52%
Evening
32%
All day
16%

Total votes: 56

maple

Post by maple »

When I was younger, I used to love to get up at un-Godly early hours in the morning with little or no sleep. Then drive for however-long-it-took to get to a hunting spot and be there way before first light. Hunt all day and evening then drive home in time to play hockey at night.

I don't do those silly things any more, unless it is early in the season and I crave fresh meat.

These days I know the deer are around and I more often hunt only the afternoons and evenings. Especially at this time of year when it's darn cold at sun-up.
korey99

Post by korey99 »

Morning, although I generally see more deer in the evening...I prefer tracking/gutting/dragging in the daylight. I feel less pressure if I know I have 6 more hours of daylight as opposed to only 1/2 hour!

korey99
Makomachine

Post by Makomachine »

I hunt morning, evening, and occassionally all day if things are "hot". I really prefer morning though - as others have said, tracking, gutting, etc. are always better when you can see. I also seem to have more situations where I'm having to make a judgement on whether I take an animal in the evening when it is harder to see them. I'm not a trophy hunter but like to let the young bucks walk once I get some meat in the freezer - harder to see them buttons, spikes, and 4 pts when the sun is setting.
Excalibur Phoenix
Vari-Zone Scope
Steddy Eddy
Gold Tip LII / Blazer vanes / Tracer Nock / Slick Trick BH
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I have come to find that people get the most deer during the hours they like to hunt . . .I wonder which came first? Do they like the hours because that's when they kill the most deer or do they get the most deer because they hunt those hours?? Ha!

I personally have found that deer can be taken at all hours and love to hunt all day. However, if I had to pick a 2 hour spand, I would pick from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., especially on a clear cold morning with a heavy frost. I would hunt the warm sunnyside of a field/hill.

I have my favorite times/spots based on the weather conditions.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

The best part of the Hunt is when I'm 20ft. up the tree in my Summit Climber waiting for the Sun to rise. There's something special about overlooking the woods waiting for it to wake up that really puts a smile on my face.
kev

Post by kev »

I work afternoon shift so most of my hunting is mornings. This year I've had the chance to hunt all day, if I'd wanted. Most sightings were in the morning.

That could have a little to do with the areaa I hunt though.
Michael Stogre

Post by Michael Stogre »

I prefer the afternoons because psychologically you go from low percentage time to high percentage time. It's the opposite in the
morning. That being said "you know not the day nor the hour"
So be expectant, be vigilant.
I would like to live like a river flows
Surprised by its own unfolding.
(John O'Donohue)
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I like mornings. No traffic on the roads. Super quiet, most times, on the way into the stand. The solitude. The challenge of trying to get to the stand without making any noise, while not being able to see much.

In the morning the day is just beginning, you have all day ahead of you. Afternoons, time is against you. But damn, I'll hunt whenever I can!!! If I'm not out there the chances of being successful are nil.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
exocet

Post by exocet »

I do love hunting all day, but my all time favorite is the last hour of daylight. Something very magical about that time :D Jack.
saxman

Post by saxman »

Evening for me,but I'll take it anytime I can.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Farmer

Post by Farmer »