Treestand or a blind? what do you prefer?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

northbaydude

Treestand or a blind? what do you prefer?

Post by northbaydude »

Hey guys another carzy question..... what is the best way to hunt deer from ... a treestand or a blind? or any other way?... what do you guys use and find most effective in getting that buck that we all want?
Northbaydude
Looking for hunting groups and/or frineds in North Bay Ontario area
TYE

Post by TYE »

I had a post on this, I'll see if I can dig it up for ya :)
TYE

Post by TYE »

sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

The treestand is probably more effective, because of the wind issue and deer rarely look up. I hunt from the ground . . .mainly stalk for the challange/exercise and I'm scared. Too many people falling out of trees . . .I think the squirrrels are pushing them out. :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
TYE

Post by TYE »

sumner4991 wrote:I think the squirrrels are pushing them out. :lol:
wabi

Post by wabi »

It really depends a lot on where you're hunting and how you like to hunt. A treestand offers several advantages when it comes to view & scent dispersal, but a blind often offers more choice of location.
I use both, and would hate to have to make a decision of which one to pick if only one were available. Since I started using both my kill ratio is probably pretty close for both methods. This year I've killed one deer from eash, but I'll probably spend the rest of the season in the blind where it's warm(er) and dry. :wink:
wabi
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

I agree with Wabi, depends. I have both a climber and a blind.

I tend to use the blind in the morning and the climber in the evening. I usually use the blind when it is raining or windy and cold.

I am new at this though. I like to stalk also. I usually do that around midday after I set in the blind for a while. Nice to have variety, keeps you interested when you have not seen one for a long time.

And sometimes it is just nice to be a little more comfortable like when it is cold and you are hunting over bait or an ambush point.
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

I've used them both over the past three years. I've taken three deer from the ground, and one from a hang on stand. I find the ground blind easier to use, and easier to sit in for long periods of time, but I get the most enjoyment from being in the trees. There's just something about gazing down on a Missouri Ozark hillside on a Fall morning that makes me smile.
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

That is funny about the squirrels. About 8 weeks ago I had a squirrel get real close to me and I did not move so he almost jumped on me in my stand. Then he ran right above me on a fork, about 5 feet above my head and just sort of hung there staring at me, LOL.

But he did not make any noises and give me away, I thought that was nice of him. Really funny, I like watching those squirrels, they are comical.
Country

Post by Country »

It all comes down to hunting style, objective, and the terrain. I hunt for the bigger bucks, 8/10 points or better. Just sitting on a game trail won't accomplish much. Sure you'll see deer but it doesn't gaurentee you'll see a big one. I still hunt until I jump a nice one and then try to fiqure out its territory and movement. Big old deer are masters at working the wind currents and can be very tough to hunt. Your choice of ground blind or tree stand is determined by your best guess of the optimal ambush point. I have had some monsters that refused to take one step forward if the wind wasn't in their face. They'd leave their feeding area just before sun up and lie in a thicket until the morning thermals changed before moving on to their bedding area. I think these deer are the most likely candidates to become nocturnal once the pressure gets started. If you find a deer that relys heavily on the breeze, note which way the current is generally going. Watch the weather and when you finally get that nor easter or what ever that changes the wind direction, go for it. By the way - Still hunting or stalking has produced 10 times more deer for me then sitting in a blind or tree stand.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Treestand..

Blind for turkeys..

Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

its all about loacation locatinn I use both to great sucess, however if you use a blind it has yo be there long enough for the deer to get use to it.