O/T Retirement

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

I love Ohio. I have lived all over the world. I always wanted to end up back here in my home state.

Right now I am scouting property in SE Ohio. I am going to buy 50-100 acres, that is the plan anyway. Waiting for my final retirement to kick in, Jan 1 08 at the latest. I get one retirement check now but my pay will nearly triple when my other one kicks in.

Ohio has very logical hunting regs. And is the most xbow friendly state. I do think many of the three deer states need to be taken back to 2 deer. I would like to see our peak population of deer over 1 mil. just prior to hunting season. Right now it goes between 500K and 700K during peak.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Does Ohio have many public areas or military bases to hunt. I've thought of moving there once I retire also. My 3 requirements are: hunting opportunity, crossbows allowed all season and military base within a few hours.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

From the Ohio DNR's Hunting Regulations:

"Poisoned or explosive arrows are unlawful."

Sorry, Bob. No way am I going to give up my explosive arrows. :wink:
Grizz
Tar Heel

Re: O/T Retirement

Post by Tar Heel »

bstout wrote:The "Little Dove" doesn't know it yet but when we retire (coming up shortly) we're moving to Ohio! I've spent many hours reading Ohio's DNR/Division of Wildlife web page. The State of Ohio puts every other State to shame in my opinion when it comes to having their heads on straight. Just the opposite is happening here in Wisconsin.

http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/regs/default.htm
bstout, Good luck I've been retired 6 years now and I would have to B very Stout to make my little dove move so I could hunt.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

Rich wrote:Does Ohio have many public areas or military bases to hunt. I've thought of moving there once I retire also. My 3 requirements are: hunting opportunity, crossbows allowed all season and military base within a few hours.
Yes there is good public hunting. There is one very large base, Wright Pat., not sure about hunting there though. We have a local ANG base, but no hunting. I was an ATC guy in the FAA tower there and used to see herds up to 24 deer standing around the Airport proper.

I saw coyotes there back when no one thought they lived in Ohio.

No hunting there though.
buckeye

Post by buckeye »

Ohio has some of the best public hunting in the states. With Wayne National Forest, Shawnee, Hocking, Tar Hollow, Zaleski and the AEP lands just to name a few. And the best thing is that at any one of Ohio's public land you have a chance to kill a real trophy deer. And as bstout stated it is one of the few States that is very liberal and on the cutting edge of game management. Our bow season opened up on September 30th and ends this weekend on February 4th. We can hunt any game animal on Sunday. As you all know crossbows are legal during the general archery season and scopes are allowed on ALL hunting instruments. We can also use handguns during the firearm season as long as they are a straight wall cartridge. Spring Turkey season runs for 4 weeks and you can kill two Toms. The fall turkey season usually last two weeks but the archery only season contiues for another two weeks but you can only harvest 1 turkey;either a Tom or a hen. Ohio also has a youth season for small game, turkey,deer and waterfowl that opens for only one weekend one week prior to the scheduled opener of that particular species. A very accommodating state for all type of hunters.
BUCKEYE

A man who makes no mistakes usually doesn't make anything at all.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Ohio has a lot of public hunting areas. There are several lesser know areas that provide good hunting and see little traffic.
We even have a few good bucks roaming around. There's good small game hunting, and even a place or two to catch a fish. And I've heard rumors there are some wild turkeys out there, too.
wabi
Rich

Post by Rich »

Thanks for the info, I've got 2.5 years until my 30 years in the Navy is done. Can a person live on a yearly retirement of 50-60K up there. I really don't want to work to hard, just hunt and fish a lot.

Rich
Country

Post by Country »

I would think you could hack it with that amount of retirement income. Health insurance is one of the hardest things to pay out for but with your 30 years in the Navy don't you get health care for life? I don't know where Glouchester, Va. is but I guess it's somewhere near the ocean. I hope you have a home there to sell to relocate to Ohio. I live in Virginia's mountains alongside of Shenandoah National Park. My retirement date is Sept 29, 2009 so I guess we'll become old retired farts at just about the same time. My vision is failing and I don't hear too good. It's almost time for me to be allowed to drive 40 mph in the fast lane of a 60 mph highway. Just kidding but atleast at 6'3" I won't be peering under the steering wheel. Best of luck!
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Rich wrote:Can a person live on a yearly retirement of 50-60K up there?

Come down to North Carolina ... lots of us are living on half of that already, and we aren't retired :!:

You could live like the rest of us and hire someone full-time to do all your work ... hunt and fish 24-7!
Grizz
Country

Post by Country »

Hey Grizz, Im wondering where Gum Neck is. I like NC for the fishing. Not only is the off shore and beach fishing great but the lake impoundments are fantastic to. I've been fishing the little alligator river for bass and I own Lake Gaston. I was runner up Mr. Va. Bass a few years ago. The Smokies are awesome.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Grizzly Adams,

NC is definetely an option I've considered for the fact that state tax is not taken from your military retirement.

Rich
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Rich: Come on down! Where else on the east coast can you see deer, black bear, bobcats, red wolves and bald eagles all from your study window in the space of a few days?

Of course, come quick and don't tell anyone ... or we won't be seeing things like that in the future!

PS: We do have this little "wind problem" from time to time. Thought I should tell you, in the name of full disclosure.
Grizz
Rich

Post by Rich »

Grizzly Adams,

I used to do a lot of hunting in Shawboro and South Mills. Did see a few bear down there also.

Rich
OneShot

Post by OneShot »

I,ve been semi retired since 1999.

But the warden thinks otherwise; so don't change her mind please !

She is scheduled to retire Aplril 1st.

No jokes please !

The plan is to tour both of our great countries until hunting season, then again pikcup the wandering ways , once I gather enough time in the fields.

Hope she never gueses my plan !

Oneshot..........
Leave the concrete jungle behind and just go hunting !