is noise really a problem?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I think the question is...

If Excal made a quiet xbow which was just as fast and everything else was the same as your current bow, would you get the quiet one

or if you were looking for xbows and they had a quiet exocet200 and a normal loud exocet 200, which would you buy :lol:

I'd by buy the quiet ones hands down.. not that something like that would ever be made though LOL

I just dont want to scare the lil critters off that are feeding next to me :lol: :D
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Bstout said: "Grizz: Shooting while standing on the ground is exactly the same as from a tree stand when sharp angles are involved."

Yep. Elevation is elevation. We ain't got none, beyond base! I have virtually no experience shooting downward or upward. When I say it's flat around here, I mean flat like the proverbial pancake. There isn't fifteen feet of elevation variation across this whole county! It's the coastal plain. My farmland varies from 3.6 to 3.8 feet above sea level. They say it came from the constant lapping of the ocean ages ago. Maybe they're right. Dig down five feet here and you're into seashells the size of BB shot.

As you note, angle considerations remain constant wherever one is elevated or shooting uphill, even as the very slight angle considerations when shooting in this flat country bear always bear keeping in mind.

Personally, I use a method I learned in reading a Peter Hathaway Capstick book concerning hitting the vitals. I picture a rubber ball suspended in the animals chest, and aim to skewer that ball rather than aiming at a particular point on the hide. Works like a charm ... and automatically factors in angle. Experience in shooting at angles is another thing!

Longbow shooting is also a great way to learn about the realities of trajectory. Most of them include the angles for you ... one up on the way and one descending ... that old "rainbow" shot. :D
Grizz
xeon

Post by xeon »

maddog

Post by maddog »

Great video Xeon.....But in the video, we dont know the distance the shooter let go of the arrow....nor do we know that the sound of release was what caused the deer to react.
At some distance, maybe 45 or 50 yards, the deer can jump the string, depending on speed of arrow. Or perhaps the deer saw movement before arrow was actually released. But the video was interesting.....just dont draw firm conclusions from it. The previous writers, I think, all had valid points. Besides, does it matter if the "noise" is 3 decibles or 50? I doubt it ....the deer will jump at any level of noise it hears. So why bother just reducing noise level?
Enjoyed the video though....Thanks for sharing.
Bill
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

maddog . . .good points on the video. I personally think from the angle of the shot, it was a clean miss. But, like you said, who knows. There are some others that look better, but, you have the same problems . . .no way to determine what really happened.

Lowering the sound may reduce the chance of spooking the deer at longer ranges. For example, I have quietly given my position away from 25-30 yards and instead of running, the deer have actually come closer to inspect the sound. Therefore, I believe, there could be benefits depending on the sound and the range. However, the precieved benefit is all that counts. :wink:

I put the dampener on my Exomax for the additional benefits . . .but the quiet release and low vibrations is nice.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
JohnBo

Post by JohnBo »

I wonder if there is a problem with the idea that the string jump problem is minimized by only taking short range shots. The chance that the deer will jump on releasing the arrow may be greater when the noise occurs in close proximity to the deer. A deer that is farther out may just look for teh source of the noise.

Imagine someone claps directly behind your head. You will jump from reflex. There is no time taken to think about what the noise is and decide what to do. This is the way a deer reacts. It doesn't consider all the options it just reacts.

If the noise is father away the threat will not seem as immediate and the deer may look for the source instead of reacting.

In the video that xeon posted the deer was alert and looking toward the hunter. It also seemed as though the shot would have been high anyway.

Here is another site with some video that might give you something to think about.

http://www.bowsite.com/BOWSITE/features ... ngjumping/

This deer is obviously calm and not looking toward the hunter.

I think string jump or just the chance that a deer will make a sudden move will always be a problem with a slow projectile like an arrow.

John
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Quote from the website . . .

"Does the Bow make a difference?

Yes and no. Most of my visitors know that I shoot longbows and recurves. These bows are inherently quieter than compounds. Some of these new, lightweight compounds sound like a .22 when they shoot, however what you gain in decibels, you will typically, also gain in speed. The faster the arrow gets to the deer, the less the reaction will cost you. The flip side is true for my trusty recurves. They are not shooting 300 fps, at best 200 fps and more like 185. This dramatically slower (albeit, quieter shot) arrow allows the deer to move further before the arrow hits."
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

sumner4991 wrote:Quote from the website . . .

"Does the Bow make a difference?

Yes and no. Most of my visitors know that I shoot longbows and recurves. These bows are inherently quieter than compounds. Some of these new, lightweight compounds sound like a .22 when they shoot, however what you gain in decibels, you will typically, also gain in speed. The faster the arrow gets to the deer, the less the reaction will cost you. The flip side is true for my trusty recurves. They are not shooting 300 fps, at best 200 fps and more like 185. This dramatically slower (albeit, quieter shot) arrow allows the deer to move further before the arrow hits."
I want a bow that shoots 400fps and sounds like a needle hiting the floor;) I doubt it will ever happen though LMAO