Helo pilot saves deer on lake

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Digger

Helo pilot saves deer on lake

Post by Digger »

NORMAN, Okla. (AP) - The pilot of a TV news helicopter used wind from the aircraft's rotor to push a stranded deer to safety after it lost its footing on a frozen lake and could not get up.

A small crowd had gathered to watch the deer struggling, its hooves repeatedly slipping, near the shore of Lake Thunderbird around 4 p.m. Wednesday.

With the helicopter's camera rolling, KWTV pilot Mason Dunn used the wind from the rotor to push the deer, initially sending it into a break in the ice where the animal managed to hold on to the ice with its front legs.

Dunn then lowered the helicopter and the wind sent the deer sliding on its belly across the ice until it reached shore. It then scampered into a nearby wooded area.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

I saw that on the News Digger. Nice clip it was.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Saw a clip of it yesterday, but I can't find it again. :oops:
Neat how he scooted it to the shore.
wabi
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

I saw that also on the News. About 6 or 7 years ago a young doe did the same thing right in front of our trailer on our property. I was a little leary of stepping on the ice, so I phoned a local cowboy, and he came with a rope/lasso. He lassoed him around the neck and pulled him off.

Grey Owl
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

What about the duck hunter that took a bird and put it in the fridge, two days later his wife opened the fridge and saw the duck move it's head.
The duck is now at a wildlife sanctuary recovering from a broken leg, wing and infection from the shot.
This duck is pretending to be dead even when handled by the vets at the wildlife sanctuary, i guess that's why he ended up spending two days in the fridge.

Saw this last night on the evening news, it's somewhere in the us but can't recall where.
TYE

Post by TYE »

pphoenix wrote:What about the duck hunter that took a bird and put it in the fridge, two days later his wife opened the fridge and saw the duck move it's head.
The duck is now at a wildlife sanctuary recovering from a broken leg, wing and infection from the shot.
This duck is pretending to be dead even when handled by the vets at the wildlife sanctuary, i guess that's why he ended up spending two days in the fridge.

Saw this last night on the evening news, it's somewhere in the us but can't recall where.
HAHA that's an odd one.. :lol: :lol: :shock:
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

I guess the hunter shot it, went to pick it up and the duck pretended to be dead as a defense mechanism. The even showed the duck on tv, it was something like a mallard female. i couldn't really tell what it was but that what it looked like.
TYE

Post by TYE »

Wierd, I never heard of that one before, but I suppose it could make sense.
golfcat

Post by golfcat »

I live about 15 minutes from that lake and used to fish there quite often. The pilot is now a local celebrity. He flies for the local CBS affiliate and is usually found flying way too close to tornadoes. The odd thing is he's not even the best chopper pilot around. The NBC affiliate has a pilot that is considered even better. Both of them routinely help the police track people in car chases after they get out on foot and usually rescue people several times a year from localized floods, etc. It's nice to see one of them get this kind of recognition.

Roger
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

I saw that clip on the news last wek about that deer on the ice, thought it was pretty cool how the deer just slid across the ice... as far as the duck goes, I saw that on the news last night.. Now I don't know about you, But I have never kept a dead duck feathered with guts intact in the fridge for two days, seems a bit ridiculous to me..... Glad the duck will survived the person who shot the duck does not deserve it .....
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

I also told that to the wife, weird to keep it with guts and feather in the fridge for two days. unless he was taking it in to a taxidermist, to get it done up. maybe it was is first.
Rage_A_Holic

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

I found the clip; for those of you who have not seen it.

Warning; Although there is nothing obscene within the clip, the link is to a site which hosts the video. The host site may have some content which may not be safe for work. Check the link at home; or at a job with lax internet rules.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/2007/01/deer-on-lake.html
[img]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/948/sig2ty6.jpg[/img]
Hipwader

Post by Hipwader »

Awesome