Is it just here

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rutman

Post by rutman »

I'm sorry you guy's are sharing my difficulties. I guess it's part of hunting and we just have to suck it up. Yesterday, my brother who works at the local garage called me on my cell just as I was finished the morning hunt. He said a lady just pulled in with a smashed up van that had hit a deer, about 10:30 am. He asked her where she had hit it and she told him it had run out in the field dragging it's rear and that it was a big buck. I't layed down out in the field. I at that time was about five miles from the spot but only had the xbow. I went there to find it laying about 20 yrds out from the ditch head up and quite lively. I didn't know for sure at the time but it had two broken back legs. There was a lot of traffic on the highway and it looked like he was gonna take for the bush. I couldn't get out of the truck for fear of scaring him so with the bow still cocked I loaded and sent one flying. His front leg was back in camel mode and guess who sucked and shot low. :oops: I then decided, too bad for the onlooking traffic and best for the deer was to get out, reload and walk out. I got a better angle and the next one hit the mark. He was dne about 3 minutes later. he rolled over and broke one of my GT's and left one of my expandibles in his boiler room, made for scary field dressing. My brother took the meat so another deer was not wasted on the wrong kind of grill. I just wish I would of had a gun instead not only for a quicker kill but my lousy first shot made for an expensive road kill.
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
bow hunter

Post by bow hunter »

Everybody I talk to is experiencing the same thing. The deer seem to be in a typical October pre-rut pattern. Any why not, the weather seems to be pretty typical October weather. Usually most years this time of year,in my locations,the deer are moving toward yarding areas and become less nocturnal as they take advantage of warmer day time temperatures. Not the case this year. The apples I put out are cleaned up, and there are lots of tracks, but we see almost no activity. The whole season hasbeen very strange. I really think the weather has been the cause.
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

Bow-hunter, I think you are correct.

Normally the cold weather is in and their movement switches to mid day as they conserve more enegy. They would be keeping to heavier cover during the cold part of the day. However, at 6 C with heavy coats the movement is no going to happen a mid-day. Like warm weather during the rut they will move when it is more comfortable and cooler - after dark.

This weather pattern is almost identical to the weather pattern during the year of the Great Ice Storm. I think this year we will have the same ice problem with little snow.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

This morning I had four deer go by me at 8:45. None with headgear. It's not impossible. I will try a different spot tomorrow morning, don't want to burn out todays location.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"