Rethinking our range. Is it B.S.?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Highlander . . .I think hunting conditions would greatly impact range, at least it does for me. Also, range greatly impacts my hunting conditions. If I'm going bow hunting, then I just don't like going to a open field. Maybe I just don't like to be tempted, seeing a huge deer a few yards out of my range just puts me in a bad mood! I like a wooded, bushy, close quarters type of hunting/stalking. If I have my .270 . . .small wooded/bushy areas that open up into open escape routes is what I like. If there's a deer in the woody/bushy area and I can spook it out, then they normally give me a shot before they get to the end of their escape route. They like to look back and see what spooked them. I guess that's where the saying "don't look back" came from . . .

Grizz . . .remember, what's good/bad or helpful/harmful for you, may be just the opposite for another member. I hope that no one takes things personal on the forum, because it is the most inpersonal arena in which we can put ourselves. I have a wierd sense of humor sometimes, but I mean well and sometimes it takes a little jolt to get us thinking outside the box.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Good points all...I was taught that you should always end your practice on a high note. It reinforces the positive mindset required to shoot confidently and therefore improve. Conversely, you shouldn't dwell on bad shots.

Having said that, I also think that when we shoot at something as big and valuable as a deer, we owe it far more consideration. I beleive that you shouldn't just hope for a clean kill, you should also do everything to maximize that eventuality. This always means getting as close as it allows and sometimes simply passing up the shot. My biggest fear is having a wounded deer with my arrow in it be seen regularly by my neighbours. Our sport doesn't need this sort of thing.

I don't know about you but they still get my heart pumping and I've killed a fair number. We all know that shooting at them is different than shooting at a paper target. Practice reinforces the routine but shooting at a deer never seems to be routine, for me at least.

Wounding an animal does suck, especially when you know things could have been different if you had showed patience. Still, I like to know what my crossbow is capable of...
knobby

Post by knobby »

one also needs to take into consideration the energy an arrow possesses at long ranges

I would be interested to see someone fire their xbow thru a chrono at 50-60 yards just to see how fast its still goin
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

I agree with different strokes for different folks. For some 30 yards would be stretching it, while for others 40 yards isn't a problem. The bottom line is that one must know one's own limitations.

Before the modern archery equipment of today, bowhunting ranges were quite short. Not everyone can shoot like Byron Ferguson. :wink:

However, now with faster and better bows, in my opinion, I don't think that under the right conditons that a 40 yard shot is beyond the acceptable limit.

Personally I've shot deer at 40 yards, but also refrained from shooting at a deer as close as 15 yards.

I've also shot at and got three grouse at 15, 22, and 32 yards respectively, but I've completely missed a turkey at only 17yards.

It comes down to practice and confidence, BUT most important knowing when and when not to take the shot.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
kev

Post by kev »

I think if your using the bigger bows like the Mag,Max it would extend a skilled shooters range. I figure K.E. for a Max at 30yds. equals my Vixen at point blank.

Where I mostly hunt is kind of thick around bedding areas and I've been using a older Vixen and 175 Exocet this year. I also like to get pass throughs so I set up close and shoot close and some times they bust me. 15 yds. would be a very long shot in this cover.

I think it comes down to a personel thing on a shot. I'd sure feel better with a big bow though.
grandtrout

Post by grandtrout »

Speed at long range is somewhat dependant on fetch type however is you use excaliber's data from there site, the 225 fps example with a 400 gr arrow would still provide plenty of kinetic energy (37 foot pounds) to shoot clean through any whitetail. The rule of thumb for whitetails has traditionally been 30 foot pound minimum. KE is the last concidereration with an excal - tones of power to spare. Conventional wisdom would dictate 50 foot pounds as plenty of power on a moose - with a phoenix you start to close to this figure at around 75 yards! Let's not forget these bows are all tremendiously powerful reletive to most archery gear.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Though I am enjoying this post, I think for the most part, it is a bit of a frivolous discussion. Most of us will end up killing most of our deer inside thirty yards, if we set up correctly. But, as I said earlier, I do like to hear about other experiences and what these excellent crossbows are capable of.