Poacher or bad shot? Black eye for crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Grizzly-Papa

Poacher or bad shot? Black eye for crossbows

Post by Grizzly-Papa »

Sunday, December 31, 2006 National Post

B.C. authorities try to track down person who has been killing deer with crossbow

B.C. authorities are hunting down someone who has been shooting deer with a high-powered crossbow in a residential Nanaimo area. In the past two months, three deer have been killed or wounded, conservation officer Steve Ackles said. One deer was found dead on a resident's driveway with an arrow in its chest, another was found wandering the area with an arrow in its neck. It took two weeks for conservation officers to catch it and treat it, Mr. Ackles said. The third deer had an arrow in its left hind quarter and needed to be put down. Mr. Ackles said a private citizen and several organizations have pooled money for a reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the shooter. National Post
Life is too short to spend it indoors!
Tom

Post by Tom »

That is sad and what I see is the ANTI's playing this to their advantage. This statement:
B.C. authorities are hunting down someone who has been shooting deer with a high-powered crossbow in a residential Nanaimo area.

I feel is totally incorrect. They say 3 deer with no pass through hits in areas where a normal crossbow would have gone cleanly through, and if not, it would have dropped the deer in its track.

I would say that this was not done by a hunter bbecause I believe that they are using a bow which is much too light for hunting. I hope they catch the person or persons involved. I also hope that they start looking for the correct style bow.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
peter p

Post by peter p »

How do they know it's a high powered crossbow if they haven't caught the person responsible.
Sounds like it's someone that has something against deer.
huntman

Post by huntman »

I would amagine the only way the can say its a crossbow is from the arrows recovered from the deer, however that it no way would signfy a "high power" i'm with Tom on this one!
knobby

Post by knobby »

most likely a youngster with a 'toy' xbow
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

I agree, not a high powered crossbow. My exomag went through a shoulder bone on a deer and buried in the ground 6 inches.
TYE

Post by TYE »

shurite44 wrote:My exomag went through a shoulder bone on a deer and buried in the ground 6 inches.
Dang how hard did you throw your Exomag? :wink: :lol:
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

TYE wrote:
shurite44 wrote:My exomag went through a shoulder bone on a deer and buried in the ground 6 inches.
I had to read this twice, but I get it now.. :)
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Bad news.

Important to remember that it could also be the suggested "high-powered crossbow" employed at long or extreme ranges.

Same thing as using one too light, effectively. And not unlikely, as two of the hits were admittedly poor ... one in the neck, and another in a hindquarter.

What is certain is that this is no careful hunter, and no one like us ... and that those against hunting will twist and exploit the account to their advantage.

Two ugly examples of human nature.
Grizz
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Too bad the can't wait intill the catch the one doing it before the claim High Power crossbow or what ever!!

Bad reporting when they really do not know all the facts. :evil:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Cedrus

Post by Cedrus »

TYE wrote:
:lol: :lol: :P :lol:
wabi

Post by wabi »

knobby wrote:most likely a youngster with a 'toy' xbow
Sounds like a likely possibility.
wabi
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

Yep, the part about the bolts sticking out rules out most modern hunting xbows. Even at a longer range you get pass throughs on most deer. I also would say some kids with a target or toy xbow are doing this at close range on urban/city deer. Just a guess.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Unfortunately, whether or not it's a high-powered crossbow isn't the point to the public. The person behind this is obviously inexperienced and probably ignorant of game laws and municipal bylaws. Sadly, we'll all be painted with the same brush. Nothing worse for our sport than a deer running around with an arrow in it. That's why I stick to high percentage shots.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

When they catch this kid, they will find out that it's not a xbow at all. In a residential neighborhood the deer are not scared. In Galax, VA. a woman complained about the deer in the city limits and said she was having to chase them out of her yard by hitting them with a broom. It would not take a long distance shot . . . probably shot from 10 feet away with toy archery equipment, except for the arrow/bolt. It's a kid . . .that would explain a lot of things . . .probably a 10 year old boy. AT least that's the age I might have tried something like that with my BB gun! :lol:

The reporter in this case is trying to make a bigger story. Probably doesn't know a thing about hunting or weapons.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen