Vari Zone questions-- can't seem to get quite right.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Vari Zone questions-- can't seem to get quite right.

Post by Pydpiper »

New Bow, new scope, new problem.
I had this scope dead on yesterday at 20-30 yards, but my 40 and 50 seemd to be high, by about 4 inches.
This morning I went out again, turned the speed dial up a hair and now my 50 is dead on, so is the 40. But, now my 20 and thirty are high.. This is driving me nuts..
What else can I try? I shouldn't have to adjust the speed dial for each range should I?
wabi

Post by wabi »

Sight in with the crosshair at 20 yards, then adjust the speed dial at 40 or 50 yards. You should be close at all ranges once it's set.
wabi
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Thanks for the quick reply, I am sitting here fretting.
I am pretty sure I did just that, I had the speed dial set for about 330, and the crosshairs were set to 20 yards, then when I went back to the 50 and made the adjustment to the speed dial it affected my 20..
It's cold out there.. But I am going to try again from the beginning right now.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I set up the 20, went to the 50 adjusted the speed dial, then my 20 is out again..
A.W

Post by A.W »

Try 20 then 40.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

I know it's not the correct procedure, but I want the widest field of view that I can get while hunting, that's the least magnification with my Varizone scope. I did sight in at 20yds first, then made several shots at 30, 40, and 50 yards, knowing I was set up OK.
Then I rolled the scope all the way back. shot each range and tried to make a mental note in my brain as to where my bolt is going to strike.
I just don't want waste time to try to find my prey with a smaller field of view.
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

It is acting like the scope is moving or something. Tighten everything up, then go through the procedure again.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Sounds like you may have a problem with the scope. The speed adjustment should not change the 20 yard (crosshair) setting!
wabi
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

OK, it may be the freezing cold blowing wind, I don't know..
I twisted, turned and did everything short of swearing at it.. I now have every yardage landing inside of my 2" target.. I don't know what went wrong.
After I got to the correct adjustment I put 5 bolts out at each yardage, and every one of them is now directly on target.
Thanks guys.. That was frustrating.
Now, I get to do it all over again with broad heads. :?
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Sounds like things are basically going well. Remember, half the fun of these things is learning how they work and what they are capable of doing. Keep at it. Don't get frustrated. Above all enjoy. If you are within two inches targets at all those ranges, the world is a pretty good place. Deer won't care if you are an inch or two off...