How do you practice?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Highlander

Post by Highlander »

All these posts are excellent. Thanks guys. For those that use the factory peep sight, how far can you get out there before the target is covered by the bottom post or pin?
Big John

practice

Post by Big John »

I always practice from the ground in off-season, then from the tree stands during "set-up" sessions and lane clearing times. Thay way I know my aim points at the markers are right on. I have four markers (shot lanes) set up at each stand.
During the off season I shoot from fifteen to 40 yds. targets.
I won't shoot past 40 yd. so I don't practice past that.
The stand shots are marked only to thirty yd. I might be able to get 35 yd. but that is it, without hitting some obstructions.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Diesel, the home made feed bag target sounds great. I live on a farm and have access to lots of those. Do they last long?
Cedrus

Post by Cedrus »

Shoot at 20, 30, 40 and 50 yards on a Blue Ridge 3-d deer. Tape 1.5" dia orange "Birchwood Casey Target Spots" several inches apart on the vitals section. Learned a long time ago not to shot at the same spot. Tends to make a mess of my bolts. :oops: :wink:
Belt&Suspenders

Post by Belt&Suspenders »

I practice from 20, 30, 40 and 50 yards. I like to practice from an elevated position as I do almost all of my hunting out of trees in south Alabama, typically about 12-15 feet high. I use the Exomax with Varizone scope. At 50 yards last week, I put 4 of 5 arrows in one black dot on the "Block" target. Although I've shot deer at less than 10 yards before (straight under me actually!) I usually start practicing at 20 yards as most of my deer are sighted in the 20-30 range I'd say if I place my stand well. Hope this helps.
Matthias72

Post by Matthias72 »

My training is normally between 77 and 110 yards distance, with field points, in sniper position, I support my crossbow with my hunting rucksack.
Some days before hunting, I shoot with my hunting crossbow set with a range between 33-77 yards distance, at 77 yards distance using bradheads. My group at 77 yards with broadheads normally is 3-4".

You can see some pics of my training field here:
http://www.cacciaebalestra.altervista.o ... campo.html

Regards
Matthias
Hunting&Crossbow- www.cacciaebalestra.altervista.org -The first Italian crossbowyers site

Exomax&Exocet200
Meopta Artemis 2000 3-12x50
Wolfszeit adjustable scope mount
Absorber V-BAR
Ultra-sensitive trigger
2219xx78-620grs-21% FOC
Nap Nitron
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Impressive shooting, Matthias. What arrow and broadhead set up do you use?
TYE

Post by TYE »

Whoa, talk about long shots... I didn't think a crossbow was even lethal at those distances. Or do you just target shoot at that distance?
mike41

How do you pratice?

Post by mike41 »

Matthias72,
enjoyed your pictures, and as Tye said that is some Real long Range shooting.

mike41:
TYE

Post by TYE »

Well I was outside shooting a bit. From 40 and 50 yards. Took a few shots at the bottom dot from 20 and 30 yards just to be sure they were still on.

I tore the snot out of the crown in the middle of my friends crossbow king target. :lol:

I borrowed my friends Crossbow King target to resight my scope in with the 125 gr heads I bought.

Most of those in the middle of nowhere are from the Gold Tips I was trying to get to sight in, but they refused to fly consistant, so I gave up on them.

gad

Re: How do you practice?

Post by gad »

Highlander wrote:I assume everyone here shoots regularly to keep sharp during the hunting season. I'd be interested to hear of the ways all of you practice. Please include ranges, shooting positions, targets, etc... I love shooting my Vixen for its own sake but so far have kept my shooting to 30 yards and under from a standing offhand or kneeling position -- my comfort zone in the field. Come spring I'm going to set up a sixty yard range behind the house and expand that if I can. Suggestions, tips, pointers? What makes a good home made target?
I have found a good way, together with my buddy, to make a fun target shooting: we go in a boat, electric minkotta motor, in a lake on my rural property, and we put the target on border of the lake. Then we shoot at the target with boat speeding. Its really fun. 8)
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

I guess that would keep you sharp, huh Gad?
gad

Post by gad »

Highlander wrote:I guess that would keep you sharp, huh Gad?
Not so sharp, but I can guarantee, it´s really fun. :lol:
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

It does sound fun. I also shoot a longbow and my buddy shoots a recurve. A couple of year back we started skeet shooting frisbees with flu flu arrows. We didn't hit too many but when we did it was a blast. What was surprising was that we missed quite a few by mere inches. I think if we has the patience to really go at it, over time we might have become respectable wingshots.
Matthias72

Post by Matthias72 »

Tye, Highlander,
my maximum hunting shooting distance is 77 yards (70 meters), but only in PERFECT atmosferic/hunting conditions.
My training, is normally only at 110 yards distance and my normal group dimensions using special precision arrows, is 5" or less.

My set up is Exomax (the best for very long distance, because arrow has high speed and kinetic energy, so wind, rain or slope afects less the arrow flight. You think: at 110 yards distance these arrows have 68 FTP of kinetic energy!
All the details of my special ultra precise arrows are on my review on our italian crossbow site on the menu: The tests> THE BEST TESTED EQUIPMENTS.

Enjoy your reading!!!
Matthias
Hunting&Crossbow- www.cacciaebalestra.altervista.org -The first Italian crossbowyers site

Exomax&Exocet200
Meopta Artemis 2000 3-12x50
Wolfszeit adjustable scope mount
Absorber V-BAR
Ultra-sensitive trigger
2219xx78-620grs-21% FOC
Nap Nitron