Scent lok let me down

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

butch

Scent lok let me down

Post by butch »

Went out the other day expecting to shower and do all the anti scent thing. Got to my place thats under renovation and discovered that there was no water. I was a little mad but thought what the hell Ive got that scent lok suit and scent away spray. I doused myself and got dressed in all my gear that I leave out side minus my scent lok suit that I bundle up in its own plastic bag. Long story short, I stunk and I had two deer bust me at my stand. The wind direction changed as they arrived and pushed my stink right towards them. They stomped and stomped and then took off. Oh well back out in a couple of days. Butch
Exocet w/ FFF string/ Aimpoint
18" Gold Tip Laser II's
and 125 grain Montec G5's
Fox

Post by Fox »

A lot of deer were shot before scent lok.
TYE

Post by TYE »

Fox wrote:A lot of deer were shot before scent lok.
Amen.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Its happened to all of us Butch...go back out and get em... :wink:
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
TYE

Post by TYE »

I just wake up, shower like I usually do, throw on my camoflauge and go. I never worry about scent stuff.
Fox

Post by Fox »

Just watch the wind, I know you get busted sometimes but that is all part of the game.
excaliburfanatic

Post by excaliburfanatic »

i agree butch alot of deer were harvested before scent-lok and before alot of all this scent spray around today... i think we depend too much on all this comercial stuff today. and not enough on just plain ole good hunting skills. keep at it you will get em. patience and persistance is the key to harvest good luck
NZ Hunter

Post by NZ Hunter »

I totaly agree with you, use the wind and your skills. Dont waste your money.
If it feels good, DO IT.
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

saturday i had a group of five deer come within 50 of one of the stands, weel the came up wind and i got busted, but there's been so much movement the last few days, that i went back yesterday, went into a different stand with a crosswind and the same five came by, i got all excited has it looked like they were going to walk right underneth the stand but at 20 yds they changed their mind, and started to all behind me, could never get a shot at them. but they never even knew i was there, if the wind is good :!:

Seen lots of deer this past weekend, they seem to getting more relaxed and starting to use the fields again to feed in daylight.
BOB VANDRISH

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

I had a nearly similar incident a couple of weeks back,where a nice buck was coming across a field for over 300 yards,and stopped about 65 yards from me,and got wind of something.
I knew that the wind direction would cross his path,so I had plenty of time to put out some doe scent,and also some pine concentrate,and I was in a portable blind,so he did not see me.
He just calmy walked up the side of a knoll,looked back over the field,and walked into the woods.
He had the most unusual rack,with long brow tines,and antlers that stood above his head straight up about 15",with a 6" vee at the top on both sides.
A non typical six point,for sure!
He lives on for another day!
Bob Vandrish.
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

Latest thread (of many) over at huntingnet.com. Check out Proff's post, in particular.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1816190
A.W

Post by A.W »

I recall when I was a kid in the Brit army I went on a nuclear, chemical, biological warfare course. While doing this course we used chemical suits. We were told then (1970 or 71) that the suits were only good for a few hours........That's if we didn't get a "chemical bath" before we had to change them for a new one.

We had to change them by taking them off inside out so that we could stand on the inside of the suit to put our new one on. I got crapped on for asking a simple question.

"If the enemy is banging chemical or gas at us and we have to change the suit and the wind is blowing, won't we get contaminated and die?"

Never did get an answer. :lol:

Anyway. I wont spend money on scentblock equipment.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
TPM

Post by TPM »

When hunting we challenge all the deers senses. We challenge the hearing so we remain quiet in the bush, wear quiet clothes (I don't think you're going to wear a full nylon suit hunting), and obsess about how quiet our equipment is. We challenge sight so we where camo, sit in tree stands or ground blinds and remain very still. This is why I can't for the life of me understand why people don't want to take full advantage of the deers first line of defense, his sense of smell. Hunting the wind is only a part of the equation. If you're lucky enough to hunt where the wind direction never changes, and I have yet to find that spot, then great, scent cover and elimination is not an issue. But personally I've experienced wind changing direction as many as three times during one hunt.
Go ahead and "hunt the wind" but I'll continue to take it one step further and practice at least some level of scent control.
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

TPM wrote:Go ahead and "hunt the wind" but I'll continue to take it one step further and practice at least some level of scent control.
Believe me, if I thought that carbon-lined clothes were effective at scent control, I would buy them too. Eat some baked beans, put your suit on and pass gas near your wife. I bet that the suit won't contain your scent well enough to fool even a lowly human's nose.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Corvus wrote:
TPM wrote:Go ahead and "hunt the wind" but I'll continue to take it one step further and practice at least some level of scent control.
Believe me, if I thought that carbon-lined clothes were effective at scent control, I would buy them too. Eat some baked beans, put your suit on and pass gas near your wife. I bet that the suit won't contain your scent well enough to fool even a lowly human's nose.
Will these carbon suits sork ............ YES they will.
Are they the end all to all scent control problems .......... NO they are not.
Will they ELIMINATE your scent ................. NO they only help control it.

Remember that most of your scent comes from your breath. As well as what Corvus said ....... JUST PASS GAS to see how effective any scent control products are.

If you really want to test your scent control, here is a test I did a long time ago (i have posted it here before too).

Anyone can do this exact test if they have a dog. Get dressed like you would be going hunting, then go into the woods. Have someone else take your dog in to look for you. If the dog likes you it will come to you as soon as it smells you. This test can be done even without the carbon suits to just give you an idea of how much scent you actually eliminate with your precautions.

Belive me that you will not eliminate as much as you think you do. But then that is half the battle right, believing in your chances and setup. I am not saying that scent control is not worth it, just that you should not go over board and trust it too much.

Use the scent control to aid in your playing the wind.

In my test, my dog (a beagle) picked up my scent, but not as quickly as he normally did (without scentloc). You see I would use this test as a game (many many time) with my dog, right from a pup as a training tool. HE also had a great nose, but he had to work to pin point me at about 30 yards, but without the suit, he would get me much faster and further. Trouble is, with deer, with the human scent, it is dander and they normally just flee.

Just my take on scent control.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]