Deer done, now on to Coyotes!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Wes,
Proceed with caution - hunting the hunters is addictive, but a great challenge. We are having a warm winter so fur is no good down here - in fact I was going to go to Maine for bobcat hunting and no snow and 50 degrees up there so that's shot too. I am envious of the Northerners.

On www.predetormastersforums.com you won't have to wade through a bunch of them limp-wristed prayer boys patting each other on the backs. It's a true hunting forum.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you get started making your pile of coyote pelts in the garage. I also have a furrier in Minnesota who can make jackets, hats, coats, etc. if you decide not to sell your hides. I got two a week ago and they hadn't even blown their coats yet - I wonder if it is ever going to get cold here again. Maybe in February.

Oh well, I just got my sow bear rug back from taxidermist and I'm savoring that hunt. She has beautiful chocolate throughout the muzzle and a white blaze on the chest.

DrDan
kev

Post by kev »

I'm getting geared up now. I use a Moss. 935 with 3 1/2" #4 Buck at night.
Probably AR15 Varmint or 22-250 in the daytime. Most of my hunting will by after work by myself around 1:00 AM. with a J.S. Prey Master. We could use some snow here, makes night time hunt'n easier.
Sierra

Post by Sierra »

DrDan wrote:Wes,
Proceed with caution - hunting the hunters is addictive, but a great challenge. We are having a warm winter so fur is no good down here - in fact I was going to go to Maine for bobcat hunting and no snow and 50 degrees up there so that's shot too. I am envious of the Northerners.

On www.predetormastersforums.com you won't have to wade through a bunch of them limp-wristed prayer boys patting each other on the backs. It's a true hunting forum.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you get started making your pile of coyote pelts in the garage. I also have a furrier in Minnesota who can make jackets, hats, coats, etc. if you decide not to sell your hides. I got two a week ago and they hadn't even blown their coats yet - I wonder if it is ever going to get cold here again. Maybe in February.

Oh well, I just got my sow bear rug back from taxidermist and I'm savoring that hunt. She has beautiful chocolate throughout the muzzle and a white blaze on the chest.

DrDan
Thanks so much for the links and help Dan.

Last spring I purchased a few pred calls and bought a few DVDs to try to learn how to get them song dogs in close. No success yet. I shoot a 222 Remington. I saw a huge Yote the last day of our ML season as two of my deer hunting buddies did one last drive.

Hearing the yotes at night gives me a very eery feeling. I would like to raise some poultry but not with those yotes around. They come right up into the yard after the sun goes down. Set my house dogs crazy.
2006 Exocet 200
3x ProView Scope
85 grain NAP Thunderhead
Wolverine Hunter 20" CrossBolts
Original Stock String
Bolt Speed 320 fps
Cedrus

Post by Cedrus »

DrDan wrote:Wes,

DrDan
:lol: :wink:

I'll be dusting off the .222 Sako Vixen very soon too. 8) Thanks for the link DrDan. It got my blood pumping for some yote hunting.
Can't ice fish so I might as well spend some quality time in the woods.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ub ... hreads.php
duber

Post by duber »

Thanks again DrDan

Here in Ontario we can't sell the pelts with out a trappers permit and we can't hunt them at night.I want a couple pelts for myself anyways and I know a trapper who could use the extra pelts (if I'm sucessful).I would like to get a pelt tanned and put it on a strecher to hang on the wall.I was reading a post on the link you gave me on how to tan a pelt myself.Seems like a lot of work but it would be rewarding to do it myself.My grandfather use to tan deer hides to use as seat covers in his old truck.Sure made for a warm but on those cold mornings :lol: .My grandfather has been gone for a few years now and this kind of stuff keeps my conected to him.He trapped , skinned and tanned enough enough muskrats one winter to make my grandmother a 3/4 lenght fur coat.He was 80 years old at the time :shock: .

Well enough rambling.I have a question for you.Since I am just getting into this and don't have 222 or something in the gun safe could I use the .308 with a light grain bullet and have much left to skin?I think I can buy right down to a 140 grain bullet.I will be on the look out for a more suitable rifle in the future.

TTFN Wes
175 Exocet
Vari-Zone scope
Gold Tip Laser 2's
100 grain Wasp Boss
Normous

Post by Normous »

Duber,
Can you find Full Metal Jacket for the 308. One shot in the head should do the trick :D
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Wes,
Yes there should be no problem with a 308 I love that caliber! I believe you can get a 110 grain bullet in 30 caliber. By the way that is a nice looking bear mount you have. Looks like my sow from this past year.

Yes Grandpaws are wonderful. All of a sudden I find myself as a grandpaw. I been having a ball being my 7 year old grandson's hero and teaching him how to shoot 22 and he goes pheasant hunting with me. He's still a little young for sitting quiet and motionslees for hours so I haven't taken him on bear or deer hunts.

I love the old timers. I'm reading all of Jeff Coopers books right now and just love it. Another Country and Ride Well, Shoot Straight and Tell the Truth are two of them. I also read all Elmer Keith's stuff. I like to go into the dream world of how things used to be when I was a little kid.

Good luck getting some pelts.

DrDan
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Cedrus

I have a Sako Forrester in 243 and it is one of my favorite rifles. Just beautiful and when I first got it the darn thing was hitting all over the paper. I spend three hours with J&B cleaner and probably 100 patches and finally got all the copper fouling out. Took it back to the range and it will do 3/4" groups at 100 yards all day long. I also like action - it is kind of an offshoot from the Mauser which is my favorite for dangerous game. Also has an excellent trigger pull.

I always wanted a 222, but I am gun poor so I probably never get one. I know one thing... the 222 is legendary for accuracy and a Sako should be the best.

My latest gun project is a Winchester 1886 Model 45-70 lever gun. I traded a $1200 shotgun for it. Actually it was made in 1884 and is in fine mechanical condition. I just sent it to Doug Turnbull for total restoration with color case hardened receiver, lever, hammer and crescent buttplate. Barrel wil be carbon blued as was the original and having it restocked with 3X fancy walnut and finished in the old Winchester Orange color. I have a picture of what it will look like right here. http://www.turnbullrestoration.com/dtrs ... product=81 He wants $4500 for the restoration, but as you can see they sell for $14,000 when done. He is the very best there is at restorations so he is high demand. He wants 20% down and it will take over a year before it is done so I can scrimp and get the down payment up to him so it gets started. Probably have to remortgage the house when it is done but screw it - yah only go around once! I want to hang it on my bedroom wall so when I wake up everyday it is the first thing I feast my eyes on. Just beautiful!!!

Sorry to get spaced off, but in addition to fine crossbows I also love rifles and shotguns. Kinda gave up on handguns since I shoot them so poorly. I only have a Colt Government Model in 45 all tricked out and a Taurus Tracker in 41 Mag as a bear backup gun. A man just has to love guns and bows!

So anyhow enjoy the Sako and "never" sell or trade it!

DrDan
Cedrus

Post by Cedrus »

Hi Dr.Dan, just saw your last reply on this thread. Yah, I love my Sako. It has a Bofors Steel Bull barrel and is capable of shooting a fly off a sh!t wagon at 300 pesos (paces). :wink: :lol: Will never part with it.
Last edited by Cedrus on Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tracer

Post by tracer »

Thanks very much for the links Dr.Dan. Nice shooting Cedrus. You really smoked that puppy.