Any trappers on this forum?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Any trappers on this forum?

Post by wabi »

Just curious, I don't do too much trapping but it gives me an outdoor adventure when hunting seasons are winding down. Beavers took over a stretch of creek with the landowner's tractor crossing disappearing in the backwater where I hunt this summer. He wanted them severly reduced in numbers so I agreed to try to trap a few. The weather hasn't cooperated at all, with plenty of warm rainy days resulting in flooding, but I finally decided to set a few snares yesterday. I set only 3 snares in good looking locations I could still reach if it rains, and this morning I had 2 beavers waiting on me. I re-set for tonight, but I'll probably disable the snares tomorrow morning as plenty more rain is in the forecast. :cry:
Oh, one was a young one (16#) and the other weighed 46#.
wabi
GaryL

Re: Any trappers on this forum?

Post by GaryL »

wabi wrote:Just curious, I don't do too much trapping but it gives me an outdoor adventure when hunting seasons are winding down. Beavers took over a stretch of creek with the landowner's tractor crossing disappearing in the backwater where I hunt this summer. He wanted them severly reduced in numbers so I agreed to try to trap a few. The weather hasn't cooperated at all, with plenty of warm rainy days resulting in flooding, but I finally decided to set a few snares yesterday. I set only 3 snares in good looking locations I could still reach if it rains, and this morning I had 2 beavers waiting on me. I re-set for tonight, but I'll probably disable the snares tomorrow morning as plenty more rain is in the forecast. :cry:
wabi if you will think back a couple years maybe less this type of thread was deleted :evil: (TRAPPING) caused too much bickering among the forum members and TROLLS .... :D I did at one time do a lot of trapping and still do a little, get my permit every year .... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Gary,
I wish people would take the time to find out what trapping has evolved into as far as the humane aspect or ethics are concerned. I like the snares (perhaps better called - cable restraints) because they can easily be set to be non-lethal and are easy to release non-target or non-wanted catches from. In two years of using them now I have made only one non-target catch, a grizzled old groundhog in February no less! I was able to easily restrain him with my catch pole and snip the snare cable to release him - unharmed, but somewhat out of sorts at having such close contact with me. Actually they aren't much more inhumane than having a dog on a leash if they are set properly, and they can be set to be pretty target specific.
If the Excalibur people or any disgruntled forum members complain I'll understand if Dude deletes the thread, but trapping is just like hunting. It isn't the person who takes time to learn and do it right that causes the public uproars, it's the slob!
wabi
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I "trap" for a living. I specialize in humane wildlife relocation, removing wildlife from unwanted urban areas and relocation.
navaman

Post by navaman »

i tell you what. i love eating cottontails but there are days i don't even see one. i have been seriously considerering snares. they're not that expensive but i think i'm hesitant only because i've never done it before
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

wabi: I have a stack on Fur- Fish -Game magizines so big I can't lift it. I enjoy reading anything I can get my hands on about trapping etc. Having said that I have to admit I haven't trapped since I was a boy, and then It was just rabbits and the odd opossum. It's something that has always intrested me.
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

How much do you get for a beaver pelt?
wabi

Post by wabi »

wabi: I have a stack on Fur- Fish -Game magizines so big I can't lift it. I enjoy reading anything I can get my hands on about trapping etc. Having said that I have to admit I haven't trapped since I was a boy, and then It was just rabbits and the odd opossum. It's something that has always intrested me.
I have most of the F-F-G magazines back into the 70's. It's one of the few outdoor magazines that I read cover to cover, then re-read the best articles.
How much do you get for a beaver pelt?
Haven't sold any yet, but the fur market is pretty good this year. I'm hoping for $10. - $15. on the carcass (I've got them in a walk-in cooler waiting on the fur buyer to stop locally). I also have a couple requests for pelts for people who want to get them tanned. I'll probably just give those away. I'm really just trapping those beaver as damage control for the landowner, but figured I might as well go after them when they were marketable. If I break even on the cost of snares, lure, gasoline to get there, etc. it's worth it for the chance to get outdoors.
wabi
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

I have never trapped Wabi, and I have nothing against it, as long as the end results are put towards making the pelts into clothing.

Its sad to see people against the fur trade, it makes for the best and warmest clothing.

Its the reason for the exploding coyote population in some of your states.

Go hard buddy, that's why God put these creatures on Earth for.

Grey Owl
Cedrus

Post by Cedrus »

Nothing wrong with trapping. It has a long and storied past. I'm all for it. It's the best way to control beavers,..and coyotes if you don't have the time to hunt them.

Heck,..Canada was built on the beaver.
huntman

Re: Any trappers on this forum?

Post by huntman »

GaryL wrote:
wabi wrote:Just curious, I don't do too much trapping but it gives me an outdoor adventure when hunting seasons are winding down. Beavers took over a stretch of creek with the landowner's tractor crossing disappearing in the backwater where I hunt this summer. He wanted them severly reduced in numbers so I agreed to try to trap a few. The weather hasn't cooperated at all, with plenty of warm rainy days resulting in flooding, but I finally decided to set a few snares yesterday. I set only 3 snares in good looking locations I could still reach if it rains, and this morning I had 2 beavers waiting on me. I re-set for tonight, but I'll probably disable the snares tomorrow morning as plenty more rain is in the forecast. :cry:
wabi if you will think back a couple years maybe less this type of thread was deleted :evil: (TRAPPING) caused too much bickering among the forum members and TROLLS .... :D I did at one time do a lot of trapping and still do a little, get my permit every year .... :D
However doesnt like the topic of trapping should just move on Gary!! I dont know anything about it but at the same time have nothing against in! Would love to learn more!
BryanOney

Trapping

Post by BryanOney »

When I was single I did a ton of trapping. Now that I am married with kids I do not get out as much. I caught a few coon and muskrats around x-mas, but have since pulled my traps. There are not nearly as many muskrats in this area as there used to be. There are a ton of coon. There are no beaver in this area yet. There are now about 3 coyote for every one red fox. I miss catching those red fox. My favorite animal to catch is a mink. Sorry for rambling. Got a bit nostolgic.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Been a little flooded where I'm trapping the beaver, but I did manage to get another one this morning.
I'm selling these to a local buyer who prefers to buy them unskinned and skins them himself. He can get better prices if the pelt is in top condition, and most people (me included) have problems with beaver. I've made a couple mink sets, but I'm waiting for my buddy who has a 4-wheeler and a desire to trap some, too. He had a flare-up with his pancreas (sp?) last week and ended up having surgery to remove his gall bladder, so it may be another week or so before he's ready to trap. This morning the rain was coming down hard and the creek was rising fast. I went back this afternoon and it was at the top of the banks. A couple of my snares were underwater!
I did sell the first two beaver, but I still don't have quite enough cash to retire. Came close to paying expenses though, so maybe this will be better than hunting deer to provide the family with food from an economic position. I'd hate to figure out what I pay a pound for venison! :lol:
He buys by the pound on beaver but he gave me a little extra because the big one was a "blanket" and had super-nice fur.
wabi
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Nice one wabi, however the boy looks a little sad :(
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
wabi

Post by wabi »

GaryL wrote:Nice one wabi, however the boy looks a little sad :(
He had a fever today and didn't get to go with me to check the traps. :wink: :roll:
wabi