OT - heat packs

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

deerdhunter

OT - heat packs

Post by deerdhunter »

This is not about croosbows but about hunting. Some health problems & maybe age have left me more sensitive to the cold. Also I am hunting in a very thick area and in small ladderstands so I can't move around much. Thinking of buying some heat packs/warmers. I see Jon-e, disposable and reusable packs. I plan on using them primarily for my boots - I have the Artic Shield boot covers to put them in. I know some need oxygen and others don't but I am not sure how much they need. The Jon-e would have to lay on their side and won't get much oxygen it would seem. Do any of you have experience with these and can advise?? :?:
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I use heat packs any time it gets below freezing. I've used the mitten ones, the foot/boot ones and the larger stick-on ones (I stick them in the middle of my back). No problems with any of them - LOVE 'EM!
deerdhunter

Post by deerdhunter »

Whay brand do you use & are they the disposable ones?
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

They're the disposables. I can't think of the brands right now - I buy them at Canadian Tire or KW Surplus. I also have the reusable kind that burn the sliver sticks in them but I haven't used them in ages. The disposables are easy to fit into mitts and boots and the big stick-on ones last for about 15 wonderful hrs.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I got this model for a sore back and found it's great for cold weather hunting.
http://www.walgreens.com/store/product. ... rgl_598391
BTW - I found mine at WalMart and they keep the replacement heat packs in stock. They are not cheap, but they last for 8 to 12 hours. If it's really cold $4. isn't too bad for a day's comfort.
wabi
dsr

Post by dsr »

I saw electric socks advertised in theCanadian Tire flyer. They use some small batteries.Probably work great.
My feet have been good so far this year. I'm wearing a pair of hunting boots with 1000 grams of thinsulate.I put some cheap wool socks from the Dollarama in them.
If you are still alive your mission here on Earth must not be completed.

Old rock hounds never die.They just slowly petrify.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I use them in my gloves, without them my fingers get cold pretty quick.

I was looking at the ones for the boot and according to the directions they should only be used inside boots. I guess they are designed to use little oxygen and if exposed to too much they get far too hot.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"