BEST 2216 SET UP FOR EXOCET

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

lucky strike

BEST 2216 SET UP FOR EXOCET

Post by lucky strike »

WHAT IN YOUR OPINION IS THE BEST SET UP FOR A 2216 20" bolt?
IE: SHAFT, INSERTS, VANES OR FEATHERS? ,OFFSET OR HELICAL?, FOC AND WEIGHT , STYLE AND BRAND OF HEADS ??
SEEMS LIKE WERE ALL SHOOTING THE SAME XBOWS (EXOCET 200
OR 165) BUT I HAVE BEEN SEEING SO MANY COMBINATIONS
THAT IT GETS CONFUSING.
THANKS ,LS
Tom

Post by Tom »

lucky strike ...... the great thing about excalibur crossbows is that they are very foregiving. You have the choice of many different arrow / hunting head combo's and still have the "robinhood accuracy" that you can expect from an excalibur crossbow.

I always recomend the arrows that excalibur sells. They have tested them and produced them because they work, but in reality, many different setups will work. The only thing that will matter is what you prefur or like. Pinpoint accuracy can't really be shot any more accurately and heavier arrow/head combos will give you more KE, but for most animals the lighter arrow/heads will have more KE than you need.

Again the reason there is such a variety in arrow/head combos is becasue they all work.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I have been shooting the carbons with brass inserts all along, I switched to brass for the weight, and thus a slightly quieter shot..
Today I bought the 2216's you are speaking of, there was no difference in accuracy with them, but I switched to a 4" vane instead of the 5" that come on them. In doing so I realized the 2216's come with a plastic nock, I had to change them so they would fit in my fletcher, now they have aluminum.
It is windy tonight, and my accuracy did not change at all, what I did notice is the crossbow is louder with the lighter arrows, so I may end up switching the 2216's to a brass insert too. The difference in POI is about 5-6 inches higher n a 50 yard shot, that is a good indicator the 2216's are moving along very quickly without the added weight, at least to me.

*EDIT* The 2216's I am refering to were branded "Excalibur".
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

The most common aluminum shaft used is made by Easton ( the old Excalibur 2117 shaft was I am sure ). I have used 2216's that had been specifically made as crossbow shafts and cut down 2216's from my vertical bow ( easton shafts, gamegetters, xx75 and xx78 's ) All have shot well.

The other components have been a mixed bag . For inserts- aluminum. On the rear of the arrow 2 inch Bohning Blazer vanes , 4 inch duravanes , or 4 inch Gateway Feather ( I apply the feathers with a tape made by Bohning.) All Feathers or vanes have a helical fletch.

Broadheads have been expandables and fixed blade. Rocket Sidewinder 100gr. with 1.5 inch cut and Wasp Boss 4 blade 100gr. Both of these heads have worked very well for me.
golfcat

Post by golfcat »

Is there anywhere online that carries the brass inserts for the 2216s? I've been looking around and haven't stumbled across them yet.

Roger