String dampener????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TYE

Post by TYE »

GaryL wrote:No but I am sure studying the system. Might be trying some thing soon after I check how far forward the string/limbs move when fired. Was thinking of using a littl rail lube with a small amount of baby powder to see it it will leave a slide mark on the riser.
Smart thinkin' :)
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

GaryL, mine was leaving a trail of wax on the riser . . .
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

jeeptag . . .that's smart . . .much easier and cheaper than this set-up, if the server/string issue was your #1 concern. Which in my case was my main objective . . .I just didn't want anymore prematurely breaking strings. I like the feel of the added benefits of the limbsavers, but, I like the ease of your idea. I'm going to that if for some reason the limbsavers are bad for the bow.

Thanks

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

It never occured to me that the string would go that far ahead, but I guess I can see that happening. I'd love to get Bill T's opinion on this "string stopper" idea. I can't imagine it would be damaging to the limbs, because they're basically at rest by the time the string would hit it, but I've been wrong before!

It seems like a great idea to me. I might set my blind up 30 yards away from my lures instead of 20 if I wasn't so scared of a deer jumping the string. :D
Matthias72

Post by Matthias72 »

I'm testing a similar system with AMAZING results on my new Exocet 200:

I used two normal Nap limb savers.
I tested a Brace Height = -0.74" respect 1st B.h. line to increase maximum the crossbow speed. Normally, if you use this set-up the crossbow becomes very very noisy and suddently, some time, the string cans jump out of the magtip tips.

I noticed an AMAZING noises and vibractions reduction, absolutly no problems with string and limb savers, no one exiting out of magtip tips, and the speed , before was 316 fps with 401grs arrow, now is 318.6 fps!
I noticed also: before the string extension was 1.77", and it went crushing against alluminum step; now the extension is only 0.39" and the string remains 0.59" distant from alluminum step.

Hunting&Crossbow- www.cacciaebalestra.altervista.org -The first Italian crossbowyers site

Exomax&Exocet200
Meopta Artemis 2000 3-12x50
Wolfszeit adjustable scope mount
Absorber V-BAR
Ultra-sensitive trigger
2219xx78-620grs-21% FOC
Nap Nitron
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Matthis72 . . .how many shots have you taken with your set-up. Extending the brace hight, thus increasing your stroke never crossed my mind.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Matthias72

Post by Matthias72 »

Less than 50, not a lot. But this kind of limb saver seems to be very good, no one sign of wear.
Hunting&Crossbow- www.cacciaebalestra.altervista.org -The first Italian crossbowyers site

Exomax&Exocet200
Absorber V-BAR
Ultra-sensitive trigger
2219xx78-620grs-21% FOC
Nap Nitron
grandtrout

Post by grandtrout »

Tye,
I tried these strips and didn't notice much of a result.

When I had a factory stock I pulled it off the bow and filled the voids under the rail with silicone and noticed a better improvement. I also pulled the cap off the pistol grip and filled the void with cut up inner tube. This seemed to make a noticible improvement without adding substatial mass weight. However, I got one of mark's wood stocks and even though it is a bit heavier it's alot quieter.

Jeeptag,
I tried this before I built the brackets - sort of an interm solution & found the same result. I put this stuff on my bow not to reduce string wear but to reduce noise so I wasn't realy concered about the string crossing over to the riser. When I went to the brakets & limbsavers - I got alot better reduction in noise.

Matthais. Love the web site!!
Do you find those blocks on the limbs reduce speed. - are they nessisary with the string stops?
Your shooting an extreamly low brace height! Looks like your way past the forward mark almost at the riser! Are you getting any string slap at the limb tip?

Just a theory here but..

Looking at your setup and based on my experience if you took the blocks off the limbs and moved your stops back to recomended minimum brace height you might get the same result (speed and noise) without the added weight up front. I tried limbsavers on my limbs in a similar position and lost about 8 fps - just about the same as what you would gain by shooting such a low brace height.

I haven't seen a draw force curve for excal limbs but I would suspect that they lose a fair bit of efficency beyond the forward mark. Theortically the emax at the highest brace height setting should have the same performace as the exocet at the lowest because they have the working draw length. If you shoot an excocet with a brace height at the riser you actually have the same draw length as the max between the marks but likely don't get the same performace and probably add abunch of string slap at the limb tip requiring those big block on the limbs that suck the noise out but rob some speed.

JB
Last edited by grandtrout on Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Matthias72 wrote:Less than 50, not a lot. But this kind of limb saver seems to be very good, no one sign of wear.
Matthias 72 like your idea very much, however have you checked your DP Bars of late ? in the picture they look bent out a little, could just be a illusion .... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Matthias72

Post by Matthias72 »

On the pics they was a prototype.
Now they are better:

Now I have shot 200 arrows 401 grs, and I didn't have problems.
All perfect: limb savers, limbs, serving and string. No one string jumping out of the tips. ( the B.H. is very low, but dampners
work well!).With this complite system you can have same speed (more speed for the major power stroke(+2.7fps) and string with only 22 threads(+2.5fps), less speed for limb savers on the limbs (but in this position I loosed only 3 fps) and little string savers(-1.5fps), an amazing noises reduction and a very safe system to avoid damages in case of a dry fire.
I use limb saver also on the limbs for safety because I shoot a lot of arrows during week, so 1 time in the past, with exomax, I had some problem of wear , (little cracks, I changed in warranty the limbs) on this part of the limbs (and...of course, also they reduce a little more noises and vibractions.
If you use this complite dampening system instead 400 grs arrows, an heavy hunting arrows, 620 grains , 275 fps, 103.4 FTP, noises are less than a recurve bow!

Exomax&Exocet200
Absorber V-BAR
Ultra-sensitive trigger
2219xx78-620grs-21% FOC
Nap Nitron
speedball

Post by speedball »

matthias72,if you used the exocet at the bottom line and still used the 400 grain arrow what would your fps be? would it increase with the limbsavers taken off the limbs??? :D
gone huntin never to return................
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Good question speedball . . .I'm betting that since his limbsavers are attached toward the inside part of his limbs . . .they will have little impact on speed. At the same time, they are probably not as big an impact on noise reduction as they would be if they were located closer to the tips.

What's the bottom line matthias72?

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Matthias72

Post by Matthias72 »

I told You, the speed without limbsavers on the limbs (in this position) increases about 3fps. But it depends on the limbsavers weight and their position on the limbs. If you put them near of the tips, you will have the best noises reduction but maximum speed loosing (also 10 fps). On my opinion the better position is 11" distant from the tips: good ratio between noises reduction/fps loosing.

Exomax&Exocet200
Absorber V-BAR
Ultra-sensitive trigger
2219xx78-620grs-21% FOC
Nap Nitron
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

The only limb mounted sound/ vibration suppressor that I had any real luk with was a product called Tunerz from a company called CSS. You lose some speed but loose a lot of the shock in the stock and a lot of limb noise.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-CSS-Bow-Tunerz- ... 31QQihZ001
Matthias72

Post by Matthias72 »

ciao Farmer,
I know them: they are mounted by Horton crossbows as standard equipment. But I don't know how better are respect other limb savers.

Exomax&Exocet200
Absorber V-BAR
Ultra-sensitive trigger
2219xx78-620grs-21% FOC
Nap Nitron