Let's talk Turkey!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Makomachine

Post by Makomachine »

Highlander wrote:Bait pile, I'd like to hear more more about your thoughts on shot placement and when you shoot. Do you wait till he's displaying and the fan is obstructing his view?
I've been told the best bow shot is when they are side profiled. You follow their legs up their body and aim at the base of the legs. Apparently this breaks them down quickly and keeps you in the vitals. The upper part of a turkey is a void until you get to that head/neck. I'm just relaying what I've been told - so someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Excalibur Phoenix
Vari-Zone Scope
Steddy Eddy
Gold Tip LII / Blazer vanes / Tracer Nock / Slick Trick BH
rutman

Post by rutman »

I used the wasp jak hammers and a zwickey scorpio on a gobbler and it worked awesome. It broke the close wing bone, took out the lungs and spine and all the muscle off the othe wing. Dropped in his tracks, but the weird thing is it broke my shaft almost centre. The pieces were on both sides of the bird. When you shoot a turkey, gun or bow, you should run to it immediately to prevent it from getting away. If it's bow shot be very careful not to get cut with the broadhead, not to mention what the spurs will do.
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
duber

Post by duber »

You are right on rutman , after you shoot get to that bird as quick as you can no matter what you are using.My first turkey was shot 15 yards out with a 12 gauge right in the kill zone(head-neck area) and he rolled over when I shot him so I was gathering up my stuff and I heard this noise behind me I turned around to see my turkey flying away :shock: .He took off across a plowed field so I took off running after him , fell face first in the mud a couple times and lost a boot in the mud.I wiegh 280 pounds so running is not my strong point.If someone was videotapping the hunt we could have made $10,000 on americas funnyest videos.Luckaly he dropped dead before he hit the fenceline :D cause I wasn't even close to keeping up with him.When I finally got to him I was coverd in mud and only wearing one boot :lol: :lol: .It was worth it thow he was 24 pounds with a 11 inch beard.
175 Exocet
Vari-Zone scope
Gold Tip Laser 2's
100 grain Wasp Boss
rutman

Post by rutman »

Congrats on the retrieval. Quite a few of those take off never to be seen again. They are really hard to find in the bush once the leaves are on. I helped a young hunter look for one he shot once and he wasn't so lucky. Also a 12 ga. at point blank, hit but not dead.
rutman
paradox
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
TYE

Post by TYE »

I think I'm going to cheat this year.

Gonna use my 12 gauge single shot.
Makomachine

Post by Makomachine »

TYE wrote:I think I'm going to cheat this year.

Tye - Shotgun isn't cheating - knocking them dead "clean" is what counts! I just have an itch to try them with a xbow - might end up taking one with each this year. (fingers crossed)
Excalibur Phoenix
Vari-Zone Scope
Steddy Eddy
Gold Tip LII / Blazer vanes / Tracer Nock / Slick Trick BH
TYE

Post by TYE »

Makomachine wrote:

Tye - Shotgun isn't cheating - knocking them dead "clean" is what counts! I just have an itch to try them with a xbow - might end up taking one with each this year. (fingers crossed)
I really want to get a turkey, so first try will be shotgun, then the Phoenix. :)
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Makomachine wrote:

Cheating? Hardly. I have to say that I use my bow for deer because it extends the season, not for any humane reasons. If I can use a gun I will - for turkey it sure sounds like it could make for a more humane kill.
A.W

Post by A.W »

With so many coyotes around this year will this havoc with the turkey population?

Last year I found a spot where the coyotes had taken two turkeys to eat.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Crunch

Post by Crunch »

I seem to recall that the base of the wing or up the anus , (now don't be rude :lol: ) are the best bow shots.

crunch
rutman

Post by rutman »

Coyotes, get a few but the turkey will prevail. They are an amazing survivor unless we have a depression that lasts forever. Then they are in deep do do.
rutman
paradox
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
spitfire125

Post by spitfire125 »

somebody posted a site on here last spring about a broad head called the gillatine. ill ry to find it
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

The base of the beard (Front Shot)
The base of the Wing (Side Shot)
The Base of the Tail Feathers (Back Shot)
Stand Shooting (Middle of back)
and the best of all Head/Neck shot (Hit or Miss) you got the bird if contact is made...
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

ADRIAN HARE just described shot placement perfectly, I like the back shot best as it immobilzes the bird quickly.ROCKY CRAWFORD a top bowhuter and guide in ONT. recomends using the widest cutting expandible you can find,and using a popup blind.one can go to any decent archery shop and pick up turkey videos PRIMOS makes excellent instructionals.
duber

Post by duber »

I will use the 12 gauge on the days I can and save the xbow for Sundays.
175 Exocet
Vari-Zone scope
Gold Tip Laser 2's
100 grain Wasp Boss