Suggestions on New Xbow?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mike41

Suggestions on New Xbow?

Post by mike41 »

Well its time for me to start looking for a new xbow, and I need all the input that I can get. Even though I have had a xbow since 1992 I have only had experience with 1 brand that being a Barnett.

First a little info about my situation, I am a quad and therefor hunt from a wheelchair. I always hunt from a ground blind (dog house) my wheelchair takes up a lot of room, so I don't have any space to move around like a ablebody person. I have to position my chair so I can shoot from either the front window or a side window, but there isn't enough room to change position's, plus if I tried to move the chair for a different shot the deer/turkey would hear it.

My uncle bought a Exocet 200 last fall, I shot it several times and really liked it, it seems to have better balance than a compound and a little lighter, "But the size of it (w 36"/L 36.5") prohibits me from using it in a blind, plus I have limited range of motion and it didn't fit me very well."

I have been looking at the Horton Hunter 175 (w 26"/L 32") all I know about them is what I have read on their web site. I have also been looking at the Ten Points the ones that are in the $500./600.00 price range. Again I don't know a damm thing about them except what I have read. I have to keep the $$ range some where around $600.00 so I can still be able to afford the extras that I'm going to need.

I know most of you shoot excalibur's, but for me that doesn't seem to be a option. So I am asking those of you that might have experience with the 2 xbows that I mentioned for your input.

P.S. Anybody else that wants to throw in their $.02 please do so.

Mike41:
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

well mike i cant help much because i shoot barnett too that is what i started with . i have 2 barnetts & like them both. but there are guys on here will help have a nice day.

hatchet jack
they say he is still up there.
mike41

Suggestions on New Xbow?

Post by mike41 »

I'm sorry maybe I didn't make my post clear, I thought about a Phoenix, but Excalibur Bows are to large for me to handle.
So I have no choice but to go with a compound, do to there smaller size.

Mike41:
wabi

Post by wabi »

Look at TenPoint if you can't use Excalibur. They are probably the best choice in a compound model crossbow since their quality and service are very good.
I use Excalibur only, but if I had to use a compound it would be TenPoint.
wabi
warpipe

Post by warpipe »

Hey Mike I can personally vouch for tenpoint crossbow's. My previous bow was a horton hunter which I did enjoy but I did'nt like the dial a range set up. My new elite qx-4 is equipped with an acudraw which many of the guy's here will tell you is a superior cocking aid, which can be powered with a cordless screwdriver or manually cranked. I've shot this bow alot, even killed a couple of deer and it's been great. Check in at their website for a free catalogue and price list for the 2007 model's. Don't worry these guy's will still talk to ya even if you buy a tenpoint! LOL
speedball

Post by speedball »

mike41, i can personally suggest that you purchase a tenpoint crossbow, i own a older model 2004 stealth x-2 model which is 185lb draw, i bought it off e-bay for 350.oo but was gently used and have killed six deer with it and the biggest buck i've ever shot and its been awesome, i need a new set of strings now since i shot it so much, tenpoint has a superior 600.oo bow called the titan tl4. Its 165 pound draw weight that shoots 280. Its 700 dollars with acudraw, fromcabelas. Comes with just about everything you need to hunt with. Tenpoint service and warranty department is second to none. Hope this helps.
speedball :idea:
gone huntin never to return................
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

tenpoint would be my choice hands down if I wanted a compound xbow
Rich

Post by Rich »

Ten Point would be my choice if I went with a compound. I understand your issue with the width, but I would take the width over the extra weight.

Rich
mfh

Post by mfh »

Concur - it an Excalibur can not meet your needs, then Tenpoint is the way to go. Tenpoint can be found at much greater (relative to original MSRP) discounts then you will find for Excalibur...and they are well made and support their products. They also do not hold their resale as well (again in relative numbers) to the Excalubur...so you should definitely find what you need in your price. All that said - there are m any other brands that will do the job at a fraction of the cost...and I can not speak to them. But what I can speak to, is that with every piece of gear I own, the only ones I regret and replace have been items that were not top shelf products...Tenpoint and Excalubur are certainly top shelf...
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

If I were you I would go with the ten point slider or the pro slider.
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

MIKE,
I TOO AM IN A "CHAIR" AND I KNOW YOUR PROBLEM WELL. I FOUND A "NEARLY NEW" BUCKMASTER MAXPOINT ON EBAY FOR 240 BUCKS THIS YEAR AND I AM VERY HAPPY WITH IT. IT WAS MADE BY EXCALIBUR AND BEAR ARCHERY I BELIEVE AND IS A COMPOUND AS WELL. I THINK ALL BUT THE LIMBS ARE EXCALIBUR SO THE QUALITY IS 2ND TO NONE. MAYBE YOU CAN ASK HERE IF ANYONE HAS A MAXPOINT OR PARADOX BOW THEY COULD PART WITH AND KILL TWO BIRDS WITH ONE STONE SO TO SPEAK. PARTS CAN STILL BE PURCHASED FROM EXCALIBUR IF NEEDED.

JAY
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Mike: I've got Excal recurves and a compound xbow. I also have a doghouse blind. I'm a pretty big guy 6'-1" 320 lbs and there's not much extra room for sure. I haven't had any trouble swinging the recurve around inside the blind and I use a pretty fair size fold up chair. I find the recurves being alot lighter in the front to be an advantage for my dinged shoulder, but maybe if you have a friend w/ a recurve you could try it out inside the blind. Those 10 pts are sweet though!
"Eze 18:21"
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

flbuckmaster wrote:MIKE,
I TOO AM IN A "CHAIR" AND I KNOW YOUR PROBLEM WELL. I FOUND A "NEARLY NEW" BUCKMASTER MAXPOINT ON EBAY FOR 240 BUCKS THIS YEAR AND I AM VERY HAPPY WITH IT. IT WAS MADE BY EXCALIBUR AND BEAR ARCHERY I BELIEVE AND IS A COMPOUND AS WELL. I THINK ALL BUT THE LIMBS ARE EXCALIBUR SO THE QUALITY IS 2ND TO NONE. MAYBE YOU CAN ASK HERE IF ANYONE HAS A MAXPOINT OR PARADOX BOW THEY COULD PART WITH AND KILL TWO BIRDS WITH ONE STONE SO TO SPEAK. PARTS CAN STILL BE PURCHASED FROM EXCALIBUR IF NEEDED.

JAY
I bet he will be looking for a while. I bought one for 230 on ebay also, but I have not seen one since. They are getting a little rare I think.