Best Flashlight for Tracking?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

supermagnum

flashlight

Post by supermagnum »

Mountain Man wrote:Thanks for the quick responses!

I received the MaxLife 369 Tripod (from Canadian Tire) for Xmas and wasn't sure whether to keep it or not. You can use it with either 1, 3, or 6 LEDs.

I guess if LED is the way to go I'll give it a try!

Thanks,

Mountain Man
Keep it :!: great for the ground when you have to field dress in the dark.
HUNT HARD, HUNT SAFE!
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

flashlights are great and all, so is an old Coleman lantern or blood light (The Gerber Blood tracking light didn't work well for me). Once I have found my blood trail in the dark I mark it with illumitacks and I can easily see the line of travel of the animal as well as always know where the last blood was without trying to search all over again for the blood I just found. There actually kinda like mini flashlights. I also use the green illumitacks to get to my stand in the morning without using a flashlight by wearing a green illumitack on my hat or pants pocket. The green illumitack provides just just enough light if you know where your going and it dosent spook game. I also put the green ones up sometimes to mark a new stand location earlier in the day and follow the lights in the next morning right to my set up without a flashlight. Really cool!
The Headhunter
taxman

flashlights

Post by taxman »

i have (3) browning oddesy led flashlights. i have not changed a battery in 4 years. i think they said it has a 7500 hr life. the reason i have 3 is they are all different sizes.
Mountain Man

Post by Mountain Man »

I usually field dress using my headlamp with a coleman lantern nearby.

I was looking for the best flashlight to use on my hands and knees to search for those tiny drops of blood.

There is a new flashlight at Cabelas which looks pretty nice (two 3-watt Luxeon LEDs and 150 lumens). Has anyone had any experience with this one?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... &noImage=0

Thanks for all the replies so far!

Mountain Man
supermagnum

flashlight

Post by supermagnum »

Digger wrote:I use this nine LED bulb flashlight, It throws a good beam of light and you can insert a colored filter in front of the bubs.

who makes this one with interchangable filters :?:
HUNT HARD, HUNT SAFE!
A.W

Re: flashlight

Post by A.W »

supermagnum wrote:
Digger wrote:I use this nine LED bulb flashlight, It throws a good beam of light and you can insert a colored filter in front of the bubs.

who makes this one with interchangable filters :?:
I'm not sure if that tripod light is intense enough for what you are looking for. I have one of these and it's bright and has a good tight beam. It comes with a belt holster.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/produ ... earch=true

I should also say that depending on what brand you get depends on where the on/off switch is on the side or on the battery cap. I bought my light at Home Depot. (switch on the battery cap)

This one is brighter.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/produ ... earch=true
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Had to look in my vest to see what I am using this year. :lol:
It's a Dorcy #41-4281 with a 1 watt luxeon LED and uses 3 - AAA batteries. I bought it at WalMart this past summer and it is probably the best tracking light I've ever owned. Small, but a very bright light that shows blood well. Ran it for 4 or 5 hours one night and the batteries were still going strong.
wabi
Bow Life

Post by Bow Life »

hey mountain man, i use a similar light form cabellas and it works well, it has more bulbs then that one, i think it was an older model but is generally the same. emits a very bright light that shows up blood real well. also the batteries are fairly cheep and if you buy quality batteries they last a long time. havent had to replace mine yet:)
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser 2 Graphite Bolts
100 Wasp BroadHeads

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving.
Bow Life

Post by Bow Life »

Mountain man i stand corrected, i just looked at my flashlight and well it is that exact one you posted a pic of. Kinda ashamed i didnt even know my own light :oops: ... but yes it is a very good light and i would suggest it for tracking, good battery life, very bright and blood shows up well on leaves and such.
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser 2 Graphite Bolts
100 Wasp BroadHeads

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving.
Mountain Man

Post by Mountain Man »

Thanks for checking Bow Life!

I was hoping that one of the forum members could vouch for it before I put in my order!

This forum is great!

Thanks again,

Mountain Man
Vince

Post by Vince »

The luxeon LED's manufactured by Lumileds is the brightest LED technology available anywhere.
They're using this LED technology to light up operating tables!!!!

I bought a 3 watt Luxeon White LED flashlight (they're not cheap) and at it's lOW light setting is amazing for blood tracking in the dark.
Even dry blood gives off a sheen that is easy to follow.
In the HIGH setting, it really lights up the woods especially when you get turned-around or are trying to find a land mark etc.
It's got two other settings (SOS and Safety Strobe) and the Safety Strobe is a great way to communicate your blind location to other duck hunters in the area.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Vince,

Where do you get that light and how much is it?
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Just bought a $5 light at Giant Tiger that has 12 (!) LEDs and is much more effective than my $20 LED flashlight from CT. Haven't used it for hunting yet though.
A.W

Post by A.W »

Anybody try these in their maglite?

http://www.flash-lights.com/product_inf ... e-C-D.html
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.