Randy's first Jack Rabbit ( European Hare )

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

Randy's first Jack Rabbit ( European Hare )

Post by R.J. »

Randy S. had seen how much fun I was having during the midweek hunts for coyotes and jacks from the previous posts ...

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... hp?t=16808

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... hp?t=16913

He said to me last week ... " If I take a day of next week do you think we could get into some Jack's ? "

I figured ... no problem , so he took today as a Vacation day and we headed out for his first Jack rabbit hunt !

We started the morning off with our usual steak and eggs at the " Drift Inn "

We spent time on the snowshoes ... hunting fencelines and bush lots .... I got some cool pictures ... and Randy got his first Jack Rabbit !

Some shots of Randy and his dog Abby ...

Randy was carrying his favorite Remington 870 pump and I tried my Remington 552 Speed Master 22 LR .

There were some good trails in the bush , but I couldn't get on the Jacks quick enough with camera or scoped 22 for a decent shot ...

The fence lines proved the best ! But I missed this guy after I took his picture ! :oops:

Another fence line shot and the Jack running away ...

Here is one that didn't get away ... and ended up being Randy's 1st Jack Rabbit ...

Randy came up on him from the opposite side of the fence line , and some heavy # 4's out of the 870 did the trick ... here is the walk up ... and the happy hunter ! :lol: :lol:

The wind and sky got fowl and closed in on us later on ... I got a picture of the changing weather as we headed back to the truck ...

Later in the day ... we came apon what at 1st we thought was a Jack Rabbit hiding in the snow ... but turned out to be a scruffy looking Hen Pheasant .... I got to within approx 6 feet of her before she flew off ...

Anyway .... Randy addmitted ... " it was worth the Vacation day ! " ....

The things we do to put meat on the table ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by R.J. on Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
ch312

Post by ch312 »

all the guys from here in sw ontario should get together one day for a rabbit hunt. i know most here are older so id likely learn a few things :oops: ive been hunting for 11 years but ill never stop learning.

ive never seen anyone get so many pics of the critters you're hunting like you do. good job once again.
mtbyak

Post by mtbyak »

Looks like you had another great day RJ.

Pics are awesome as usual.

Shoot Straight
Kirk
A bad day hunting, is better then a good day of work
BUCKSHOT

Beauty!

Post by BUCKSHOT »

Sssweeeet R.J.
Way to go Randy! 8)
Enjoy the Harvest!
Greylag

Jackrabbit

Post by Greylag »

Congrat's on your first Jack Randy.I'll guess now that it won't be your last.
Real COOL pictures once again R.J.

V.A.
Wishing all of you the wind at your back,
Good friends by your side,
and a lifetime of adventures ahead.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Very nice to see how it's done there. How deep is the snow?
wabi
A.W

Post by A.W »

Looks like you all had a great day....The dog too. :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

Awesome pics and story. Definately looks like fun. Keep 'em coming
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
Camper

Post by Camper »

My god what absolutely awsome pics!

Right On!!!!!!!!
Time and Patience the best advice my Grandfather gave me.

Camper
Hipwader

Post by Hipwader »

Once again RJ, NICE PICS !!!!!
Big John

rabbit

Post by Big John »

Congrats! :) 8)

Now comes the best part, "Eating"!

I'm going out Sat. again , this time with the 870 instead of the Exomax.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Thanks guys .... the pictures turned out good ... we probably could have shot more Jacks if I hadn't been fooling with the camera ! :lol: :lol:

The snow was approx 6 inches standing and drifts up to 3 to 4 feet ... A

At one point I was waste deep on the way back from a Jack picture ... Randy was in the background laughing as I swam out keeping the camera high and dry ! :lol: :lol:

Good luck John when you head out on Saturday ...
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
wabi

Post by wabi »

Sounds very similar to what we have on the ground today. We got hit yesterday with 4 or 5" on top of the covering we already had. I had some traps & snares out, so I rushed out yesterday evening to pull and/or disable them so I wouldn't catch anything I couldn't get to right away. In the hour or so I was out my tracks going in were almost covered. I also made sure the feeder had corn and was working. I feel like by this time of year I have some birds & critters depending on it and like to keep feeding until spring. A small deer or two are eating corn, but most of the big ones are still eating acorns. Wish I'd have taken my camera along yesterday. I found one area of about 100 feet square where the deer had the leaves raked up searching for acorns. At first I figured turkeys, but deer tracks were all I found there!
wabi
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

wabi wrote :
Wish I'd have taken my camera along yesterday. I found one area of about 100 feet square where the deer had the leaves raked up searching for acorns. At first I figured turkeys, but deer tracks were all I found there!
That would have been a cool sight !
In the hour or so I was out my tracks going in were almost covered.
Yep it has been really windy here as well ! .... even my tire tracks get blown over ...

Here is some Jack Rabbit trivia ... from Rabbit Hunting Online .com

Jack Rabbit
(European Hare)

The jack rabbit, which is not a rabbit at all but a hare, was brought into North America from Germany by a farmer living south of Galt now part of Cambridge, Ontario, Canada in 1912. His hares escaped from the farm, and by 1912, the European hare or jackrabbit was to be found all over Southern Ontario, New York State and New England. People are lucky that there are natural enemies for the jack rabbit and that it has not caused more damage to farm crops. It has not caused other native animals to die out either.

The jack rabbit is a large hare about 64 to 70 cm long, which weighs 2.7 to 5.4 kg. It sheds its yellowish to gray-brown hair or pelage twice a year, but does not turn white during winter. The European hare lives alone except during the breeding season in late winter. After a gestation period of 30 to 42 days, three to five young called 'leverets' are born.

During the summer, the jack rabbit eats grasses, herbs (soft-stemmed plants) and some field crops. During winter it feeds on twigs, buds, and the bark of shrubs and small trees. It likes to live in open areas near woodlots and hedgerows.

For short spurts, the jack rabbit or European hare can run on powerful legs 15 to 18 cm long, at speeds of up to 48 km per hour. It can also hear very well with its nine to ten cm long ears. The enemies of the jack rabbit include hawks, owls, foxes, coyotes, and bobcats. The birds of prey hunt the jack rabbit more when it is younger and smaller. It is a favorite game animal for hunters because of its size and speed. The name 'jack rabbit' probably came from its long ears that reminded farmers of the big ears of a jackass or donkey.
jay73

Post by jay73 »

Nice pics RJ. Looks like you guys had a great day out. Well done!

Thanks for the bio. I didn't know much about them, like their size. :shock:

Jay
150 lb Wolverine
165 lb Exocet
175 lb Phoenix