anyone with a Ameristep Doghouse blind or other?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

kev

anyone with a Ameristep Doghouse blind or other?

Post by kev »

I'd bought a cheapo Eastman Carbon pop up, and I'm not happy with it. The fabric is so tight where the door zipper is you can't get it closed. It's actually starting to rip where the zipper is sewn in. I do like the concept though, as this is the first store bought blind I've been in

On Ameristep's website it looks like the Doghouse zipper is in a corner between panel's where there'd be no pressure?

Are Hub style blinds any better? This blind will stay up for 5-6 weeks so I'm not worried about weight or ease to assemble/disassemble it.

Kinda wanted to keep money spent under $120.00 U.S. see'n how I wasted $65.00 on the Eastman :cry: So any blind thats trouble free and won't break the bank would be o.k.

Thank's kev
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

You probably should do a search on old posts, a lot of guys here use the doghouse and pretty much everyone's happy, except for a few that got the pink version :lol:
kev

Post by kev »

did a search, I kinda wanted to know if the entrance was in the corner for sure. I could'nt find anything on the door opening, seems folk's are happy with them though.

I'll give Ameristep a call. I don't want another blind I can't get the door zipped up on.

Thank's kev
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've used a doghouse for a few years now, and the main door zipper finally gave out. My fault for not keeping it well enough lubed, but I just use a window now to get in & out. It has been out now for about 3 years, and other than turning pink it has held up well. I took some flat black, green, and brown spray paint and touched up the camo to more masculine colors, though.
wabi
kev

Post by kev »

thank's wabi. I was on Ameristep's website again. I think I was looking as the Reversable model Doghouse, thats why it had a zipper in the corner, so you can turn it inside out for diff. camo pattern.

wabi. was it hard to get the door zipped closed on the Doghouse? The fabric is so tight on this Eastman around the door I never have been able to zip it closed after it's up.

Maybe all the spring steel types are hard to get zipped up.

Thank's kevin
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

I took some flat black, green, and brown spray paint and touched up the camo to more masculine colors, though.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi

Post by wabi »

kev wrote: was it hard to get the door zipped closed on the Doghouse? The fabric is so tight on this Eastman around the door I never have been able to zip it closed after it's up.
It's tight, but not too hard to zip. My 6-year old son can zip the door & windows.
wabi
kev

Post by kev »

I might be in luck. Got a P.M. on a used Double Bull at a good price. I know these have good reps. and are well built.

wabi. I never thought about going through the window. Thats a good idea :wink: . The window zippers work great, to bad the door does'nt.
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

hi , has anyone used the stackhouse from ameristep , im thinking of getting one i looked at them in the catalog and the web site they look nice , they have th extra window up higher for standing up and shooting , tks
kev

Post by kev »

I made sure it was'nt stretched/staked out to far, actually it's only staked on 2 corners, both on the same side, other side floats. The 3 sides with windows seem to have plenty of slack in the fabric and the windows work great, no pressure at all. You can see there seems to be a difference in how tight the fabric is in the window panel's compared to the Door panel.

I used some Barnett lube wax on all the zipper's, there in little chapstick type tubes. I got a bunch of them on a closeout sale. Actually use'em on my servings also.

I'm going to see if I can get the used Double Bull, I've read some very good reviews on them. I'll give the Eastman to a friend, let him sew the door up and use the big window to get in and out of, like wabi does.
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

xbowking wrote:hi , has anyone used the stackhouse from ameristep , im thinking of getting one i looked at them in the catalog and the web site they look nice , they have th extra window up higher for standing up and shooting , tks
Yup that's what I have and all zippers work really freely... I love it!

DrDan