Pure plain stupidity that killed him

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

GaryL's suggestion that we carefully read what we've written before posting is a good one; a little self-review and editing, if necessary, is always a healthy thing.

Since we're all friends here, I think we can do a good job of helping each other realize when one of us is out of line, and I think we can do it in as well-intentioned gentlemen ... and without generating discord. I believe the above posts are good examples of that.

Having said so, I think the disapproved comments have drawn enough censure to get the point across. Let's extend the benefit of the doubt, respectfully nudge one another toward conduct that helps and heals, and show the watching world that we watch ourselves.

No doubt we've all said something we regret at sometime.
Grizz
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Its nice to know that a 69 year old fella was hunting..I hope I can hunt at 69...I will have to say NOW do to his oversight I will be safer in the tree. Lowering and raising my weapons I will double check and be sure..My heart felt sympathys go out to him and his loved ones....Lets all try to learn something from this and in a way his death will not be in vain....

FYI those previous post can still be edited for content....They should be!
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
buckeye

Post by buckeye »

Very sad story. Unfortuantly when we hunt big game we are carrying an instrument that is very efficient at killing and all it takes is one moment of carelessness or a silly mistake and your life or someone elses life is over. Please everyone, be very careful out there. My condolences to this mans family. What a shame.
BUCKEYE

A man who makes no mistakes usually doesn't make anything at all.
saxman

Post by saxman »

Thats very sad to hear. I will pray for him and his family that they find healing.
Good idea enormous I will do that as well.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Mountain Man

Post by Mountain Man »

My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family/friends.

Mountain Man
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

As Crossbows grow more and more in popularity, more and more folks are taking them up and without proper training. A lot of folks don't know about this forum or how we stress safety first. So we are going to hear more and more about tragic accidents. It's a sad situation when folks don't realize how easily an accident can occur with any new weapon.
I wish there was a course that had to be taken before you can go on a hunt with a crossbow. The market place is only after the sale of the product, not you, just your money. We should not make light of a sad situation. :(
Charlie Booze

Post by Charlie Booze »

Condolence to the Family, and Friends.
UncleGrandpa

Post by UncleGrandpa »

Ladies and Gentlemen.......Such a tragic thing to happen to anyone......Please, let's all beware that at all times we should practice SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY...........NO EXCEPTIONS
Life is what you make it
warpipe

Post by warpipe »

An example of how fast tragic event's can unfold while doing something we consider safe/relaxing. Prayer's to this man's family and friend's and hope that a tragedy like this never occur's again.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I see DrDan edited his post and removed the comment so many thought inappropriate. I think that was the right thing to do, and I think it was a commendable step to take. I appreciate it. It is an easy thing to write something careless and send it off without really thinking of it's impact; it isn't so easy to see that many disapprove and then take the step of correcting what you said. I applaud DrDan for doing that.

No doubt he was typing faster than he was thinking, as we all do sometimes. I feel sure Ch312 didn't really intend to blow off a man's death either. Poor judgment doesn't necessarily indicate bad motive. Good guys say bad things sometimes. Any of us might have offended in the same way, and probably have in the past.

The update about the man's heart attack during the incident only demonstates the need for us all to be careful about our judgments, and with what we have to say about any situation.

Thanks for changing what you wrote, DrDan! :)
Grizz
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Yes DrDan thanks much for changing your post and as Grizzly Adam stated a commendable step to take. I appreciate it.

A death in a Family either by accident or Blunder is hard for their family and friends, and as is the case with most reported things on a forum all the story is not known for a while, sometimes the whole story is never known.

At times like that/this the family is still in serious need of support and not rude or funny comments irregardless how the accident or blunder happened, and believe it or not could happen too one of us!!

All remember safty at all times, however one never knows when a Heart Attack or stroke may happen, YOUNG OR OLD!
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Tom

Post by Tom »

I agree with the above few statements about the correcting the statments made. I did not feel that they were actually made to tarnish this individual personally, but we all know that general statements can be interpited a way other then intended.

The revealing of the heart attack issue sure changes the icident and adds some light on the situation. I bet he felt the ned to hurry and did not really think 100% about saftey.

When I am up in a treestand, as I said before, I pull my crossbow up into the tree by the stock so the rail is always pointing towards the earth (even though it is unloaded). Then, when I am sitting in the stand hunting, I leave the pull string tied around the stock (shortened to about half or 2/3 distance) just incase something happens and the bows drops, it will be stopped before it would hit the ground. It will also point the bow towards the ground when it is stopped as well, not having it pointing in a different dirrection when it hits the ground.

I know many will think that leaving the string on is totally unnecessary but I have heard of 3 different people (one had left the pull string tied on) had the bow slip from their grip. One lost it when he tried to remove it from a hanger, another bumped it when it was sitting on a shooting rail and the third fell asleep, just for a second (this is the one still tied) and it slipped off his lap far enough he could not grab it. One of the guys told me that when the bow hit the ground, butt first, the arrow was pointing right at him. He also said that he was scared when the bow was falling, but when it struck the ground and the arrow pointing at him, he could not describe the feeling, he was almost sick. He packed up and went home, thankfull that he dodged a bullit.

Like I said before:
Please people, lets all get into SAFE HABBITS all the time. And if we see someone doing something which is not safe, lets point it out politely as to what might happen.

Saftey First
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

What a sad & tragic accident! So sorry to read about the autopsy findings as well.

One can never be "paranoid" enough about safety when dealing with a deadly weapon.

Thanks to a tip from someone on this board I've started using a rubber band around the stock to secure the safety on my bow. I've noticed that when carrying my bow through the woods it's pretty easy for the safety to come off. Now that rubber band stays on until I'm seated and ready to hunt.
TYE

Post by TYE »

Goes to show you that the little things you can do, can go a long way.

Think safety first guys!
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

When I was a Hunting Education instructor for Indiana I told my students one thing that I wanted them to remember above all else that we tried to pass onto them.

"A moment's carelessness can cost you a lifetime of grief."

Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]