O/T watch where you buy stuff from

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chessy

O/T watch where you buy stuff from

Post by chessy »

I can`t believe how bad customer service has become. I have to rant just to get this off my chest. I purchased a new rifle and a Bushnell 4200 2.5-10X 50mm scope from a gun shop in Peterborough(accuracy plus, ). After mounting the scope and heading to the range I found that the windage knob would not move. I thought this would require a simple return trip to the store and an over the counter switch as obviously this scope was defective from the factory, WRONG! after returning to the store I was told that it wasn`t their problem that I had to send it back to Bushnell! I spent over $1500 on this rifle and scope and now this is the customer service they provide! I`ll shop online from SIR or Wholesale Sports from now on and to heck with local shops! I always used to spend my money locally because I believed that I would get service by doing so, now I`ll buy from the cheapest! I feel better now.
knobby

Post by knobby »

I would have said... I didnt buy the scope from Bushnell... I bought it from YOU. I am returning it for a refund. Oh and while your at it I would like to return this rifle too...for a full refund.
M&M

Post by M&M »

A good gun dealer that wanted to take care of his customers would take care of that for you. The shop I deal with always takes care of me with issues like that as long as I purchased it from him and I guess that is why I have been buying from him for 16 years. M&M
TPM

Post by TPM »

I'd go back and remind them of a thing called "Warranty of Merchantability". If they, as a retailer, are going to sell you something as a newly manufactured item they are required to stand behind it for a period of at least 30 days. It's the law here in Ontario. It's up to them to deal with the distributer of manufacturer.
chessy

Post by chessy »

where can i find this information ... please help petoubour is closer than richmound hill
TPM

Post by TPM »

I'm sure if you do a search you can find some info. And I'm sure if you confront the retailer they will know exactly what you're talking about. The warranty of merchantability means that the product will be "fit for the ordinary purpose for which a products is used" or something like that. To prove a breach of this warranty you must show that the product was defective in design, materials, or workmanship. In the case of your scope this obviously wouldn't be a problem. If they are an authorized Bushnell dealer then I would also mention that you plan on taking up this matter of their poor customer service with Bushnell. You'd be suprised what kind of action you can usually get. :D
mblaney

Post by mblaney »

I just searched and found the answer to this question about a week ago but I cannot find the link (I cleared my history).

What I found was the following:

1. A retailer is not obligated to accept returns if "you changed your mind". Before you buy something make sure that you are going to keep it. There is no law that states that a retailer must honour a return policy for a certain number of days; most retailers offer this as a service to their customers.

2. A retailer is obligated to refund or exchange a product that is sold an is found to be defective.

The reason why I researched this was because Lebarons has a crappy return policy and I thought that there was a law for this (I turns out that Lebarons extends there return period for Christmas - you have until 10 days after boxing day).

If I find the link again I will post it.

Mike
mblaney

Post by mblaney »

Here you go!!

http://www.gov.on.ca/MGS/en/ConsProt/STEL02_045913.html

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/Stat ... 1_e.htm#13.

I also found some good stuff searching for "Consumer protection act". I found one from SK, I would assume Ontario would be very similar.

Mike
:D
rutman

Post by rutman »

Thanks guys you just convinced me of two places not to shop. Sorry, that that happened, and I am positive that bushnell would like to here the story. Wal-mart, Cabelas, Bass Pro, SIR and other big companies would never risk dissatisfaction like that. I have a rural gun shop nearby, and they would look after your problem for the same reason. Thats crappy!
I would turn into a walking ad for any other business. :x
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
A.W

Post by A.W »

FYI

This is nothing to do with Chessy's problem but I thought I would mention it for future ref.

Most large retailers use a computer program to keep a check on "returns".

This program keeps a record of names and phone numbers. When you return something they ask for your name and number. If both come up on their computer too often, which could be 4 times in a year, they will not take the item back.

The store I "USE AND HATE" is Crappy Tire. Some of their stuff is good and a lot is not.

Any time I take something back I give them my name and a different phone number. If they ask for an address I will not give them it. I tell them that info would be invading my privacy and they back off.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
mblaney

Post by mblaney »

AW
It is against privacy law for a retailer (CTC) to keep your return history on file. I think I recently read a post here about this and it had a lot of detail about what information they are allowed to keep. My understanding is that (CTC, in the example) has changed their policy - and database program - to not allow this information to be accumulated.

I don't see how any retailer could "profile" you and refuse to offer warranty service in a situation where a product was clearly defective.

For the number of times my wife has purchased stuff from Walmart and returned it they would have had her picture posted at every cash by now :lol: :lol:

Here is another option; go buy a new scope at Bass Pro and return the defective one :oops: :twisted: You didn't hear it from me!

Cheers,
Anonymous :lol:
A.W

Post by A.W »

mblaney.

CTC has the program. There was a show on CTV a few months ago about this program the big stores use.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

A.W wrote:mblaney.

CTC has the program. There was a show on CTV a few months ago about this program the big stores use.
I agree with you, I have 2 different phone lines at home, so I also will alternate, if I feel that I'm returning "Crappy" stuff more than I'd like.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
JR

Post by JR »

I bought a Bushnell scope 6-7 years ago with a "lifetime" warranty. I removed it from another slug gun(without removing the rings) and installed it on my new gun. . After 10 shots, the windage was pooched (main tube was dented). I called Bushnell and their customer service told me that my scope isn't warrantied due to recoil !!! Go figure. Now I spend my money on other brands, and never had a problem with customer service elsewhere, even when it was my fault.

-Jason
Stock Exomax and now a Micro 335. :)
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a263/thebuckhunter/smiley_561gun.gif[/img]
chessy

Post by chessy »

well after talking to consumer affairs and busnell i have to go to the store and get a new scope..they oppologized at length and explainded to me that accuracy plus was not aware of bushnells policy :oops: :oops: they have sold bushnell for a long time you figure they would no buy now.but i will give them the benifit of doubt :shock: i had the sales rep from bushnell tell me to go accuracy plus to go get new one.... all in all i am happy with the outcome... but i WILL NOT SHOP AT ACCURACY PLUS AGAIN MY LAST TRIP WILL BE THERE TO GET A REPLACEMENT SCOPE

consumer affairs tells me they have to accept the return due to defective so guys and gals let this be a lesson to all of us..... you have to bitch and complain to get what the law says you should get in the first place