REASONABLE CROSSBOW HUNTING RANGE: A REASONED STATEMENT

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Grizzly Adam

REASONABLE CROSSBOW HUNTING RANGE: A REASONED STATEMENT

Post by Grizzly Adam »

After seeing a thread topic on another post devolve into a rather spirited discussion of crossbow hunting ranges, I thought it would be both interesting and worthwhile to join the fray with a statement that allowed everyone to agree or disagree with me.

So here goes my two cents worth. After reading, you may proceed to support me or to cut me to shreds ... your choice:

It seems to me that the vast majority of hunters who have much experience hunting deer with archery equipment readily agree that our pursuit is a short-range proposition best practiced within 40 yards. The reliability of this fundamental observation is generally conceded by a broad cross-section of whitetail hunters from across the United States and Canada. It is known and agreed upon by mass observation and is supported by video evidence. This general conclusion about archery hunting long ago ascended beyond reasonable debate; the collective and enduring experience of deer hunters everywhere proves this basic truth upon which we can rely.

There will always be those who challenge the status quo opinion and strive to prove otherwise. This is a fact of contrary human nature, and is particularly inevitable in a situation (like deer hunting) involving human beings and some living creature, because both man and beast are individuals not subject to absolute behaviors; when you throw in the performance of variable equipment and differing field conditions, you have all factors needed for argument ad nauseum. Nonetheless, and all isolated individual experiences notwithstanding, the general rule of bowhunting whitetails stands firm as Gibraltar: It is a short-range proposition best practiced within 40 yards.

Can deer be killed at 60 yards with archery equipment, including Excals? Absolutely. Can they be killed more often than not at 60 yards? Probably. Does that mean it is wise to try? No.

Why? Because the general rule stands!

Until the formidable (and invisible) performance hurdle that now stands between the hunter and quarry is overcome by some great advancement in our equipment's efficiency, most sportsmen will continue to keep shots within 40 yards, for good and verifiable reasons, backed by decades of collective experience and observation.

Will that fact change anyone's mind who likes to fling bolts at 50, or 60 or at whatever extremes? Of course not. Will my having said any of this change our tendency to endlessly debate the obvious? Of course not. But somehow, I feel better for the effort.

Could I kill a deer at 60 yards with my 'Max? I have no doubt that I often could. Will I kill a deer at 60 yards with my 'Max? I have no doubt that I will likely never try, and you know why.

The fact that I can doesn't mean that I should or that I will.

Knowing the difference is our great individual challenge.
Grizz
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Well stated GRIZZ :!:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Cedrus

Post by Cedrus »

From the cheap seats...I agree completely Griz.

My tools: Tenpoint Woodsman Plus (165 lbs), 2219s and 100 gr. Slicktricks.

My personal observation on a shot over 40 yards: I took a decent buck a couple years ago that was relaxed and feeding at approx 50 yards in a meadow. Slightly quartering away, I sent the bolt on its way to the vitals. That dang deer spun about 100 deg towards my position huddled in the bushes and ducked down a bit. The bolt struck the buck just under the spine about a foot forward of the hindquarters, severing the aorta.
The deer quickly expired after running about 80 yards, but I'll never take a long shot like that again.
Let there be no doubt that deer can and will "jump the string" at these extreme distances.
Makomachine

Post by Makomachine »

Agree 100%. Personal range preference is 30 yards or less. The "or less" part is what makes it fun for me - getting 'em close while on the ground gets the heart pumping! I won't take a shot at beyond 40 yards and would be verifying range with my Nikon 440 on anything beyond 25, since that is where my range guesstimation goes south.
Excalibur Phoenix
Vari-Zone Scope
Steddy Eddy
Gold Tip LII / Blazer vanes / Tracer Nock / Slick Trick BH
wabi

Post by wabi »

Agree!
I once watched a buck through the scope on my old Vixen (shooting heavy arrows at about 260 FPS) drop about 4 - 6 inches at 32 yards when I shot. Luckily I used the wrong aiming point (used 40 yard mark) and shot high anyway. I could see the arrow as it passed right over the top of his back. With the Exocet at about 300 fps I watched a doe at 31 yards and she never moved until the arrow went under her. :oops: wrong aiming point again! :shock: (used 20 yard crosshair)
I figure with 300 fps arrow velocity 30 yards is a safe shot, and possibly 35 yards at a calm deer. With the max you could stretch it to 40.
BTW - guess why I switched from the vari-zone to a 3 crosshair pro-view :wink: :lol: :lol:
wabi
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

We're hunting, not just killing. The sport of hunting requires the skill of getting close to game. I'm not interested in "how far", I'm interested in "how close". I will shoot 40+ at the range, but my set bowhunting limit is 30 yds.
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

I agree. 35 yards is my max. :wink:
huntman

Post by huntman »

Ive been bow hunting or xbow hunting for the past 5 years. When i first started and probably for about the first two years i would of and did shoot past 50 yards!!! :oops: :oops: Infact i believe there was a thread about this a few years back and i was all for the long shots, anyways now that i have hunted a few years with the xbow i must say i agree with what Grizz has said 200% I would never shot over 40 yards i feel that its much more exciting to get them in as close as possible. I guess i learned a few things from the vets on this site!! :D
Normous

Post by Normous »

With 30 years of flingn arrows under my belt I would still never attempt a 50 -60 yard shot with the MAX at a deer. Too many variables at that distance for me. I do shoot well at targets out to 50 or so, but deer, give me one at 35 yards and under, maybe 40 thats it.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

35 yds is my limit too, but I'm hunting deer, not farming. I've seen the damage deer can do to a farmers crops, and toward the end of that other thread, the gentleman told us how his family felt about deer, IOW, expendable nuisances, kinda like rats in a corn crib, at least for him and his family and their income. I personally feel this is a mix-up between hunting ethics and farming realities. These farming folk go through years of no rain, too much rain, ect and there is little they can do about it. To see deer eating the heck outta crops, well you can kinda understand how they feel, that's something they can deal w/ in one fashion or another.
"Eze 18:21"
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

huntman wrote:Ive been bow hunting or xbow hunting for the past 5 years. When i first started and probably for about the first two years i would of and did shoot past 50 yards!!! :oops: :oops: Infact i believe there was a thread about this a few years back and i was all for the long shots, anyways now that i have hunted a few years with the xbow i must say i agree with what Grizz has said 200% I would never shot over 40 yards i feel that its much more exciting to get them in as close as possible. I guess i learned a few things from the vets on this site!! :D
Me ive been hunting 7 but ditto to what huntman said.
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hey, Awshucks ...

Sure folks can and should protect their livelihood. I grew up in a nursery family. Know all about deer damage, and to field stock considerably more valuable than row crops ... non-subsidized plantings, I might add.

Most every jurisdiction provides permits to thin out deer that are damaging property.

I have no problem with killing deer by any means available in control efforts.

The context of my remarks is entirely hunting related.
Grizz
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

60 yards? Why not just use a rifle if you want to take long shots like that?

I bowhunt for the extended season but also for the close ranges. That's part of the allure. The challenge.

If there is a need for one to reduce the deer numbers on their property to protect their crops why not use a rifle, shoot it in the head, at whatever range it happens to present itself.

If you are hunting give the animal the respect it deserves and wait for it to get closer.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

some wise words indeed......
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Grizzly Adam wrote:Hey, Awshucks ...

Sure folks can and should protect their livelihood. I grew up in a nursery family. Know all about deer damage, and to field stock considerably more valuable than row crops ... non-subsidized plantings, I might add.

Most every jurisdiction provides permits to thin out deer that are damaging property.

I have no problem with killing deer by any means available in control efforts.

The context of my remarks is entirely hunting related.
Grizz, I thought that was what you meant, but when you referenced the other thread where this really got rolling, I just was trying to point out for some they can become more of a nuisance than the noble game animal that we all hunt and hopefully respect. Your thread has all the more meaning now that there is a new xbow coming on the market that claims 60 yd effective range, and has a 3 dot red dot set for 20 40 and 60 yds. I'm on the same track as you are, hopefully.
"Eze 18:21"