still hunting till the 31st

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mdcrossbow

still hunting till the 31st

Post by mdcrossbow »

Yesterday evening I had 2 doe's walk in about 5 minites before last light and I waited to see if a buck was following but no such luck. So I'm finding the when the deer move through this area I'm hunting which is a creek bottom with to ridges and homes on both side the wind is usualy blowing down range I put a little corn out and hopefully away from the dirrection the wind is delivering scent. This worked yesterday and at 15 yards I went and took #11 for the year. Maybe this afternoon the buck will show. The deer are moving very late so sitting for an hour and a half is not bad.
Big John

hunting

Post by Big John »

Sounds like your freezer is ready until next fall eh? :)
Good going there mdcrossbow!
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

bucks are bascially night time movers now.. they have had 2-3months to get use to hunters and know how to avoid them. Also, a good buck isnt going to come into corn you throw out. Unless they were use to it in that location. If you put food out where they arent use to it, then they know something isnt right. Doe can be fooled, but bucks wont

ya'll get a whole extra month to hunt compared to us in Va
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

HD, I'm hunting a funnel that the deer have to use to get to the field. I'm in Potomace neiborhoods where it is all funnels. If they pass through the corn is an enticer. I seen them many times and have watched allot of bucks hitting the corn as they pass through. For the most part your right on big properties or leases. Hunting in the neiborhoods is a little different type of hunting. Bow only, dog's barking, kid's playing and people walking all with-in sort distances of the deer and allot of times insight.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

you need to move on down and hunt Charles County :lol: :D Everytime I go through that area to Buds Creek raceway I think there has to be some monstors in those marshes... sure enough, they killed that huge 26pt their this year. Whats bad is everyone's gonna go to MD and the Potomac River to hunt now :roll:

sounds like you have the area will scouted so goodluck on these last few days man... let us know how ya do. Then its over for almost a whole year :evil: I cant wait for shed hunting to start up in march;)
widowman

Post by widowman »

Dave nice to hear you are still at em.

I was finally able to connect on Saturday. I took a nice doe at last light.

Once again, the Excal Exocet took care of business.

talk to you soon

Wayne
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

crazy I have a 550 acre lease in Charles county that butts up to the river. I've seem one hugh buck their 2 times out of the 6 trips I made this year.

Wayne, today and tomorrow will be it. I'll get out both evening.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

MD, was that close to the farm that the crutchfield guy took that deer on? Either way, you are in prime deer land around there! Expect to see lease's go up now cause everyone looking for land there. Its good for us, cause people leave here and move up there though so we can grow some deer around here once again:-P HAHAHHAAH
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Their are not that many deer down their compaired to Montgomery county and there have been some big boys taken here.

I hunting also down in Va. in about 17 miles north of Fork Union on 350 acres and have seen a few nice bucks their and loads of deer and turkey.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Counting today we still have 5 days left .... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Our last day is today. Yesterday evening my son and I went out , he hunted a property about 7 miles north of the property I was hunting. I have 2 doe's walking in and the snow was just beginning to fall and I get a call from Jarrod saying he hit a nice 8 after about 6 doe's and a 3 bucks walked into his area. I didn't take one of the doe's so I could go help him look for his buck. Jarrod left and came back to my shop to get Flash Lights and by the time he returned the ground was covered over with an inch of snow. We serched for a few hrs and nothing.
I just get a call from him and he found his buck in 2' of water laying up against a root system by a log jam with a high lung shot. He said my foot prints were with-in a yard of where he found him. I suspect that he made his way to the creek after we left the area last night.
I hope to take a deer this evening and let him deal with his own deer this evening LOL. But as a dad I'll help if needed after the last hunt of the season though. .