String wear

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

String wear

Post by sumner4991 »

I am breaking string after about 100 shots(maybe less) . . .is that normal?

Exomax 225# . . .

I use the rope type cocking device.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

No its not normal at all. You shouldn't break strings at all. Just wear the serving out and have to replace it. So did you wax yer string and serving from end to end? Take piece of leather and rub the wax into string and serving well and do that again. Set string brace heigth back on line closest to trigger, string will stretch some.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I still have my first string that broke and looks like it broke about where the right side of the rope cocking device hooks onto the serving.

I put wax on it the way it shows on the instructional DVD.

I sent an email to customer service . . .
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
saxman

Post by saxman »

You know how vert archers put release string loops on their string?
I have thought about putting two on my string for the rope cocker to hook to as to not damage the string.
Would this affect speed and performance?
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hey, Sax ...

Opinions vary on this as on all things, but I am a 30+ year archer, and in my estimation, the main advantage of string loops on compounds is that they:

Reduce nock pinch
Reduce torque
Reduce serving wear

That being said, the first two are the main advantages, since a properly polished release aid jaw doesn't cause much serving wear anyway ... certainly no more than that caused by the nock of the arrow itself. I've not seen many situations in which the serving needed to be replaced simply because the release aid had ruined it before it would normally need replacing anyway.

In my experience, string loops do not significantly affect string life, only SERVING life.

There are exceptions, of course.

As to string failure, that should (normally) never be a problem, especially with a double-jaw release catch, as is found on crossbows. The string should exhibit significant signs of wear, and perhaps strand failure, long before total failure threatens.

As to string additions affecting FPS, the answer is yes, adding two string loops to your crossbow's string will definitely negatively affect your speed. That doesn't mean you won't have enough, or more than enough, left to do the job; it just means that the old rule always applies: ANYTHING YOU ADD TO YOUR STRING REDUCES FPS!

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it much. If you wax that string regularly, re-serve occasionally, and look for warning signs, you should be OK.

Of course, mileage may vary ...

Grizz
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

saxman if you make sure the hooks on your string cock-er are rounded on the out-side edges and smooth you should have no string damage from your rope cock-er. The hooks grab the serving part of the string and if not smooth on the out-side edges (facing the limb tips) it can separate the serving.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
knobby

Post by knobby »

saxman wrote:You know how vert archers put release string loops on their string?
I have thought about putting two on my string for the rope cocker to hook to as to not damage the string.
Would this affect speed and performance?
that actually doesnt sound like a bad idea

although they would have to be rather large loops to accomodate the hooks on the rope cocker

one thing about the rope cocker I dont like is you still have to pull the string back to meet it....and this is done with one hand pulling on only one side of the string....which seems counter productive to cocking the bow straight. Which is a major reason we use the rope cocker to begin with

loops might also correct that
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

knobby wrote:one thing about the rope cocker I dont like is you still have to pull the string back to meet it....and this is done with one hand pulling on only one side of the string....which seems counter productive to cocking the bow straight. Which is a major reason we use the rope cocker to begin with
When you use the rope cocking-aid, the correct method is to place either the left or right hook (your preference) on the string, and wrap the rope around the notch, then grasp the string underneath the hook,and pull up, while simultaneously grasping and pushing down on the other hook until it attaches to the string. Push both hooks close to the mainframe/rail, grasp both handles and pull up to "cock and lock" your string, and it will be centered each and every time.

sumner4991: your string shouldn't be breaking after just 100 shots. From your pic I see that you're using an endless loop string, unfortunately they aren't as strong as the Flemish Twist strings, since they only have half the number of strands around the loops. Also, they can't be twisted as much, and that also make them susceptible to single strand breakage. That's one reason I don't use them and make my own Flemish Twist strings.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

would using string loops shorten your power stroke, and if both loops are not exactly the same lenght it would cock off center?i would check with excalibur some of these ideas may void the warranty,I kind of thought excalibur had nearly perfected the crossbow, although some of these ideas do sond interesting.
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

100 shots sounds too soon for a string to break to me. I think it could have something to do with the brace height. Is you string to close to the brace? I have heard of them hitting that joint and hurting strings.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Mine did that the day after I dry fired, a limb and dissipator bar were replaced. The day after on all new stuff (besides the string) I had the same thing happen.