Waxing the serving, why?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Pydpiper wrote:I like the color of your string, more importantly, the serving looks like it is holding up excellent.
What would you compare your string to in the world of Excalibur? Similar in strength and speed as the stock one, or have you managed to make something you feel is more able to perform?
I feel that speed-wise my custom string is comparable and not much faster than the factory FFF string. However, as far as stability, and durability, I feel that both the string and serving exceed the factory ones by far.
knobby wrote:the serving on any new bow string is bound to begin separating sooner or later...
as the string stretches with use...it gets alittle thinner...causing the serving to become looser. Especially on sumthing with as much pressure on it as an Excalibur style xbow.
Knobby, there's a lot of truth to what you say, however with the proper preventative maintenance and care, the serving will last longer. At the end of, and even in between my shooting sessions, I alway inspect my string. I will readjust the brace height if needed, rub and twist the serving. By doing so, I've had some of my strings last for more than two years
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
BUCKSHOT

Ayep!

Post by BUCKSHOT »

Tom wrote:Pydpiper when I look at your picture I see a possible other problem. What I see is not the serving being pushed apart like we thought in our above postings, but possibly cut from sharp edges. Take a fine piece of emery paper to smooth the edges of the bars that hold the string when cocked. Sometimes there has been a trigger assembly that gets shipped with sharp edges but it is easy to cure.

Give that a try and see if it helps for you.
That is good advice Tom!
You should stick with the string wax Pydpiper, now you know what the
co-incidence was!
String wax is a must, and the thought of using the leather to melt it in is also a good recommendation!
Shoot straight!
Enjoy the Harvest!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

A hair dryer is a great idea, I bet that gets the wax good and deep.

I applied the wax last night, thinking my morning walk may be a bit damp, later today I will try the hairdryer.
htoler

Post by htoler »

one of you guys ought to call D. Miller and see what he tells you about waxing your center serving I think what he tells you might surprise you..
it caused a pretty big debate when I shared what he told me..
ExCalibur ExoCet 200
Tenpoint ProElite
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've always waxed the center serving, but the description of the serving thread says it's "resin coated" - not sure what that might be for, but perhaps it would hold up without wax? I would think some type of deck lube might be needed if the center serving isn't waxed. One thing I have noticed when meeting and shooting with other Excalibur users is that most of them (when I looked at their crossbow) do wax a lot heavier than I do. There is often wax build-up on the rail and riser. I have always been very careful to keep wax applications minimal (with my trad bowstrings, too) and always rub the new wax to heat it and "melt it in".
wabi
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

What Htoler is talking about is Dan Miller's advice to NOT wax center serving. While I realize that borders heresy on here, I had consulted him about an Emax that is/was eating servings. I assumed the claw was cutting the serving, but he correctly diagnosed the problem as not so much a cutting but rather the serving separating. He told me that the wax was softening the serving and allowing this to happen. Since I had a freshly waxed to the max string on the Emax, I decided to try this method on my Phoenix which was due for a string. I'm about 150 shots into it now, sans wax, and can see no difference. It still looks like new.
"Eze 18:21"
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

One needs to check what Excalibur recommends for wax as some strings use different types of material for the strings and some of the string wax out there can cause it to deteriorate.

I use string wax only on the string and loops, NONE on the serving and only a light coating of Horton Lube on the rail with NO build up on the rail or trigger. After rounding off my hooks on my string cock-er have not had any serving separation and just changed my Exomag string after 3 years of shooting (FFF) to a ComfyBear string and am going to use the same technic of taking care of the string.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

bstout wrote:An interesting thread. If I don't wax the serving on my Vixen the serving is on borrowed time. Regardless it only takes about 15 minutes to replace a center serving.

There is no need to replace the string until it is worn out.
Just out of curiosity Bob, what happens to your serving :?:
1 - Wear from rail or rear insert on arrow :?:
2 - Wear from the trigger claws :?:
3 - Other :?:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
srwiles0007

serving separting

Post by srwiles0007 »

:lol: I found the same problem with only a few shots. I fixed a tool out of plactic and push the serving back into place every 30 or 40 shots and have had no prolblems with serving wearing at all. Steve :twisted:
doe pee
wabi

Post by wabi »

Just got home from my hunting buddy's house after helping him assemble his Christmas present - a new Phoenix! In the interest of seeing what happens, I talked him into not waxing his new string that came with the bow. His wife had me get the bow for him since she knows nothing of crossbows and he was so impressed with my Phoenix after he put 3 arrows in the same hole with 3 shots at 25 yards he had to have one! I gave him a half dozen GoldTips and loaned him my spare rope cocking aid, so the string should get some wear on it soon. :lol:
wabi
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

The wax is definatly softening the serving, after going so long without wax, and without wear I ended up waxing it anyways, for moisture reasons, it is already showing signs of small depressions where the trigger holds again, no damage, just impressions that were not present prior to the waxing.
There must be a way to protect the serving/string from the elements without shortening the life of the serving.
PRB

Post by PRB »

Does anyone use that serving glue or bonding agent that is applied to the string prior to serving the string ? Just wonder if it would help.
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!