Off the ground

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

raydaughety

Off the ground

Post by raydaughety »

I went with my uncle on a quick hunt yesterday afternoon and got the surprise of my life ! My uncle had built a 12' box stand on a power line right of way that runs through our hunting lease. When he told me to climb it, I said your crazy, I can barely walk without my walker and can't go long distances without a wheelchair. He went off on me :shock: Telling me that It was killing him to watch my disability and depression get the best of me. All the while he was helping me put my safety harness on. I'll be honest, I was scared to death but as he hooked the carabiner to the rung above my head and told me to take a step, then reset the carabiner, and before I knew it, we were sitting in the blind waiting for one to step out. We didn't see anything but we did talk about how I was going to start changing my disabilities into abilities, to turn my depression into constuctive thinking and frankly, stop feeling sorry for myself. Guys, I want to thank all of you for helping me, from advising me on which crossbow to buy, to helping me get the accudraw installed on my bow and every thing in between. You guys are the best.

I care enough about each and every one of you to remind you to please be carefull in everything that you do because I promise you that you don't want to be where I am at my age.

God Bless

P.S. I love you Uncle Ellis
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

I had a similar experience with an old buddy getting me going again. Good luck, and keep at it. :)
wabi

Post by wabi »

Ray,
Good to hear you're taking a positive attitude toward enjoying life.
I don't like to even think about my broken vertebra or the bone spurs in my shoulder. Just deal with the little hardships as the present problems and keep on enjoying life (which means hunting for me).
Like I told an X-ray tech when she asked how I got around as well as I do, "you focus on the pleasures in life, not the little discomforts!"
wabi
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

Glad to hear your looking on the positve side of life. Life is over in the blink of an eye, and we must try to enjoy every minute of we can. Take care and best of luck. Tom
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Thanks guys, It's a beautiful afternoon here in Eastern N.C. Just got off the phone with my Uncle and he said that he put a ladderstand about 500 yds down from the stand that he built for me. I'm going to pick up my boy ( Tyler ) and meet him at my stand at 3:00 to make sure that we get up there OK. He's going to sit in the stand that he put up this morning. Maybe someone will get one. It'll be a great peace of mind to know that we're only 500 yds apart.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

You guys certainly impress me, At 68 this June I'm very fortunate to climb trees and get around as well as I do. Never give up, keep doing what your doing and more. You are a leader for a lot of us more health types. :D
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

Best of luck to you in all your indeavors. :wink:
Lucky Lar

Post by Lucky Lar »

This is the greatest forum ever! I learn so much from you guys, and it isn't all crossbows and hunting either.