessory Package...They were very helpful and the free shipment option arrived in four days...Ordered on Friday and arrived on Tuesday.
A.W

Post by A.W »

Soon be time to buy your second Excal. :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
WLStClair

Update - First deer season with my new Exomax

Post by WLStClair »

After initial set-up and seven-shot site-in of my new Exomax last spring (story above)...I put "Max" in the closet and looked forward to the whitetail archery opener on 9/23.

Opening day it was rainy and windy so I had to wait one more day. But on 9/24 I was in the woods and scored my first deer ever with an arrow...a buck eating acorns...20 yards...heart shot...arrow excited through oposite shoulder...deer only did a couple hops and died at the bottom of my ladder stand.

My next time out wasn't until last week 11/2. Scored my second deer ever with an arrow...another buck...30 yards...hit just above the heart...again the arrow went completely through...never did find this one...and again the deer just took a couple hops and died.

The next day, a doe scented me but was struggling to spot my location...she was standing at a little more angle than "quartering-away" at 45 yards when I pulled the trigger...the arrow entered behind the last rib, went through the heart, and exited through the opposite corner of the chest/shoulder...she ran about 30 yards and died.

Three days...three deer...deadly accurate...no dragging...I'm in love with my new Exomax. If I could only have one whitetail weapon, this would be it. Better than my muzzle-loader since you don't have to worry about the cap or powder getting damp and not firing. And I think it's more accurate. Plus the deer seem to get pretty scarce once the guns start firing...I hunted the first two days of muzzle-loader season and never saw a thing.

I highly recommend this to anyone that wants to have a longer hunting season and isn't really comfortable hunting with a bow.
saxman

Post by saxman »

Welcome and great story.
I have a ExoMax as well and love it.I killed my first deer ever with it last month in Michigan.
I bought mine on E-Bay for $489.00 brand new and then bought the scope package
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

WLStClair . . .I walked the same path as you . . .addictedtoarchery for $749 . . . I did notice the day after I ordered mine, the price went up $30. They delivered it quick.

I just returned from a hunting trip to my family's land in Virginia(going back the 18th for gun season, but, I may just use the Exomax). I now have two cousins looking to buy a Exomax. It is hard to believe the power and accuracy of the Exomax. I hit two deer that went less than 15 yards.

I thought that putting the crossbow together would be harder than it looked on the website DVDs . . .it wasn't. And after putting on the scope, the first shot was within inches of the bullseye. Incredible.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
TNXBow

Post by TNXBow »

I purchased my Exomax last April and had the exact experience sighting in the crossbow in a strong crosswind, it had no effect.

What surprises me is I have had 3 daughters play high school soccer in the Nashville area. Everyone of those referees was virtually blind. Are you sure you can tell the difference between cow and a deer?

The good thing is most them were also deaf....
Martin

Lucky Yanks!

Post by Martin »

My exomax has cost me approx $1700 AUS, so far. Thats approx ($1275 US), and thats just for the xbox, scope, bolts, and a few other bits. I bought mine here in Australia. Next time I am going to buy one (probably another exomax, as I love them) I will consider flying to the US to pick one up, as it will probably not much more expensive. One a personal note, ive been shooting xbows for 10+ years. Ive used many Barnetts and Hortons, and my exomax is without a doubt the best i have ever had the privelage to use and own. God Bless Excalibur.
You only live once!
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

A.W wrote:Soon be time to buy your second Excal. :wink:
A lot of the guys were suffer from this problem :lol: