Tracer or Lumenok

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tar Heel

Tracer or Lumenok

Post by Tar Heel »

I bought some lumenoks and tried them they were hard to turn off
and sometimes they lit when in flight and the jar when hitting cut them off.
They were problable too loose, anyway i don't think they are 100 per cent reliable.
I like the idea of the magnet turning the tracers on and off, has anyone tried them, are they reliable and where do you put the magnet on a crossbow.

Thanks a million
Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
poordave

lit nocks

Post by poordave »

Hi. I've been using the lumenoks for a while in Thunderbolt carbons.
When they are shot alot they start to make indentations in the the arrow from the little wire clips. I pull it out & turn it 90 degrees & start over. Once I run out of room I'll take it to the archery shop & they can cut off a sliver & start over.
Tracers:
I just got them in the mail 2 days ago. I think they will be better because of the magnets on & off style. They fit perfect in a 2219 alum arrow, in the carbon the bottom O ring is to big, the owner is sending me some smaller O rings. The top O ring seems ok.
My brother installed his magnet on the end of the barrell channel in the little pocket. (Parker) He said that the adhesive seemed to hold well. My order was short a magnet I called Friday & just checked the mail box & their here. Fast service. I'm using a Titan so I'll try the same spot. I also went to Radio Shack & bought a pack of flat magnets 3/4x1" & 3/8 thick with the center drilled out. I will put 1 on the under side of the arrow retention spring with a small nut & bolt if the adhesive doesn't hold well with the original magnet. The magnet with the Tracers is small but very powerful. I will test their flight pattern in the carbon & alum arrows tomorrow. Dave
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

Thanks for the reply Poordave, keep us posted on how they do.

Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
Makomachine

Post by Makomachine »

I use the tracers and love them. Very reliable and have already saved me a few arrows. I didn't use any adhesive at all on them - just put the magnet at the center of the flight groove over the bolt in the center on my Phoenix - it holds just fine with the magnet. They will light without a magnet but weren't as consistent with maybe 1 out of 10 that wouldn't light up on their own - with the magnet they are perfect.
Excalibur Phoenix
Vari-Zone Scope
Steddy Eddy
Gold Tip LII / Blazer vanes / Tracer Nock / Slick Trick BH
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

I've used Lumenoks on my vertical bow arrows, and I'm not wild about the methodology they used to make them turn on and (especially) off.

I bought some Tracers to try on my crossbow, and I'm much more impressed with those. I've never had one NOT light when it was fired past the magnet, but I've had trouble occasionally getting them to turn off when I wave them over the magnet. That's really not that big a deal - you just need to unscrew it and GENTLY unscrew the battery out and then GENTLY thread it back in place.

I bought the GoldTip-sized Tracers for my Excalibur arrows, and they fit perfectly. The only difficulty I had was that I could only easily get the old nock out of 3 of my 6 arrows. Luckily, three of them worked and I didn't need to go to the "melt the glue" step.
Makomachine

Post by Makomachine »

Corvus wrote:I've used Lumenoks on my vertical bow arrows, and I'm not wild about the methodology they used to make them turn on and (especially) off.

I bought some Tracers to try on my crossbow, and I'm much more impressed with those. I've never had one NOT light when it was fired past the magnet, but I've had trouble occasionally getting them to turn off when I wave them over the magnet. That's really not that big a deal - you just need to unscrew it and GENTLY unscrew the battery out and then GENTLY thread it back in place.

I bought the GoldTip-sized Tracers for my Excalibur arrows, and they fit perfectly. The only difficulty I had was that I could only easily get the old nock out of 3 of my 6 arrows. Luckily, three of them worked and I didn't need to go to the "melt the glue" step.
Corvus - Did you have any problem with the o-rings not wanting to go down in the shafts? That is the only problem I have and have a devil of a time getting the o-ring closest to the nock end from pinching off at the end. Once they are in they are golden though.
Excalibur Phoenix
Vari-Zone Scope
Steddy Eddy
Gold Tip LII / Blazer vanes / Tracer Nock / Slick Trick BH
poordave

follow up

Post by poordave »

I shot the bow around 25 times today with the Tracers, they lit every time. If you use the velcro adhesive pads you just have to press it tight occassionaly because the force of the bow going off starts the velcro seperating a little the adhesive though is fine. The tracer goes into the 2219 ok & makes a tight fit, on the thunderbolt I had to remove the fat O ring on the bottom. I did pinch off the top O ring though. I think that these are superior to the Lumenox but time will tell. Dave
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

Come to think of it, Mako, I did have one O ring that got pinched and was hanging out the top when I was trying to get the Tracer nock in. I pulled the whole thing back out and then slid the ring a little further down and then I was able to get it in with no problem. I'm not sure if I defeated the purpose of the ring by doing that or not.

The other two nocks went in without that issue.