broadhead test

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

broadhead test

Post by sumner4991 »

I started my initial testing today. I wanted to see which broadhead flew most like a field tip. I used the 100 grain Wasp, Slick Trick and NAP's ScorpionXP. I slected one bolt for all shots, new from the Right Stuff Package(Gold Tip II, 5" vane). I made several practice shots using the 100 gr. field tip(also from the Right Stuff package) first and made sure I was "on target". Then I took the cardboard target and attached it to The Block. I shot once using the field tip, then using that hole as the the bullseye, shot three times using the selected broadhead. I shot the Wasps first, then the Slick Tricks and finally the NAPs. I did aim at the black dot with the field tip . . .the broadhead in the picture is laying at their respective grouping. I used the Exomax and the varizone scope set at 350 FPS.

Needless to say, none of them flew into the same hole as the field tip. However, all grouped well. Two of the wasps and two of the Slick Tricks almost hit the same hole. I shot from 30 yards using my Weber gill as a rest(standing), probably not the best rest. Odd how all the broadheads grouped to the left. I kept my rest the same on all shots.

I want to test different yardages, bolts and fletchings.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Rage_A_Holic

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

Thats awesome! thanks for sharing.

I noticed that the NAPs caused significantly more damage than the other two... especially the Slick Tricks. Is that a good thing; or a bad thing? I suppose broadheads that cause more damage would tear more flesh; but broadheads that cause less damage would penetrate further.

any thoughts?
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Rage . . .the last time I tried to "zero in" the Wasps, they flew all over the place. No good group. I used the same broadhead and the same bolt on every three shots for this test. I changed out the broadhead to the same bolt, then shot three more shots. I didn't want differences in bolt, fletching nor weight to be a factor. Simply testing to see if the broadhead could hit the same hole as the field tip. None did that, the NAP came the closest. The reason for the extra damage in the cardboard may be due to the mechanical blades deploying on impact or it could be how I pulled the bolt out(I believe it was the blades). I would think the clean cuts shown by the wasp and Slick Tricks would be preferred. All seemed to penatrate about the same dept, but, I didn't measure.

My conclusion is . . .the broadheads need to be "zero'd in" prior to hunting with them. I'm not sure why my previous attempt at grouping the Wasps went so poorly. There are a number of possible reasons. I also need to test different yardages to determine which broadhead groups best. I think my next step would be to "zero in" the broadheads and shoot them at different yardages and see how the groups hold.

One more item . . .it's a cold sunny day here with no wind at the time of the test. All blades showed no signs of damage . . .but my Block took some hits. :(

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Normous

Post by Normous »

My setup (same)-Max, GT II and Slicks produced same hole (or very close) impacts as my field points out to 50 yards. My shooting however was done from a cement benchrest using sand bags as stock supports.

Norm
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
speedball

Post by speedball »

sumner, do you spin test the bolt every time you screw on a new head?? i use a set of horizontal wheels that i use to check for consistancy in the tip the slicks are prone to slight wobble when washer is out a little, i had real good results with the slick tricks gold tip bolts and 4" feathers, but i'm switching to carbon express hunters that are 40 grains heavier and i'm using the 5" vanes that come with them, do ya think i can get good groups with a finished weight of 470???? speed..........{i shoot a tenpoint stealth x-2, my exocet is at dads in virginia...}
gone huntin never to return................
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

I think you should shoot 5 field tips and get a circular error. Basically measure the group and make a circle. Anything that hits in the circle I would count as a hit.

So if your field tip group is 3 inches basically anything inside that circle is flying like a field tip.

And always aim at the center of the three inch circle.
:)
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

on the ST's, did you make sure it didnt have any wobble when you put the bhead on? I didnt check mine and wasnt getting good groups, about 4 inches off to the left. I couldnt figure out why since everyone praises these heads so much. Then I did the spin test and had a big wobble prob. I fixed that and I as hitting about 2inchs to the right of center form the field tips and one on top another from 30yards. Thats with 2' blazer vanes and a .410grain shaft.

I tried the NAP's and for groups just as good, just to left of center from the field tips. Both flew like field points and grouped ontop each other(just different locations). I went with the slicks over the NAP's since no speed is loss when hitting the deer. I had a few friends that used the NAP's and the arrow didnt exit the deer. I know the NAP's will open, but having a fixed blade ensures that its gonna be open upon hit and no energy is loss.

good testing though and try using a bench also next time. I had mine setup so the bow didnt move at all so I know user error didnt play a role.

from what I found, about any head will do the trick as long as you sight the bow for that head
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

It's a cardinal rule of bowhunting practice that you sight in your bow using the broadheads you will hunt with, even if they do seem to group close to your field points. It's wise to do this because slight differences from the target bench become significant problems in the hunting field, where weather, excitement, and unrested shooting positions naturally widen groups anyway.

If a hunter picks a quality broadhead from a reputable manufacturer and makes certain that there is no problem with shafts, fletches, inserts and heads, he can then carefully sight in and practice with those heads so that confidence will bolster his hunt in the field and woods. Many good bowhunters practice only with broadheads, because they magnify error and are the equipment that will be used.

I think tests are interesting; I don't do much of that myself because I don't like to spend money on stuff I won't use, or that has to sit around cluttering up my storage. If a broadhead will consistently group 2" to 3" in field practice conditions from various positions at the longest range I will shoot when hunting, I am satisfied, and will use them until they're gone. Then, if I want to try something new, I will.

I learned long ago what a money pit archery can be if you never settle down and stop buying the "latest greatest" ... that's one of the things I'm excited about in shooting an Excalibur ... because I can't see how that basic bombproof recurve design can be improved much. That translates to saved money and profitable practice, in my book.

The supplied Wasps and Gold Tips in the Right Stuff package did fine for me, in testing and in actual hunting. In fact, it looks to me like it's going to be several seasons before I wear out those six, if this one was any indication ... because mine were perfectly reuseable, with a little touchup.

That's fine with me.

Good test and report, Sumner!

I'd like to see some testing using some good old two-blade heads, like Bear Razorheads or Zwickeys ... just to see what they'd do. Would they plane at high speed, as one might expect, or would they surprise us?

Anybody been shooting them?
Grizz
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Grizz, has anyone ever told you that you type alot :P HEHEHHEHE
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

That may be a lot of typing for you, Crazy ... but I only contribute to the forum when I'm taking breaks, for the most part!

It only took me several minutes to write that post, if that. Over the years I've developed the ability to type around 50 words a minute, with few mistakes ... part of my work. I have to produce around 40 pages of written material per week for scheduled public addresses anyway, so I don't think of my forum contributions as being lengthy.

I hope ya'll don't find my commentaries burdensome. :oops: I enjoy participating in this forum. Guess maybe I should "keep my mouth shut." I have enough typing to do anyway!

I'll try to be more succinct in future posts. :D
Grizz
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Well . . .all broadheads were left. I did a simple spin test via putting the tip of the broadhead in my palm and spinning the shaft. No wobble was seen. I did not spin test the NAPs because of their tip design. But, I did spin test the Wasps and the S.T.s before each shot. The S.T. spun very well, much easier to get a good spin than the Wasps. However, for the purpose of testing, a better spinner may be required. The field tips hit almost center except one, which I pulled one inch to the right. I saw the shot as off when the trigger released. The field tip, to the right, hit it's target. I did not notice any pulled shots on the broadhead shots.

I made several(maybe ten) field tip shots before starting the test. They all grouped within an inch, dead center. I was shooting at the black dot in the center of the cardboard(at the "0" mark on the ruler, except for the shot that was right).

I was thinking maybe the insert was off slightly. Another possibility is wind. I was outside on the back porch. It's 10 yards to the end of the house and another 20 yards to the target. I didn't notice any significant wind on the porch. However, past the house, there could have been wind from the North, blocked by the house. I was so interested in the POIs that I may have over-looked the wind beyond the protection of the house.

I thought I covered all the basics. But looks like I may be retesting. I realize what a "money pit" this could turn into, but I think it's fun. At least I don't own a boat. That's what I call a "money pit"! Besides, after I complete my testing, I am done. I'm stick with the set-up I determine is best for the life of the bow.

Grizz . . .I certainly don't mind your longer than average posts. At least I know exactly what you are thinking because your communication skills are above average too. Also, I think I have some of those broadheads left over from my vertical days. I'll dig them out and see how they do next test.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts everyone!

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Well, here I am again ... take a lot of "breaks," don't I? It's tough being your own supervisor! :D

The incessant wind is one of the most frustrating factors about trying to sight in archery equipment here on the coastal plain. The wind is always blowing ... seems so, anyway. There's a reason the Wright brothers came to Kitty Hawk.

It really helps to have somewhere you can shoot inside around here if you want to see what your setup truly is doing. I'll have a 20 yard inside shot in the new house, if I shoot from the breakfast nook, through the dining room, down the utility hall, through the shop door and across the shop!

Better come to the front door when you visit! :wink:
Grizz
speedball

Post by speedball »

bstout, i do the same thing in my ranch from my daughters room through the hallway past the spam and into the mud room is 18 yards a good enough poke for practice when its 0 degrees out with a 25 mph wind--brrr, i love cold weather but this is crazy here!!!
gone huntin never to return................
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Grizzly Adam wrote:That may be a lot of typing for you, Crazy ... but I only contribute to the forum when I'm taking breaks, for the most part!

It only took me several minutes to write that post, if that. Over the years I've developed the ability to type around 50 words a minute, with few mistakes ... part of my work. I have to produce around 40 pages of written material per week for scheduled public addresses anyway, so I don't think of my forum contributions as being lengthy.

I hope ya'll don't find my commentaries burdensome. :oops: I enjoy participating in this forum. Guess maybe I should "keep my mouth shut." I have enough typing to do anyway!

I'll try to be more succinct in future posts. :D
HHAHAHAHA, its no big deal man.. I enjoy reading. I only type with 2 fingers so I'm not as fast as you are;)

bstout, I'm lucky cause my new garage is exactly 20 yards long on the inside. So I have a indoor range LOL. I just pray I never miss the target though LMAO
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Did another test. . .it's cold and very windy here today. Figured I'd test the extreme. Since the last test, I purchased a spinner. Before I started the test, I selected and spun the bolts with each broadhead attached. I detected wobbles in two of my Wasp broadheads! They were not wobbling due to being attached to the bolt, instead they were wobbling at the point. The actual cuts for the tip were off center! Now, I think I found my problem!!

To make a long story short . . .I shot the NAPs and the Wasps from 30 yards in true "hunting conditions", windy and cold. All six shots hit within 1.5 inches.

I got two Wasps I'll sell cheap . . .lesson learned. The spinner was worth the money $12. Spinning the broadheads in my hand didn't expose the flaws in the broadheads. The spinner made it easy to focus on the tip and see the not so obvious wobbles.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen