hunting bedding areas?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chris4570

hunting bedding areas?

Post by chris4570 »

Does anyone hunt bedding areas?

As a last ditch effort before the season ends I'm thinking of infiltrating a bedding area. I was scouting today and found some well used beds, jumped a couple of deer, trails, rubs etc.

I'm thinking of getting in REAL early, take a nap, and wait for something to happen.

Any suggestions how to hunt these areas, successfully?
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

I hunt a bedding area in early Archery season only in the Morning. I slip in while it is still dark with the wind in my favor. I always see Deer and some really close. I have never taken a Nice Buck that way until this year. I almost always score in the late afternoon hunt while they are moving from bedding areas to feeding areas.
Big John

bedding areas

Post by Big John »

The only bedding areas around me are off my property!
Wish I could help you there. :(
All I can say is, go in quiet, wind in your face, as scent free as possible, and carry a "Large Horseshoe" in you nap sack. :wink:
Keep up the Fight Friend! Something will come of it.
The one on my property is driving me nuts! You cant imagine the time I've been putting in for him! :twisted:
He is completely nocturnal, same as last year!
I put out some apples cut in half when I left last week, probably 3 dozen in a couple spots around my stands. He was there, his foot prints were bigger than the apples!
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I'm thinking of getting in REAL early, take a nap, and wait for something to happen.

Thats a great idea Chris..just be prepared to wait them out good luck to ya Bro..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

If it's a buck's bedroom you plan to hunt, you have to be in there at the very least 2 hours before legal shooting light. Hunting a buck's bedding area is usually more productive during the late season than it is during the early season because they go on a feeding frenzy, so they spend less time holed-up and will be away from their bedding area more frequently. Just watch you don't blow a mature buck out of his bed, because if you do the game will be over as you more than likely already know.

Another option is to hunt near doe bedding areas, but not too close to the bedding area on a known bedding/feeding trail. Hunting close to doe bedding areas could also be productive during the late season. Oh yeah, don't forget, the third rut, yes, the third rut is coming!...

Just my opinion.

Good Luck!
Ontario Trophy Bucks
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

I hunted a beding area last week, I got mto my spot 1 1/2 hours before shooting time ( about 5am )does anyone know if that is early enought?
And I can't figure out if or when they choose to come out one side or the other.