NAP Quick Spin...Update

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

PRB wrote:Thanks Pydpiper. Was any of your testing done with any broadheads ?
That's what my final goal will be at a later date.
Yes, half of my shots did include broadheads, I only did that to see if they would wander off on me, due to broadheads, not the vanes.
I have never noticed a difference in broadhead flight once I learned how to balance my bolts. Between your original post and this one others will say the same.
My advice, is stay away from the Quick Spins unless your only goal is aesthetics, and you have a few extra bucks to spend. Their claim to spin the bolt 300% faster is relative to the fact they cost 300% more.

You should not have to compensate for a broadhead if it is balanced well, I have a new batch of Slick Tricks ready for battle, but I have yet to find a reason to veer from the Wasps that came with my bow, besides trashing half of them learning what I am saying. Taking 5 minutes to properly install and balance a broadhead is far easier than hoping for accuracy.
PRB

Post by PRB »

Thanks for the help Pydpiper. I had not necessarily planned on staying with the Quick Spins and I only bought the smallest quantity I could which wass 12 vanes. I also have 12-1.5 inch Blazer Vanes.
I proved one thing so far to myself and that is my bolt seems to maintain its control and accuracy with the shorter, lower profile, and stiff vanes.
I enjoy testing different things when Im lucky enough to get the time. Im not suggesting to anyone what they should or shouldnt use this or any other like this . I like trying it and then posting the results. If it should help someone then that is well worth it as well.
Now for my next step to get some turkey feathers and a chopper or whatever theyre called and try some short low profile turkey feathers 8)
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Well one thing about it PRB .... You should have no trouble finding some TURKEY feathers .... :twisted:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
PRB

Post by PRB »

Like I said before. Who are you calling a turkey ? Are you calling me a turkey ? Who are you calling a turkey ? Are you calling me a turkey ?
:twisted: At least my feathers are young and fresh rather than old worn and tattered :cry: :cry: Now if dont have something nice to say then dont say nothing at all :shock:
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Ahhh I see ya still have a little spunk in ya!! That's good ! And I did in no way call ya a TURKEY .... I stated you should have no pooblem finding some TURKEY feathers "TURKEY" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Big John

update

Post by Big John »

Well here is my take on this:

I try many new products and toys that come out and test all.
I rarely take the opinions of some over actual tests by myself.
Otherwise what "fun" is there in buying only what is given by salespeople and putting your stuff away until hunting time. I enjoy testing new stuff almost as much as Hunting. Sure some things are good already, and cost less, and work fine. But what about playing with new stuff just to see what happens and if something better comes of it, Great. So what if some things cost more, look at the varying prices of firearms. They all still work, and kill just as dead. I like having things that look different and stand out from the norm. I will make , buy , and test, all sorts of things to get what I like, and know for a fact how it performs from 'my' own trials.
Then post some of the results for others to read and see if there is something that can be changed or modified and re-test, more fun again, I believe this is how it's supposed to go isn't it?
Anyway, try some Quick spins, new Broad Heads, different bolts and weights, and see if you like something, or your performance changes, above all else you tested something new, got to practice at the same time, and had fun doing it! :)
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Ya sure have that one right JOHN!

Anyone testing a BowBug out there let me know your results please .... :D

I returned one and have kept one too play with, any help from other users would be much appreciated .... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
PRB

Post by PRB »

Another crazy thing about this is that I shoot a Vixen and my bolts might shoot a lot different from another Vixen. I have no experience with this but rather just what Ive heard.
I do know that my next bolts I do will more than likely have the brass insert like my first batch rather than these I just done regardless of fletching. I like the higher FOC. When I shot the 445 grain (brass insert) field tip next to the others I just made up then penetration was around 4 to 6 inches deeper depending on if it hit a weaker spot in the target or not. I know this was to be expected and I liked it.
Big John

qiuck spin

Post by Big John »

PRB: :) :) :) :) :)

Bet your having fun eh? :)
I am starting to build new bolts today.
I have one dozen blanks ready to go now, nothing on or in them.

The last bolts I used I tested from a tree stand twenty feet up at twenty and thirty yds. out. I like heavier bolts though. :)

The Bolts I'm talking about were:

20"in. Gold Tips Laser 11's
6"in. Bolt Wraps
4"in. Vanes (plastic dura)
Aluminium back inserts
Brass Front inserts
100 gr. WASP Hammer SST's

My speed was set on the Vari-zone at 320 fps. + a little.
They were hitting within 1" to 2" in. of the bullseye at thirty yds. without a rest from the stand. They were also sinking very heavy into the Target! :)
I changed the Heads to 125 gr. SST's, and the POI changed very little. All I did was change the Speed on the Vari-zone to a little under 320 fps. Only thing different was they went in maybe a half in. more.

I forgot to add they are Fletched at 7 deg. Straight off-set.
Last edited by Big John on Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
PRB

Post by PRB »

Sounds great John. Also sounds like your having more fun than I am because you have more blank bolts left to set up with. Thanks for the information on your experimenting. Keep up the good work.
My time is very limited and will probably be worse come this summer but I cant wait to get a scope again.
What kind of fletch jig are you using ?
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

All this sounds very interesting. Where are you getting your carbon blanks and components from? I'm in central Ontario.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

John, I am shooting almost the identical set up as you, minus the wraps, but my scope is set to closer to 280 FPS, maybe 285..
What string are you using?
Big John

quick spin

Post by Big John »

Pydpiper:

I use FFF Strings on my Crossbows. This season I have only used my Exomax. I can get 345 fps. with 360 gr. Bolts, however I do not like the light bolts. I prefer to stay around the 430 gr. + or -. They are a few fps slower, but way better KE. They also seem to be a bit quieter coming out.
325 fps with heavier bolts is quite fast anyway. :)
To give you a bit of a picture, I wanted to see how good they shot at small game from the stand at 35 yds. (ranged) I took out a big water Rat the other day. Right through the Rat, into the ground about 1"in. sticking out, only nicked one blade on the WASP SST'. Everything else still good.
This from 20 ft. up. Looked pretty small in the leaf litter, maybe small Squirel size.

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Thre would be the difference then, I am using an Exocet with the standard string..
325 FPS is fast with a heavy bolt, that rat didn't stand a chance. :D
Big John

quick spin

Post by Big John »

Okay PRB and Pydpiper:

Just finished fletching a batch of bolts.

20"in. Gold Tips
7"in. Wraps
4"in. Nap Quick spins at 4 deg. straight off-set right
Aluminium back inserts
Brass front inserts
100 gr. Heads

They are about 14% to 15% FOC.

I will test them very soon and post about them. Maybe this weekend. :)

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]