Cross bow discharge in the city.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

John Wade

Cross bow discharge in the city.

Post by John Wade »

I know it will vary from city to city as far as bylaws but provincially (Ontario) can you shoot a crossbow legally outside a rural area? I spoke to one police and he thought no to crossbow but yes to a bow. He said the difference was the trigger mechanism. I'm in London.

jw
John Wade the Dog Trainer
www.johnwade.ca
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

No offence to law enforcement officers, but they are probally the worst ones to ask a question like that.
You would be best going right into the police station and asking, a decent cop will bring out the book and go through it with you.
The first thing that comes to mind about the "trigger mechagnism" is the definintion of exactly what that is, most vertical bow hunters I have seen also use a trigger mechagnism of sorts.
I hope you have a good answer planned when they ask why you want to use a crossbow in the city though..
maple

Post by maple »

Pydpiper,

Check the bylaws to be sure. For instance in Ottawa

"firearm" means any class or type of gun or other firearm including a shotgun, rifle, air-gun, spring-gun, long-bow or cross-bow;

and none are allowed to be discharged in built up areas. HOWEVER, the city includes a lot of rural areas where use of firearms is allowed. There are maps on the web to pinpoint all 'no discharge of firearms' areas.

Cops are the last ones to ask about the details. So check for yourself.

Maple
Hipwader

Post by Hipwader »

In all fairness to the "cops", the majority of cities and municipalities have by-law officers to enforce by-laws, ask them. Legislation is constantly changing and it is damn near impossible to keep on top of it. Look online at your provincial / state webpages to see if there are any laws regarding the discharge of crossbows etc within city limits would be your safest bet. Hipwader
Hipwader

Post by Hipwader »

[quote="Pydpiper"]No offence to law enforcement officers, but they are probally the worst ones to ask a question like that.

None taken :)
korey99

Post by korey99 »

John Wade:

For London specifically, you can look at the by-laws at the city web site, but here's the excerpt pertaining to bows within city limits. I investigated this quite thoroughly...know ALL about it!

3.13 Exception-parcels of 4.05 Hectares or more-bow

Section 2.1 of this by-law, as it applies to the discharge of a bow, does not apply so as to prohibit the owner or occupier of a parcel of land of 4.05 hectares (10 acres) or more located within the area set out in schedules “A” and “B” of this by-law, or a person or persons carrying such owner or occupier’s written permission on their person, from discharging a bow for the purposes of hunting or target shooting.

Here's the link for more info.

http://www.london.ca/Cityhall/CorpServi ... irearm.pdf

korey99
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

A LEO's job is to take the weapon and let the courts decide if it was legal to carry or not. For that reason I would not attempt to use it in the city.
As Hipwader states, there are by-law officers out there who can guide you the best, the laws change so quickly that there are few people who can keep up with the variances.
The only reason I can think of to use a crossbow in the city is for nuisance animal control or practicing. If this is about animals then as part of your city's animal control I can offer better strategies, and if it about practicing, well, I can help with that too.. :D
John Wade

Post by John Wade »

May have misunderstood korey99. You are part of London's Animal Control?
John Wade the Dog Trainer
www.johnwade.ca
korey99

Post by korey99 »

No, not at all.

Just interested in hunting within city limits. Since the amalgamation of the city of London with several outlying areas, there are large parcels of land within the new "city Limits", but still overpopulated with deer.

korey99
Adam

Post by Adam »

thank you korey for layig it out. i have been using that law to my advantage for the 2 short years ive been bowhunting. now lets try to get some permission to hunt the sifton bog hahaha. to bad that crazy lady shuts the proposed hunt down every time it comes to the table.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

John Wade wrote:May have misunderstood korey99. You are part of London's Animal Control?
I don't want to mislead.. I am part of London's animal control..Yes.
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

all you have to do is ask for a copy of municipal by laws at city hall .for eg london there are vast areas of farmland that were annexed by a greedy city,some of the areas are in a no shoot zone where all forms of weapons are not allowed, in the other areasguns and bows are allowed as long as you crry landowners consent and the acreage is large enough. theres no guessing fellas just do your legwork. I carry the bylaws in my car so there will be no problem,there are some huge deer in the city and lots of them.some bushes that are in the no shoot zone have active treestands in them and these guys are risking alot with all the dogooders around with cell phones to report them.
korey99

Post by korey99 »

Bait Pile: I'll have to disagree with you on the no-shoot zone. As long as the parcel of land is larger than 10 acres, and you carry land-owner permission, you are able to discharge a bow within the city limits (regardless of it being the "pink" area, or outside of the pink area on the internet by-law file).

Pydpiper: With you being an Animal Control guy...what are your thoughts?

korey99
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Under normal circumstances I am not a "by the book" person, I do what feels right to me, not what is recommended.
However, in this sport I think that the laws should be closely followed, it is a safety issue, a big one. Bait pile was stating that the information you seek is somewhere in black and white, you just need to find it and develop an understanding. It will involve some work, but in the end you will have the necessary knowledge to hunt safely.
The risks someone could take could cause them to lose their property, or worse.

I have a small piece of property I was given exclusive rights to hunt, my son and I walk the land frequently thinking we were alone, and safe. I started finding evidence of hunters trespassing, and now I will not let my son out there until I find the guys, or guys. I figure if someone is willing to break a law to hunt they are probably skipping a few other basic laws, and that is unsafe.
xbow300win

Post by xbow300win »

Interesting that you would assume this Mr. Pydpiper?

AKA...animal control guy

Bwahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1