Is it just where im hunting.....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

huntman

Is it just where im hunting.....

Post by huntman »

Or are the fellow ontario hunters having a hard time seeing bucks?? Like ive mentioned in the past i am hunting an area close to the GTA where deer population is high, but yet all i am seeing is fawns and does. We have killed 2 bucks on the property already however nothing big and nothing since late Oct. Could it be the weather? Or am i just expecting to much? I have found no new scrapes and i am dumb founded that there are No bucks!! I have been patient in not shooting the does cause i was hoping eventually one of their boyfriends would be around, but the MAG is getting alittle rusty!! Anyone else having the same problem?
Rich

Post by Rich »

In VA, all my buddies are saying the opposite, nothing but small to medium bucks. I've seen a lot of does and small bucks (all 4 points and one small 6). Mr Big has eluded me all season.

Rich
Grizzly-Papa

Post by Grizzly-Papa »

Nothing but bucks in our area this year. Very odd! Most of the hunt camps in the area report harvesting mostly bucks of all sizes but very few does.

Grizzly-Papa
Life is too short to spend it indoors!
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Well, I've shot one big buck, one middle-aged but still-small buck, one young buck, one old doe and one young doe this year so far ... so my kill is pretty balanced. Could have killed at least one other buck and five or six other does if I'd wanted them at the time, so that's a four buck to eight doe ratio by my count while hunting.

The old spotlight sweep (legal here) at night shows a multitude of does. Hard to tell about bucks. They're on to spotlights around here, and hang toward the back of fields, or just run away when the light comes.
Grizz
NightTrain

Post by NightTrain »

Grizzly-Papa wrote:Nothing but bucks in our area this year. Very odd! Most of the hunt camps in the area report harvesting mostly bucks of all sizes but very few does.

Grizzly-Papa
Likewise in our area. I've shot two bucks this year and saw a third big lad on the last day of gun.

As for doe's, I haven’t seen many and they're all in the younger range.

A general consensus South of Ottawa
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b15/lukebeaudry/ExcalSig.jpg[/img]
Ben S.

Post by Ben S. »

I'm hunting area 93 and have seen nothing but bucks this year. There is corn up all around where I hunt so I'm thinking thats where the does are hanging out.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

In Virginia we saw way more bucks this year than normal. In three days of hunting we took several bucks. This was odd as we all(my cousins and I) strickly deer hunt. Normally we take more does because we are trying to thin the herd and save our crops. Here are some of the bucks . . .

Here are two nice brothers . . .

Here is one with it's horns broken off . . .big buck, no horns . . .

Here is the biggest one, a eight point I took . . .it was in a group of about twenty does at the time . . .

Here's another nice eight pointer . . .my buddy got this one . . .

We took a spike and a button buck too . . .I didn't take a picture. The guys had them skinned before I got in from the field. Anyway, the bucks were roaming. With the exception of the big eight pointer in the mist of all the does, we saw more bucks this year. Makes for some good pictures, but doesn't thin the herd very well. I haven't talked with the guys since I left to see if that trend continued. They had another week of hunting.

I would change spots . . . good luck!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
rutman

Post by rutman »

You have alot in common with me and here is my guess to the solution. There is minimal buck competition because there are so many doe and fawn females to look after. If you and others around there get rid of some of the girls the fellas are going to be out more in daylight hours protecting turf and looking for satisfaction.
I'm switching to big mature does for a while until I start seeing the bigguns!
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
A.W

Post by A.W »

I hunt north of Bowmanville and I think it may have something to do with the coyotes. I have never seen so many coyote tracks and some of them are huge.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

I hunt the Ponty Pool and Tyron area,, Have not seen as many deer as in the past few years,, Lots of sign, just no deer.... and I have seen more coyote tracks this year as well...
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Doe more here then bucks, Had 15 doe's on the trail cams and only four bucks ranging from one spike, 4pt, stright up 6pt, and the 8pt that I took out. Always see more doe's to bucks anytime around here. Also bucks tend to move at night where the doe's move or seem to move anytime.

I have got one Buck and one doe todate, but look forward to a couple more larger doe's. :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
huntman

Post by huntman »

i guess talking to guys helped cause i just got back from an evening hunt and i can say that i saw an absolute monster buck just at final light!!!!!! I think i left my heart on my tree stand but thats okay cause im hoping to get out in the morning.... maybe just maybe he'll show his face again!! The part that pissed me off the most is that he came out under my other stand accross the field, but i guess thats always the way! When i got to the spot i noticed the carrots i put out yesturday where hit alot harder infront of the stand i decided to sit in! I guess the deer knew the stock was getting alittle low there so they switched to the other bait pill infront of the second stand!!! Just dumped 500 lbs so that will keep them around!
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

that sucks when it happens, but the bigger ones always wait right until it get dark to start moving, but i'm sure you'll get a chance at Mr. big
peter p

Post by peter p »

Hey huntman,
where do you get your carrots from?
huntman

Post by huntman »

check your pm peter