So What Are YOUR Plans For Deer Season 2007?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Grizzly Adam

So What Are YOUR Plans For Deer Season 2007?

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I am planning to:

Build three shooting houses here on the farm ... one for beanfield hunting, one for dike (levee) watching, and one portable on a trailer.

Build three tripod stands for the place ... four legged platforms (semi-portable) about eight feet high, to get me up above the cane and honeysuckle.

Build one permanent stand in the swamp on the western boundary.

Intensively hunt the Hollow Ground Swamp which borders my farm on the west ... a classic seasonally flooded bottomland hardwood forest, complete with wide-buttressed cypress and tupelo gum, spanish moss and the occasional alligator! There are some nice bucks in there. It's part of Pocosin Lakes NWR ... archery, muzzleloader and shotgun only. It is vast and seldom hunted on this edge.

So ... for me, it's the year of stand building ... and the Year of the Swamp Buck.

What sort of year is it for you?
Grizz
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

I am hoping to get a new job so it will be the year of working to save leave for hunting season if everything goes right. It sure does sound like you have a great place Grizz. Do you have hogs running through those swamps too?
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hey, LV2HNT ...

Yeah, this is a nice place to be. 104 acres on this farm ... exceedingly rural, back a mile-long dead end road, no neighbor within a mile and only two within three ... in the midst of tens of thousands of acres of ag fields and tucked up next to more than 200,000 acres of swamp, pocosin and pond-pine bogs. It is my wife's ancestral homeplace. We bought it from her grandma. Her great-great-great grandparents are buried under a big magnolia at the back of the field. We worked like dogs and did without to pay it off, but we're mighty glad to have that deed! We consider it a blessing and a gift from God.

We do have hogs around here now. Someone killed a 450 pound boar about a mile from here last year. I'm sad to see hogs get established. They do a lot of damage. Fortunately, they seem to be staying more to the west and northwest side of the refuge, and over to the Frying Pan. If they get thick around here, I'm going to do what I can to thin them out!
Grizz
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Two words. BIG BUCK! :D
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

My goal for next year is to hunt in nasty weather every chance I get. Oh yeah, and take a big buck.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

I'm going to try and get out more. Too much work and not enough hunting. I'm going to try decoys this year and see how that goes. I picked up a Renzo and I have my target deer so I'll put them up and see what happens.
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

Well my hunting pal and I are going to put up 2 more tree stands and an elevated blind on the old inside field. This field use to be farmed but not for a decade and it is right smack in the middle of the woods we hunt.

I am going to start making mock scrapes early, probably August. I will be putting apples out in two places, I will start this prior to season also. We are thinking about making some more trails in the woods also.

There is a large clearing where we have a stand, I plan to cultivate and plant it as a food plot.

That is about it. I am going to scout like crazy this summer also.

Right now I am gearing up for spring turkey season.
korey99

Post by korey99 »

This year I plan on taking the boys out a bit more...and have a comfy set-up for them. They aren't old enough to hunt on their own with me yet, so I am going to put up a couple of "buddy" stands in prime locations. They're 10 and 11 years old, and have been out a few times with me. They've been lucky enough to see a couple of deer while out, and have helped me drag a couple out of the bush after I harvested them.

My goal this fall is to have one them beside me when I snap a Slick Trick through the ribs of one....

How many more days until Oct 1???? lol!

korey99
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

To shoot one. :D Actually I'll just be huuntinig around PortPerry and Little Britian. Would love to get in with a camp someday but for now I enjoy hunting with my father locally. He has no interest in gang hunting again. Plus going on a Moose trip this year so going anywhere for deer is out of the question.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

as always, take what i learned from last year and apply to this year 8)

But I plan to:

1: Let more decent bucks walk. Meaning, pass on anything under 21inches wide. I let anything under 20 walk this year but even the ones I took this year should have been let go. But someone else would have bagged them in dog hunting season I'm sure.

2: Plant a few lil foodplots. Not sure if I will be able to but I have a few small spots in cutovers I'd like to get my ATV into and plant a little deer food. If not, I'll just hunt off the 600 acres of soybean foodplots we plant everyyear LOL :lol:

3: Take my lil girl hunting more. She's 6 this year so she understands and can actaully somewhat stay still now.

4: Focus on 1-4 tree stands instead of 10 in bad places. I have so many stand sup now that I dont hunt half of them during season.

5: Pay more attention to wind and not overhunting a area.

other than that..... hunt for the big dream buck will taking a few doe to help the heards 8)
taxman

this yr

Post by taxman »

for this comming year i plan on trying out a TREE SADDLE. its kind of a harness style climbing device that tkaes the place of reg tree stands. i will need trees already stepped for this product to work. my knees hurt so much that i cant stand for more than 60 minutes when im using lok on stands. i still love my summit climbers--but some places i hunt have no straight trees. my knees hurt when thay stay bent for more than 15-20 minutes and then i get fidigty and move too much. im probably going to hunt more w/ my bow tec bow(not stryker)--my extreme vft.
A.W

Re: this yr

Post by A.W »

taxman wrote:for this comming year i plan on trying out a TREE SADDLE. its kind of a harness style climbing device that tkaes the place of reg tree stands. i will need trees already stepped for this product to work. my knees hurt so much that i cant stand for more than 60 minutes when im using lok on stands. i still love my summit climbers--but some places i hunt have no straight trees. my knees hurt when thay stay bent for more than 15-20 minutes and then i get fidigty and move too much. im probably going to hunt more w/ my bow tec bow(not stryker)--my extreme vft.
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... ght=saddle
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Put up a couple more stands. And get a BIG BUCK!
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

I plan to hunt in R.J. and Shakky's stand this year. :shock:
No need to build my own. :lol: :lol:
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
TPM

Post by TPM »

Got some work to do up at the camp. Very bad storm last fall took down a lot of trees on the higher ground. Access trails are blocked in a number of areas. I plan on a chainsaw week-end sometime in early spring to clean up that mess.

Later in the summer we want to build a few permanent tree stands and ground blinds in a few strategic spots. Also want to add a small bunk room to the back of the cabin and build some sort of apperatus to hang deer.

Of course come September 19th this is all done between grouse hunts. :D

And relaxing around the campfire. :D