Collectible antique crossbows?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Savagevervet

Collectible antique crossbows?

Post by Savagevervet »

Good evening, everyone -

My question is this: Are there any collectible antique crossbows that we, as enthusiasts, should be looking out for?

I grew up wingshooting with my father, and when ice storms knocked out the power (and thus, home security systems) across a wide swath of southern Missouri a couple of weeks ago one of my first reaction was to safeguard his collection of antique shotguns. That got me to thinking about whether there is a market in collectible antique crossbows out there.

Bear in mind that I'm not talking about a priceless 500 year-old artifact recovered from a medieval European castle. I'm just wondering if there are any crossbows made in modern times that are worth looking out for.

If the earliest such device is a vintage 1983 Bill & Kath "Relayer" then I'll keep my eyes wide open for one. If someone knows of a collectible crossbow that predates the Relayer I'd be grateful for a heads-up.

Cheers to eveyone on the forum!

The Savage Vervet
TYE

Post by TYE »

I never really realized it, but I've come to realize that you Americans are high up on this home security thing. Home security alarm systems and home security shotguns and stuff.
Bow Life

Post by Bow Life »

I agree with Tye, like im sure there are robberies arround here, but i know that at any point in time the doors are open at the neighbours house, and same can be said for my house as well (most of the time). But down there in america they really look at the security aspect. Just different from where i grew up. Nothing wrong with it, just different environment! Happy Hunting.
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser 2 Graphite Bolts
100 Wasp BroadHeads

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving.
Digger

Re: Collectible antique crossbows?

Post by Digger »

Savagevervet wrote:Good evening, everyone -

My question is this: Are there any collectible antique crossbows that we, as enthusiasts, should be looking out for?

If the earliest such device is a vintage 1983 Bill & Kath "Relayer" then I'll keep my eyes wide open for one. If someone knows of a collectible crossbow that predates the Relayer I'd be grateful for a heads-up.

Cheers to eveyone on the forum!

The Savage Vervet
There are a few Relayers about probably less than a dozen members here own own a Relayer or two.Only about 400 of them were made from "83 to '86.
If your a silver tongued devil you might persaude one of them to sell. Don't try to get Tom's Relayer, many have tried none succeeded. 8) :shock: :roll: :wink:
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

I've come to realize that you Americans are high up on this home security thing
Tye, we have heard on the forum about how mad people get when someone enters "our woods" and steals a tree stand that we may or may not have had locked to a tree. Now imagine how mad or scared you would be if someone entered "your home" and took what ever they pleased, wheather your home was locked or unlocked kind of like your tree stand. But now we are also adding personal safety versus just object safety into the picture. A little preventative medicine can go a long way. We even had a county here in Georgia that had an ordinance that every home owner should own a gun. I believe they stated at one time that county was one of the lowest crime rate counties in the state. I'm not saying we should go and arm everyone down here. But I'm not that old (35) and Georgia has definitely changed from the time that I grew up. I grew up where the doors were unlocked and you could leave your keys in the car. Not anymore! I'm not trying to start anything with the folks up North :lol: :lol: :lol: . Just trying to give a point of view from down here.
Why ride when you can walk!
A.W

Post by A.W »

TYE wrote:I never really realized it, but I've come to realize that you Americans are high up on this home security thing. Home security alarm systems and home security shotguns and stuff.
TYE. It's not just "You Americans" that are high up on home security and alarm systems. It's everyone and it's not just for theft.

I've taken a few reports where somebody broke into a citizen's house and trashed it and I mean trashed.....Just about all the walls had been smashed. Artwork, family pictures, furniture, carpets. You name it.

Even had a couple where the offenders urinated and defecated on the owners sofa, bed etc.

At least in the States you are permitted, by law, to protect your property.

No where in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms does it say that we are allowed to own property so how can we protect it by law?
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
franklinm

Post by franklinm »

No where in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms does it say that we are allowed to own property so how can we protect it by law?

Wow , That is some news .
I`am like groundpounder just older , here we use to never lock a door , car or house , but time has change things .
I think the younger age has found that stealing things is the fasted way to get drugs .
None of us older guys new what drugs was .
Till I joined the navy I never new that people has sex other than man & women .
of course I was raised kind of back in the stick`s .
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

I don't think its worth anything but i have a old Power Master made (guessing) in the sixties that i get out and shoot every once in a while.
It has aluminun limbs and is about 100to 125 lbs. I know a few members have one.
I killed a spike buck with it using a 2117 arrow and a bear razorhead.
This is the oldest crossbow that i know of.
Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

Bow Life wrote:I agree with Tye, like im sure there are robberies arround here, but i know that at any point in time the doors are open at the neighbours house, and same can be said for my house as well (most of the time). But down there in america they really look at the security aspect. Just different from where i grew up. Nothing wrong with it, just different environment! Happy Hunting.
It used to be like that here 20 years ago too. Nobody locked their doors or windows, but it only took 1 robbery/murder to change that. I even new the person that did it. Went all through school with him. He went to the klink for many, many years but the victim is still dead. :cry:

Now for the collecting of old Crossbows. I would think that the no longer in production compound Excalibur would merit some thought of finding and holding on to. I know I would like to own one.
Savagevervet

Post by Savagevervet »

Wow. I had no idea that the words "home security systems" would cause such a stir. I just wanted to know if there were any pre-Excalibur crossbow makers whose bows had become collectors items. Sometimes it's interesting to see how these conversations evolve.

For what it's worth, the recent ice storms knocked out power to more than three-quarters of our city's residents. (Some are STILL in the dark two weeks later.) The extended power outage prompted many people to buy portable generators to run refrigerators, stoves, etc. And wouldn't you know it? A small but effective contingent of thieves began running around and stealling the generators.

You can call me crazy, but if a thief is willing to risk getting caught schlepping a 70 lb. generator from the eave of a house, would he think twice about stealing a couple of antique sporting guns that weighed 50 lbs. less and were worth twenty times as much as the generator? I doubt it, but you can call me crazy if you will.

Like I said, I was just curious if there was such a thing as a collectible antique crossbow. :wink:

TSV
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Sorry to get off of your topic with the post. Had a respose to a comment but don't know anything about collector crossbows.
Why ride when you can walk!
RayfromTX

Post by RayfromTX »

I've been trying to get on for almost two weeks but I couldn't get activated. I have a crossbow that I bought in 1980 from a man named Thad Martin. It is a hunting crossbow with a 125+ lb. pull. It shoots 7/8" broadheads with very high accuracy at 20-30 yards. If zeroed at 20, drop at 30 is 12" so you have to know your distance. I can easily hit a targei at 50 yards with a 60" holdover if the wind is calm or properly doped.

I will try to post pictures:

Now the bad news. Last Friday after these pictures were taken, the aircraft aluminum alloy bow broke while cocking. Thad's wife is going to look for a replacement in Thad's shop but he died in '94. I've looked all around the internet and they truly don't make them like this anymore.

It is lightweight and powerfull, a dream to carry in the woods. Thad made each one carefully by hand. The only part that came from a factory was the double set triggers. I have it set at just a few ounces. I wish my rifles had triggers that broke that clean.

I was excited to see this thread but it turned out like my google searches, with very little or no info about the beautiful old crossbows. Back in the eightys, it was difficult to find a good hunting crossbow. Thad hadd an organization that he founded called the American Crossbow Association with an annual gathering and competition and quarterly newsletter. It died with him.

Has anyone seen one of these?
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hey, Ray ...

Neat crossbow!

I like the fish-belly stock design, and that bodacious rollover comb ... ambidextrous in design, no less. That triggerguard and set-trigger assembly is from a Thompson Center Hawken rifle, or a clone. The builder should have put the patchbox on ... it would have been a good place to keep string wax!

You can get another prod made for that bow ... there are lots of manufacturers who make reenactor crossbows that use similar prods. I'd look around the net and see what you can find. I am certain you can relplace it, perhaps with some minor adaptations to your stock.

Best of luck!

TYE: I am the "home security system" on my place. Anyone who's up to mischief had best be sure the old bear isn't around first! :D
Grizz
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hey, Ray ...

Just a for-instance, but the first search, first page, first picture I opened featured a crossbow with a similar one-piece aluminum prod. In this case, it is bound on, but the prod is the same type, I believe. Check it out:

http://www.freegatearmory.com/

There are lots of others making the same sort of prods. Hope you can find one that will work on yours. I feel sure it can be done easily.
Grizz
Cal

Post by Cal »

That's cool.