i think i'm switching??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

speedball

i think i'm switching??

Post by speedball »

i think i'm switching from a wheeled bow to an excal, i miss shooting one since my dad moved away with his vixen, i have a 185 lb tenpoint would a 200 exocet do the trick or would the phoenix be enough?? :?:
gone huntin never to return................
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

The phoenix is more than enough thats all i use!!
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
A.W

Post by A.W »

Either one will do the trick. Just depends how much energy you want to use to cock it. :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
dsr

Post by dsr »

What is the issue with cocking and uncocking your Excaliburs?,I'm 67 years old ,have had 3 heart attacks and 5 way by pass surgery.I usually use a cocking rope to cock my Exocet but don't know how you guys use the rope to uncock the bow.I always uncock the bow by pulling the string by hand then triggering with my thumb.No problems. On Tuesday pm I went out for a hunt and didn't have the cocking aid with me so I had to cock it without the rope.It took 2 tries but I did it. I would have probably done it on the first try but my new boots have a slightly wide toe and I wasn't getting the purchase on the stirrup that satisfied me.
I hope that some people are not being scared away from Excaliburs because of an undeserved reputation for being hard to cock and uncock.
If you are still alive your mission here on Earth must not be completed.

Old rock hounds never die.They just slowly petrify.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

dsr may I suggest for safty alone (HEART) that you use a cocking device and in your case a crankaroo would not hurt anything. Yes I know the exercice is good for one, however to much is not so good!! be carefull please.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
wabi

Post by wabi »

The Phoenix is plenty for deer.
As for the cocking discussion, I much prefer the Phoenix. I normally use the rope cocking aid, but there have been times when I forgot it, or wanted a quick second shot. With my old (175#) Exocet I have been unable to cock it by hand in cold weather. Nothing to do with draw weight, I'm just too short and ran out of reach when wearing heavy clothing! The Phoenix (same draw weight) is easy for me to cock by hand. But I use the rope to keep the string perfectly centered every shot. :wink:
wabi
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I chose an Exomax when I got started this summer because I wanted all the speed I could get within my cocking ability, supposing that I might as well use as much bow as I could readily handle.

I can cock the 'Max with ease, but I wouldn't want any more draw stroke ... I am 6'0" exactly, and it's a long pull up to brace it. Of course, it stacks badly, meaning the most of the draw effort is in the last several inches of the cocking effort. I can see the Exomax being a bit much for the average guy. Though I can cock it without a problem, it does hurt my fingers a bit to do it much ... that's a lot of stress on an ungloved digit!

All that being said, hear this: I ALMOST NEVER COCK IT WITHOUT THE ROPE AID! Why should I? I have nothing to prove. It's a lot easier with the aid, though slower ... and I think it's safer, as it's less likely you'd hurt yourself. Much better on the fingers, which can be hurt by such abuse as pulling the string unprotected at such a heavy weight.

Get whatever Excalibur you want ... just USE THE ROPE AID when cocking. I think that's the "smartness" Bstout was referring to. I concur. No reason to hurt yourself, and no reason to do things just because you can if there's a chance of getting hurt. I used to hunt with a 100 lb. PSE compound in my late twenties, because I could ... but I got to thinking about the coming thirties and forties and beyond ... and I sold it to another young hulk, who I hope learned his lesson before it was too late.

I don't strain much at anything anymore ... I use hoists, winches, levers, wheels and skids ... and at 41, I'm still plenty stout and all my parts are working. I think it pays not to overdo it.

I believe you'll find that any crossbow of 150 lb. draw is plenty for deer. I like more, but remember ... USE THAT AID!
Grizz
dsr

Post by dsr »

I agree with most of the replies. Thanks for the concerm but I don't think that a cockeroo is for me. Went out again this pm and remembered to take along the cocking aid. Much easier job. How do you use the cocking aid to let the bow down.I probably won't use the method but Idon't understand how you do it.

This week has been fantastic weather to be out.Didn't see any venison today but enjoyed watching a black and a red squirrel fighting and chasing over something stashed under the leaves. They were within 8 yd.of me and paid me no attention.Of course I was cammoed and sitting pretty still. Had a mouse run across my boot once in a tree stand and a partridge almost fly into me when I was sitting behind the log he wanted to use for drumming.Even if you don't see deer there is always something interesting going on.
If you are still alive your mission here on Earth must not be completed.

Old rock hounds never die.They just slowly petrify.
wabi

Post by wabi »

dsr wrote: How do you use the cocking aid to let the bow down
I do it by keeping the cocking aid in my pocket and shooting an old arrow into the ground! :wink: :lol:
Never tried letting it down with the rope aid, but I have let it down by hand. The string slipped out of my fingers once. Since then I shoot an arrow into the ground. Figure that's the safest way. It's not a matter of IF something can go wrong with the other methods - it's a matter of WHEN!
wabi
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I always use the cocking aid on my Vixen even though I can cock it by hand because with the cocking aid the string will always be centred. I don't have to worry about lining up a spot, etc. Virtually goof-proof. I also uncock with the aid. There have been days when I've been so cold and tired at the end of a day that I've wished I had someone to pull the trigger for me so that I didn't have to fumble with both handles in one hand.... but so far it's always been fine no matter what. I guess I could carry a spare dud for uncocking, but I just haven't gotten around to that yet. :oops:
NZ Hunter

Post by NZ Hunter »

To uncock with the aid, simply put both hooks on as usual but pull all the rope through to one side so one handle is up against the rail and the other handle in your hand. I take one wrap around my hand as all the rope to one side is slightly long to pull tight if you dont. Take up the pressure keep your foot firmly in the stirrup and release the trigger with the other hand. I sounds dangerous to take a wrap with one hand but it is very easy to do. Im sure I got this off a video somewhere. I was a bit nervous the first time but there is hardly any at all. I have the Phoenix.
If it feels good, DO IT.
BUCKSHOT

Cocking,uncocking

Post by BUCKSHOT »

Why not stick with the Ten Point if you already have it? Sweet shooting quiet bow! Maintain it well and it will serve you well!
I think the Ten Point is more narrow across the limbs than the Exocet and the Phoenix, that can be an advantage when hiking through the bush!
Either way you decide to go, any of those bows are totally adequate for Deer Bear Moose e.t.c!
If you decide to switch up and sell your Ten Point, put it on the trading post and she'll be gone in a flash I would think!

I believe the draw weight is reduced by 50% when using the aid, along with the other advantages that go with it!
The aid works very well for cocking and uncocking and really is only a problem for folks that don't have the reach to cock a bow with a longer stroke length! In that case if you shorten the cocking aid to a comfortable length, hook the string over the groove in your bow then put one pulley on and pull the string up the extra inch or two with your hand to get the other pulley on! This works well if required and is kind of like a pre-tension on your string, it is not difficult to pull the string that first couple of inches to help compensate for your reach while cocking!
That said I think the cocking aid is very smooth and safe, for cocking and un-cocking. I follow the same steps as NZ when I use the aid, except I don't wrap it around my hand first, but to each their own! 8)
Enjoy the Harvest!
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

NZ Hunter wrote:To uncock with the aid, simply put both hooks on as usual but pull all the rope through to one side so one handle is up against the rail and the other handle in your hand. I take one wrap around my hand as all the rope to one side is slightly long to pull tight if you dont. Take up the pressure keep your foot firmly in the stirrup and release the trigger with the other hand. I sounds dangerous to take a wrap with one hand but it is very easy to do. Im sure I got this off a video somewhere. I was a bit nervous the first time but there is hardly any at all. I have the Phoenix.
I did it this way a couple of times till i seen the camo wearing off from were the rope slides across didnt like that i just use the arrow..
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
speedball

Post by speedball »

are the recurves louder at the shot than the compound bows? and will it [exocet], shoot a bolt with same power[speed], than my tenpoint? i know i can shoot a lighter bolt but i want to shoot 2219's or 2216's or carbon of equall weight???also i do like how much lighter the excals are and i've heard of guys having them last 20 years???speed :shock:
gone huntin never to return................
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

NZ Hunter wrote:To uncock with the aid, simply put both hooks on as usual but pull all the rope through to one side so one handle is up against the rail and the other handle in your hand. I take one wrap around my hand as all the rope to one side is slightly long to pull tight if you dont. Take up the pressure keep your foot firmly in the stirrup and release the trigger with the other hand. I sounds dangerous to take a wrap with one hand but it is very easy to do. Im sure I got this off a video somewhere. I was a bit nervous the first time but there is hardly any at all. I have the Phoenix.
Thanks for the tip! I'll try it that way next time!!!