The ultimate wildlife tree

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

That don't look like any persimmon fruit this ol' boy's ever seen. American persimmon fruits are squat and smooth-skinned, without those rough little dots, and have a tri or quad lobed green cap on top. The mature fruit bruises very easily, is easily mashed (sort of mushy in texture), and very sweet, particularly after frost. It certainly doesn't bear any comparison to a small pear in either taste or texture.

Persimmons drop fruit throughout the growing season and rain it after frost. Deer, bear, coons, foxes, possums, and birds of all sorts particularly love persimmons ... most every critter loves persimmons ... including me!

Anyhow, in my estimation, whatever that is, it's not the common American Persimmon. They were not only common back home, but we raised them as nursery stock.

By the way, persimmons have a flat, shiny seed, pointy on one end. Has anyone split a persimmon seed this year? The center flesh of the seed body commonly appears in the rough shape of a knife, a fork, or a spoon. It is said that if the persimmon seed shows a spoon, there will be lots of snow ... if a knife, icy cold ... and if a fork, a mild winter.
Grizz
Deanmac

Post by Deanmac »

Totally agree Grizz, No persimmon

The last link I posted was dead on, A Pear.
Take a kid hunting and you will be rewarded
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

My first thought was persimmon, but after a closer look , I really think it's a type of pear. There was a tree on my grandad's farm that looked a lot like that, however it had a little larger fruit and a smaller tree. I would think the larger fruit and smaller tree was an improvement from the tree you have. Well, an improvement if you are eating/picking them yourself . . .not as good if you want them for the wildlife attraction. Anyway, it's a pear tree . . .treat it like one and you will grow a fine tree.

However, you will propably have to get seed from the fruit or a seedling from the area around the tree, because I'll bet there's no commercial market for that tree.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Adams your right. I had over 100 persimmons trees on my lease , use to play a little trick on newbie's, getting them to taist what the deer are eating before the 1st frost. The wild pears are realy sweet. This is an American wild pear tree from what a good friend {Farmer} once told me.