Commercial Ground Blinds?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Highlander

Commercial Ground Blinds?

Post by Highlander »

Hi guys,

Just got a Vixen. It has quickly become my favourite deer hunting tool; it's accurate, simple, and has plenty of ooomph. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I can not believe the quality and thought that went into that crossbow. No gimmicks in its design, just a good solid piece of gear.

As soon as the rifle season ends here, I'll be putting through the paces.

I'm also beginning to plan next year's archery campaign. Part of this might include the purchase of a ground blind. Is this advantageous to a crossbow hunter? Any thoughts, preferences, experiences or alternative ideas on the matter? Your input would be appreciated.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I use an Ameristep Doghouse when hunting with my Excalibur. Plenty of room to shoot the Phoenix, and the blind works well. Shot a doe a couple weeks ago at the range of about 7 or 8 yards from it.
wabi
A.W

Post by A.W »

I use the same blind as wabi. It's a bit too comfortable though because I get the "nods" once in a while.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Stalker

Post by Stalker »

I picked up an Eastman Outfitters undercover blind (LX5).... the price was right at the time... used it a few times last year and had 4 or 5 does within 10 yards but no doe tag......

I used to hunt around your area (at least close).... have hunted around Moose lake and Haliburton lake....
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

I actually like being in the doghouse :lol: Lot's of room, easy to set-up and take down once you learn how to do it. The end of the year is a good time to purchase one. got mine last year at the end of december.
Lucky Lar

Post by Lucky Lar »

The Ameristep Doghouse seems to be popular from what I read earlier on this forum. I bought one and like it very much. On sale at www.natchezss.com for $49.99.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Yep,
Forgot to mention it but Bob's post reminded me. Be sure to look for a good (quiet) folding chair to take along. I picked up a cheap plastic lawn chair, cut the legs down for the proper height to see well out of the ports, and just leave it in the blind I have permanently set out at the food plot. Don't buy one of those 3 leg folding stools! I bought one and in soft ground you'll soon be setting on the ground as the legs sink swiftly! :shock: Buy something with U shaped legs so you have a good amount of surface area in contact with the ground. Had one of them, too, but the mice ate the seat! :(
wabi
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Thanks guys. Do these models have scent-lok and, if not, is that important?
Stalker

Post by Stalker »

the Eastman is carbon lined but although I like that it makes the interior dark.... playing the wind is more important... I don't go in for scent lok stuff usually... this blind was the only hub style blind they carried.... good blind though....
BigBird-VA

Post by BigBird-VA »

The best and silent ground blind chair I've found is the Roll-A-Chair.
http://www.camptime.net/roll-a-chair.htm Light and sturdy I'm going on year 3 with mine. The legs can be cut off if the chair is too tall for you too.

I prefer the Double Bull blinds. They cost more but they're worth it in my opinion. Best prices are to hit Fleabay in mid-summer. I got a new in box T5 for just over $200. Summer seems almost no one is buying them.
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

Highlander wrote:Thanks guys. Do these models have scent-lok and, if not, is that important?
:lol: Yes they do have total scent containment systems for them....I have one for sale if you are interested......PM me and I can give you all the details.....Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Hey Mike,

Not in the market for one right at this moment. Just doing the research now. And, meaning no offence, I like to buy new anyhow. It always seems to be less heartbreak that way.
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

Highlander wrote:Hey Mike,

Not in the market for one right at this moment. Just doing the research now. And, meaning no offence, I like to buy new anyhow. It always seems to be less heartbreak that way.

:D It's not the blind i'm selling it is the scent containment system and it is BRAND new still in the box.........never been used...........Brampton Mike 8)
Last edited by Brampton Mike on Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Thanks for clearing that up...but still not interested right at this moment. The wife is already gearing up for the expensive season....Christmas. Once the smoke clears, I'll know better.