Meridian GOLD GPS - Anyone have this one?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

John Wade

Meridian GOLD GPS - Anyone have this one?

Post by John Wade »

I have an offer to buy one of these with:

- MapSend CD (streets & destinations for Canada, USA)
- 128MB memory card ($40 value)
- all the cables
- holder for automotive, boat, etc.

For $200.00

Any experience in the group to tell me to jump or run away.

jw
John Wade the Dog Trainer
www.johnwade.ca
Rich

Post by Rich »

John,

I have this model (actually 2 of them), I believe it is being discontinued by Magelean since Wal-Mart has had them on clearance for $150 for some time now. It is very easy to use and has more features than I need. I like it because the screen and buttons are bigger than the compact models, much easier to use with my fat fingers. If you buy it let me know and I'll burn a copy of the topo program for you. $200 with all the accessories your getting appears to be a good deal.

Rich
John Wade

Post by John Wade »

I just talked to Magellan. Is this true? You need more software to give you actual directions to a destination? The MapSend CD (streets & destinations for Canada, USA) CD is just a map used to mark waypoints but not type in an address and have it plot a route for you? It can find the address but show on the screen whether you should be turning left or right etc.

I think he said the software needed for the turn by turn is called Direct Route.

Do I have this correct?
John Wade the Dog Trainer
www.johnwade.ca
Rich

Post by Rich »

I can't vouche for the Direct Route software. What they said about the Map Send is true, it will only plot the most direct route to your destination. It does not give "turn here" type commands.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Hey John i have the platnium series and I love it...I never have problems with it and its 4 years old now......mine doesnt plto routes for me but it can along with the software help you set waypoints for traveling that have helped me alot...Its a great GPS..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

the directions given by the Mapsend cd is in fact as the crow flies. A copy of the topo would be cool though!! :wink: :wink: It would be nice toget ahold of the direct route software also. I've got the magellan gold and i like it. Turn by Turn is a bonus but my wife can even co-pilot me with the MapSend software. It is a bit of a pain having to zoom in to see the smaller streets though.