Groundpounder mount on old style cast exocet riser.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mike P

Groundpounder mount on old style cast exocet riser.

Post by Mike P »

Here are three pictures of my cast riser exocet with the groundpounder mount. Todd was nice enough to create two adapters for me as you can see in the close up photo.

This is really slick. I ride a honda foreman to a lot of my hunting sites and I have the yoke style gun holders and now my exocet fits the yokes like a dream. The same is true now for my gun holders on my climbing stands. The old style quiver used to make it very hard for the yoke style gun holders.

But by far the best feature and the one I wanted is the ease to shoot right and left-handed without interference from the quiver. I'm in heaven.

Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

The string MUST be coming into contact with the posts that mount to the riser. Is there any difference in bolt speed with & without the quiver mounted onto the riser? How about signs of string wear? Any difference in sound when you fire with & without those mounts?

The system looks nice. I just have some reservations till I get answers for those concerns.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Makomachine

Post by Makomachine »

Hi5 wrote:The string MUST be coming into contact with the posts that mount to the riser. Is there any difference in bolt speed with & without the quiver mounted onto the riser? How about signs of string wear? Any difference in sound when you fire with & without those mounts?

The system looks nice. I just have some reservations till I get answers for those concerns.
The string doesn't go up that far - I've used the groundpounder mount for a while now and love it. There is ~ 3 inches from the string resting point and the mount - physically impossible for it to go that far - strings don't stretch that much. Same exact point of impact with and without the mount for me - except I've found my groups got even tighter. I think it is due to the fact that the xbow got some needed mass in the center to help offset the limb "teetering" that can occur with these bows. I'm definitely keeping mine on - and I've been a hip quiver guy for years...
Excalibur Phoenix
Vari-Zone Scope
Steddy Eddy
Gold Tip LII / Blazer vanes / Tracer Nock / Slick Trick BH
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

And if the string did go up that far it should be coming off.... That would be to low of a brace height recommended by Excal.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Like Makomachine said, the string doesn't go near that far forward. The one pictured here is different because it is the old style cast riser and what this one is bolted to is the old peep mount screw holes. On all others it is mounted even farther forward in front of the peep mount dove tail. You know your string isn't going to hit your peep mount and the risers for the groundpounder mount is even farther away. Hope this answers any concerns.
Why ride when you can walk!
wabi

Post by wabi »

With my Excaliburs and a string set to a 1 1/8" brace height the string definately DOES slap the "shelf" on the riser every shot with a minimum weight arrow!
If you don't believe it put something like carpenter's chalk on the serving and shoot a minimum weight arrow, then check the shelf!
I used to mark the serving with a permanent marker at the sides of the rail, and the shelf soon has a blob of ink on it!
By shelf I'm refering to the step in the riser in front of the rail as my poorly edited pic might show. In this case the quiver mount is above the "shelf" and shouldn't be touched by the string.
wabi
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Well coming from you wabi I believe it, however will still check it out cause if it do seems like the brace height would be too low. However as I have never checked out string travel from foward limb travel reckon it could be the case.

Reckon that's why there be a small shelf/ridge there :?: And that would sure be a lot of the noise problem and also why the damper system posted a while back would be a great help for string wear and noise!!

That's enough to make me go back to my COMPOUND xbow :evil:

Man that would sure RIP up a string if your tiller was off by much, by not hitting the shelf EVEN would sure do a string in :!:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

I see now where this could be an issue with this one with the adapter over hanging the shelf slightly. It could be easily resolved by trimming the adapter even with the shelf. I was working from a picture to make the adapter so didn't get all of the details. This should no way be a problem with the machine risers though because it is mounted above the peeps mount farther up the riser. Thanks Wabi for inputing the detail in the picture, it helped me to visualize the potential problem.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Gary L.
I first became aware of it when Mark Henegar and I were testing a prototype of his wooden stocks. We discussed the possibility of putting something on the "shelf" such as leather to see if it would reduce noise, but I've never tried it yet. Shucks, that's only been about 5 or 6 years ago. :roll: I don't see any problems from it, so I figure "it it ain't broke - don't fix it".
As I said, try putting ink from a permanent marker on well waxed serving thread to mark the edges of the rail, then shoot a few times with a minimum weight arrow. There will soon be a colored mark across the riser and on the "shelf". I've done it with a Vixen, (cast riser) an Exocet, (175#) and a Phoenix.
wabi
knobby

Post by knobby »

on my new Exocet with the brace height set slightly low....you dont need a marker to see that the string is traveling up on to the shelf/riser. There is a pretty obvious drag mark there from just the waxed FFF string.

and this bow hasnt been fired many times yet....maybe 50 at most
knobby

Post by knobby »

GaryL wrote:Well coming from you wabi I believe it, however will still check it out cause if it do seems like the brace height would be too low. However as I have never checked out string travel from foward limb travel reckon it could be the case.
I have never seen a slow mo video of a xbow going off....but I dont think the limbs would have to travel forward beyond their normal resting point for the string to continue forward onto the riser. The only way the limbs could travel forward beyond brace height is for the string to stretch.

I can however see the limbs going forward to BH and then being pulled backward again by the strings momentum....which would give the string the room it needs to travel forward past brace height.

Like I said I have never seen a slow mo of a xbow....but I have seen several slow mo videos of vertical bows and it can be down right scary to watch lol. Make ya scared to ever shoot one again.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I have always been aware that the string travels onto the shelf of the riser on my old exocet. I could always see the wax and the green color from my seving on the shelf.

I will shoot several arrows of various weights later today and let you know my findings regarding arrow groupings, noise and possible damage to the string prior to making any changes to the adapters for the mount.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

I am doing some testing and will try a video of the string travel this week. So far It has not made it to the shelf :!: Don't think I want to lower my brace height any lower then 3/4" as the string could fly off :shock:

With out DP bars/pads and a low brace height maybe :!: How about it Peter the Dude or Mr. Bill T. do the string hit the shelf ledge or not :?:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I shot six 2216's and six 2219's with the mount in place and all arrows grouped perfectly. I shot at 20 and 30 yards and held two inch groups. (was shooting off-hand so that’s the best I can do)

I noticed nothing out of the ordinary and if anything, it actually might have reduced the noise level! Perhaps the mount stiffened things up a bit, I don't know.

As you can see from the pictures, my brace height is just at 1 1/8 inch.

While shooting, I placed a water based ink on the serving and cleaned the riser shelf after each shot (as well as the rail). The string did indeed travel onto the shelf but according to the ink marks, the travel fell well short of the vertical shelf wall shown on the picture that wabi marked with the red line. The closest the ink mark got to the vertical wall at the end of the shelf was a little over 5/16 inch and that was when shooting a 2216 with a 100 gr. field tip. When shooting the 2219's, the ink marks did not come near as close to the shelf wall.

Also, as you may be able to tell from the photos, my dissipater pads are really old and compressed. I am going to put new ones on and see if this further reduces the forward travel of the string onto the riser.

I am certain there is no need to grind the adapters to be flush with the shelf wall. Even if I decreased the brace height I think the string would go under the adapters and slap the shelf wall. I do not anticipate any additional string wear or serving wear above normal with this set up.

Guys, it was not very scientific but I am satisfied with the results. I am, however, upset that this adaption worked so well. It now makes it much harder to justify the purchase of a new exocet 200.

The old exocet in the pictures has been with me through thick and thin. She is as comfortable as a pair of old hunting boots. She has been dropped 25 feet out of a treestand and didnt even dry fire. (thats a whole different story, and I bet I am not alone!) :oops:

This old bow has never let me down. How many things in life can make that claim. But I think after this season I will retire her to backup status.

That new girl just looks so damn sexy!
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

I'm really glad it all worked out for you! GP.