Cold Weather and crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Highlander

Cold Weather and crossbows

Post by Highlander »

Here's a question. How does cold weather as well as prolongued exposure to snow,sleet, ice or rain affect the performance of our crossbows? This will be my first winter with my Vixen.
A.W

Post by A.W »

I've been out in really cold weather in Southern Ontario. Periodically I wipe the snow off. Just make sure you don't get ice buildup in the rail slot.

If it's snowing take along a little bit of plastic to cover it.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
wabi

Post by wabi »

The Excalibur stand up to the cold much better than I do! :lol:
In other words - if I can stand to be out hunting the Phoenix is up to the task, too.
wabi
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

All this is good to know. Another thread has got me thinking of stalking the cedar swamps around here for snowshoe hares this winter, but up here it does get real cold and it snows hard at times. The tip about keeping the rail slot clear of ice is something I probably wouldn't have thought of immediately. Bstout, you are one of those customers that lesser companies fear. After I read about your tests, I went over and hugged my crossbow.... You scared her.
Wags

Post by Wags »

This was a great topic and glad it came up. Last week I was in my stand and it started raining (lightly) and I wondered how my Phoenix was going to perform in case needed. Now I'm not even worried about snow flakes! Thanks guys.

Wags
spitfire125

Post by spitfire125 »

I shoot 3D competion with my bow,and when it rains steadily for awhile your string will soak up all the water and slows the speed of the bow down. Everybody I shoot with has the same problem.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Spitfire, when you say bow do you mean crossbow? If so, do you have to adjust aim for the loss of trajectory or is it minimal?
Big John

cold weather

Post by Big John »

I have sat out for hours on end in driving rain, pelting Ice rain, hard snow, and -30* deg. Cel. If I didn't take a shot on Game before I left the stand, then I fired it ( practice point) at the ground at a spot that I know is thirty yards. Always, the Bow did exactly what it is supposed to do.
Only thing I ever do to help, is keep my Arm over the scope during driving rain, so I can see through it properly when I have to.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

All these comments are reassuring.
XbowMisiu

Post by XbowMisiu »

Sat in the rain and really heavy snow/ice... NO PROBLEM (Exocet200). :lol:
If it is not raining/snowing I always unload my bow by hand (remove bolt and release string by hand). If it is raining and the bow is wet I shoot a field point in to the ground to remove water from string before going home.
When I get home I dry the bow off and spray some lubricant in to the trigger (G96 lubricant, the same stuff I use on my guns).
Darz Bór!
Grizzly-Papa

Post by Grizzly-Papa »

Do not want to rain on anyones parade but here is a posting from a little while ago.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... highlight=

Grizzly-Papa
Life is too short to spend it indoors!
A.W

Post by A.W »

Nothing's infallible. Throw a piece of plastic on it when sitting in the open in the snow.

A.W

Post by A.W »

A.W wrote:Nothing's infallible. Throw a piece of plastic on it when sitting in the open in the snow.
Or a rag. :wink:

hawg hunter

bad weather shooting

Post by hawg hunter »

Ive been taught to never use WD40 on any trigger. This product will leave a build up like varnish on sear sufaces and they will not engage. They also become stiff in extreme cold . This is what I have been taught about the above mentioned product.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

They actually recommend WD40 by name in the Excaliburt DVD...or booklet, can't remember which.