Looks like a new record buck for Maryland, USA

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rigbymi

Looks like a new record buck for Maryland, USA

Post by rigbymi »

Last year, Bill Crutchfield Sr. made a run at the big bucks in Maryland's "Diamond Jim" $1 million fishing tournament.

This year, his son got a different kind of big buck - a deer with antlers massive enough to put most chandeliers to shame and obliterate a state record almost two decades old.

"He does the fishing, and I do the hunting," said Bill Crutchfield Jr., as he waited yesterday afternoon for state certification.

With a crowd of camera-phone-toting hunters and Department of Natural Resources officials watching, Crutchfield hauled the carcass from the refrigerator at Hitchcock Taxidermy in Severn for the tale of the tape.

The buck had 13 points on each 25-inch antler. The entire rack spanned slightly more than 21 inches tip to tip. After measuring all the antler tines and space between the prongs, Crutchfield's total score was 268 4/8 inches, breaking the mark set in 1987 of 228 4/8 inches (antlers are measured in 1/8th-inch increments).

"That's stunning. That's a beast," said Paul Peditto, the head of DNR's Wildlife and Heritage Service.

For Crutchfield, Monday afternoon's hunt in southern Charles County was a waiting game that began just minutes after he settled into his tree stand and heard a sound behind him in a marsh.

"I turned around and seen him lay down about 100 yards away," recalled Crutchfield, 39, a Charles County native and a firefighter at the Indian Head Naval Surface Weapons Center. "I seen him shake his head and could see just a bit of his rack. I seen him last year and I knew he was big."

To calm his nerves, he called a hunting buddy, who reminded Crutchfield that he had plenty of daylight left and to take deep breaths.

About an hour passed as the hunter calculated the distance and thought about the shot. Suddenly, about 40 yards behind the big buck, an eight-point buck walked out.

Minutes later, "my deer stood up and it was over like that," said Crutchfield, who after looking at the buck called his friend again to alert him that the state record was in jeopardy.

To gain a spot in the national record books, Crutchfield will have to let the antlers air-dry for 60 days and then submit them for additional measurements to an official of the Boone and Crockett Club, the official record-keeping organization for North American big game.

Because some bucks develop racks that do not have an equal number of tines on each side, the club divides entries into "typical," or symmetrical, and "non-typical."

While the unsymmetrical antlers on Crutchfield's buck will never be mistaken for the world record of 333 7/8 inches, they easily made the 185-inch minimum to be included in the next edition of the Boone and Crockett award book.

Word of Crutchfield's accomplishment attracted a previous record holder, Walt Lachewitz of Gambrills, to Hitchcock's shop, to swap stories and snap pictures.

"Sad? No," said Lachewitz, who in 1998 bagged a white-tailed deer on the Eastern Shore that scored 185 7/8 inches. "I'm happy when someone gets a big one because it doesn't happen often. You could hunt for 10 lifetimes and not see a buck like that."
Riggs
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: .
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
A.W

Post by A.W »

Wow!!! That deer must be happy it doesn't have to carry that around any more.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Makomachine

Post by Makomachine »

That's not a deer - I've seen deer and that isn't a deer. Someone needs to call Tokyo and tell them it's safe to go outside, Godzilla is dead...
Excalibur Phoenix
Vari-Zone Scope
Steddy Eddy
Gold Tip LII / Blazer vanes / Tracer Nock / Slick Trick BH
wabi

Post by wabi »

WOW!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
wabi
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Have mercy, Miss Percy!

That's not a deer with a big rack ... that's a big rack with a deer!

Somehow, "Nice buck" just doesn't say it!
Grizz
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
TYE

Post by TYE »

Makomachine wrote:That's not a deer - I've seen deer and that isn't a deer. Someone needs to call Tokyo and tell them it's safe to go outside, Godzilla is dead...
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Now the AMAZING thing about this buck is that he only weighed 150 pounds field dressed.

Another picture of him..

Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Makomachine

Post by Makomachine »

Woody Williams wrote:Now the AMAZING thing about this buck is that he only weighed 150 pounds field dressed.

Another picture of him..

Woody - That is amazing - given what the rack has to weigh! Looks like he has been run hard and put away wet. Them does were getting in the way of eating is my guess. My uncle killed a very large deer for my part of the country about 6 years ago and we had seen him earlier in the year. I bet he dropped 40 pounds in 2 months from the time we saw him and when he was taken. One track mind...
Excalibur Phoenix
Vari-Zone Scope
Steddy Eddy
Gold Tip LII / Blazer vanes / Tracer Nock / Slick Trick BH
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Somebody is feeding them more than just corn . . . .
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
rwk

Post by rwk »

Holy ship
saxman

Post by saxman »

WOW!!!!!!!!!
Enough Said.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
widowman

Post by widowman »

This buck showed up on my bosses property back in January of 2006.

This is the trail camera photo. Kinda of hard to say for sure, but it looks like the buck may have been bigger last year.

Enjoy...