Is it possible my scope has an intermittent problem?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Is it possible my scope has an intermittent problem?

Post by Pydpiper »

It seems every now and then I have to make a pretty serious adjustment to my Vari-Zone scope, a sudden 4 clicks to realign. 2 times I recall specifically noticing a sudden change in my 20 yard shot, once 1.5" and the second 2".
I shoot the same weight of arrow all the time (except tonight, I varied 5 gr), and it does not seem to happen gradually.
Is this unheard of?
It is mounted to a Exocet 200
Thanks!
Big John

varizone

Post by Big John »

I really don't think 5 gr. would make any difference myself.
Sounds like there may be a different problem. Are you shooting from a rest and sandbags while testing this? If so, I'd be interested to know whats up.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
TYE

Post by TYE »

See if you're mounting bracket is loose.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

The 5gr was after the fact, the most recent time the scope dropped down was prior to the added weight. I was practicing on a line of black tape and was spot on from 20 to 50 yards, then suddenly I was up 1.5 inches at 20, more exaggerated at longer distances.
I took the cap off, made 3 clicks and and now it is correct again, it did the same thing a couple weeks ago.
Screws are snug on the scope, the mount is tight and lokTite was applied, I checked the simple stuff.
TYE

Post by TYE »

Nevermind, ignore my suggestion, lol. :oops:
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

It was a good suggestion TYE, and the first thing I checked, we posted at the same time. :D
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

Could this be due to adjustment of the speed ring (magnification) and not maybe setting it back precisely at 20 yards as it was ?
Just a thought.
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Any big temperatue changes from time to time, or from storing time to shooting time. I know people hunt with xcals in extreme temps one way or the other, but I also know temperature changes can flex materials.
Why ride when you can walk!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I never adjusted the speed ring, but would that even affect the 20 yard POI? Seems the whole scope uses the cross hairs as center and the other ranges change with adjustment. I don't know for sure, but that's the impression I was under.
awshucks

v-zone

Post by awshucks »

David: Try something goofy here. loosen the screws on the caps on the rings and retighten them just a tad past snug. Also, one of my V-zone or two, lol, has "mushy feeling" adjustments. They don't always "click" into a notch, so try to feel the click when you make an adj. Also, tapping on the scope caps w/ handle of a screwdriver lighty several times helps sometimes.
"Eze 18:21"
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Dan, I will try loosening the caps and re tightening, it is certainly worth a try.
I have been tapping the scope after each adjustment, you mentioned that a while back as a precaution and I have been doing it ever since.. I can feel when it makes a positive "click" and have developed a bit of a feel for it, however, I still tap it to make sure the adjustment takes.
It is going out farther than a click or two, that is the part that makes me nervous.
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

I know your bow is relatively new... are you only seeing the arrow drop down vertically? If so, could your string just be stretching?
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

The bow is only a couple months old, but now has shot well over 1000 arrows. This morning when I got up at sun rise I went out and started shooting, first shot was now off 2 inches again. (opposite way)
Today alone I shot almost 200 arrows, the thing is fine tuned again at every yardage available in the scope. I have to head to work for a bit and when I get home I will try again, just to see what happens.
Two times during my shooting today I had to make what I consider extreme adjustments, each time I would grab the scope and try to move it, tap the front with my palm, shoot again, tap the back with my palm and shoot again, I have tried every variable I can think of.
I am sighting in at 20 yards to a 1" dot, when I get it right 6 times I move back and try the other yardages, make my dial adjustments and move back to 20 yards.
As of right now, no wind I am grouping 2-3" at 40 yards, 3" at 50 consistently. I am paying very close attention to my settings and will verify when I get back home.
My stomach muscles are killing me. :wink:
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Are you using a rope cocker? Sounds like it's going back and forth. Possible cocking issue? Even when using the rope, it can be pulled off by strong arming one side. You have your string marked?
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Nevermind . . .after reading again, you have a up/down issue. Might be getting some build-up on the rail?
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen